Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Core i7 issues with video

Options
  • 29-03-2012 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I've got PC building experience since there were 80286 CPUs, so I have seen a few years in this "art". Never have I been so frustrated with an issue like this.

I build a new PC before xmas, switching from AMD to Intel for the first time in many many years. Why did I do that I wonder. I swapped around everything to solve a recurring system crash, every time I start a video on youtube (or game for that matter).

I have tried:
    - Fresh PC builds with nothing but the chipset and GPU drivers = fail
    - Swapped between a Sabertooth P67, Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD5 to a ASUS Maximus IV = fail
    - Switched RAM around from working systems to this one = fail
    - Switched HDDs around = fail
    - Switched GPUs between a GeForce 460 GTX, ATI HD 6850 and a GT 210 = fail

The only things I have not switched so far is PSU, CPU and chassis. The CPU is a Corsair 800W and should be no problem. I've been debating to RMA the CPU, but I have read of people having video issues with the same CPU and swapping it without success. I really don't want to waste another few weeks only to be facing the same issue again.

I currently have the Maximus IV in with the ATI HD 6850. I can't shake the feeling that Intel's integrated GPU is causing some kind of conflict, but I see nothing in the BIOS to disable it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

it seems unlikely to be the onboard GPU because you were using a P67 chipset, which disables it by default. you could try under or overclock it on the z68 board though.

could you explain your problem in a bit more detail?

have you done any overclocking on the CPU?

Have you tried stress testing it for stability? Download 'Intel burn test' and run it for 20 or more passes on maximum settings. that will take a while so be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

I've experienced a similar problem in the past few weeks since I updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers(296.10).
    It's only ever happened to me on youtube and its only the GPU that crashes on me,(screen goes all greeny and starts jumping all over the place) but if i leave it a min it will kick its self out of the crash and i'm back to normal.
    Never happened to me until I updated to the latest drivers, so has be them for me!
    It's only happened to me 3 times btw, it doesn't happen all the time.

P67 sabertooth, 2600K and 560ti

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is it one of those: drivers were not responding, so now they were restarted?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Is it one of those: drivers were not responding, so now they were restarted?
    For me??
    Yeah its the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

Gonna roll back to previous driver if it happens to me again!

Advertisement