Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant format sandisk memory card?

Options
  • 30-03-2012 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi,
    Hope someone can help me on this! i plugged in my sandisk 4.0 GB into m laptop but it says it isnt formatted, so i proceed to format when it says it will delete everything off the card, which i agree to but then it says it cant format my card!!! it works fine in my computer but im getting rid of computer soon so need it to work in laptop!! i also tried using SDformatter v.3.1 but with no avail!!
    any ideas or tips i could do???:D
    thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Will it format in camera?

Are you using the same Card Reader?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

its possible that there are sectors of the card damaged/corrupted ? .... this can and does happen from time to time.

how long have you had the card? what kind of usage has it had? is it SD/CF or another type of card.

it might be time to just buy a new one.... or bring it back to the shop and see if they are willing to send it off to suppliers/manufacturer and hope they find it was faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Always format the card in the camera, and never in the PC/laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

.....but then it says it cant format my card!!!

Assuming it is an SDHC card,
    is the card lock switch in the unlocked position?

How old is the laptop? Some older card readers will work with SD but not SDHC.

If you are using a built-in SD slot in the laptop, try using an external
    card reader instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

CabanSail wrote: »
    Will it format in camera?

Are you using the same Card Reader?

i tried both plugging my camera into my laptop along with just the card , neither works and says it needs to be formatted and it can format in camera as well but seems to do no good :/

• Advertisement

PCPhoto wrote: »
    its possible that there are sectors of the card damaged/corrupted ? .... this can and does happen from time to time.

how long have you had the card? what kind of usage has it had? is it SD/CF or another type of card.

it might be time to just buy a new one.... or bring it back to the shop and see if they are willing to send it off to suppliers/manufacturer and hope they find it was faulty.
    i doubt it i tried plugging it into my computer and works fine in that! just not in my laptop! im planning on getting rid of computer so that why i need it to work in laptop!
    card isnt used much and had it since before xmas time

Paulw wrote: »
    Always format the card in the camera, and never in the PC/laptop.

i tried that but doesnt help at all :(

hbr wrote: »
    Assuming it is an SDHC card,
    is the card lock switch in the unlocked position?

How old is the laptop? Some older card readers will work with SD but not SDHC.

If you are using a built-in SD slot in the laptop, try using an external
    card reader instead.

its in unlock position and my laptop is old! its an inspiron 2650
    and have being using an external card reader, also tried plugging camera into laptop

Advertisement