Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good quality Pub Grub In the City

Options
  • 30-03-2012 12:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm down in Galway for the weekend and was wondering if anybody could recommend a pub that does decent pub grub. Something casual enough yet tasty?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

Front Door is always good or the Quays maybe. They're both city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

The Dail also does decent pub food on cross street. The townhouse was good last time i was there and if the weather stays nice over the weekend you can sit out and watch the world pass by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Recently asked something similar with the added condition it needed to be served quickly. Went on recommendation to The Cellar and wasn't disappointed. Really fast, tasty pub grub.

the Dail got the second most recommendations. I like the Front Door myself but you'll need time to kill due to the slow service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Like newkie said The Cellar is excellent and always fast. I find the Front Door awful hit and miss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Are the Dail and Front Door owned by the same people?

Menus are very similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Kelly's was good the last time I was there, it was a while ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Are the Dail and Front Door owned by the same people?

Menus are very similar.

yes and Sheridans in Knocknacarra

Also the Spanish Arch bar has been excellent the last two times I have been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Townhouse Bar has lovely food....and the Dail is also pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Dáil, the Townhouse or the Kings Head are the best in town for pub grub IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

most places do pretty good pub grub - kings head, townhouse, Dail, front door, buskers, - there's a ton of places to choose from. I like the Front Door stuff, and Busker Browns can be pretty decent too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭chahop

+ 1 for Kellys and The Dail

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Kellys would be my preference.

The Cellar is OK but they seem to be relying on making portions massive rather than tasty, like some kind of postmodern cyarrrrr-very lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Can't beat The Front Door in my opinion. Their pizza deal is a bargain - large pizza, chicken wings and a pint for €12-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I find the Dáil food the best. Townhouse can be great but not mad about their last menu change when I was there. Gorgeous home cut chips though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I had the best Fish'n'chips in years in Kelly's last Friday.... i honestly cannot say enough about how good it was. The batter, the fish, the chips, the tarter sauce, all perfect and all washed down with a cold pint of Hooker.

Put me in a great mood for the rest of the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

McTigs wrote: »
    washed down with a cold pint of Hooker.

Mmmmmmm.... I love hookers!

Handler.ashx?PhotoID=11

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Another vote for the Dáil from me. The food is tasty, not pricey, the menu has plenty of variety and there are always a good few specials.
    Also the manager (baldy tall man) is friendly and keeps the place running smoothly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement