Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat sunburn?

• 30-03-2012 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

hi

im sorry if this is a daft question. my cat seems to be sunburned behind his ears. he is a black and white cat- mostly white than black and his ears are half white half black at the back

now the weathers been fab this week but today he came in at 3pm and went to sleep,came down at 7pm (he had been out since 8AM- i had called him at 11AM and 12pm but he wasnt around) and when he jumped on my lap i noticed the back of his ears were pink. is there any chance he could have been sunburned- its only his ears but they are very thin and its the only part that seems to be pinkish. It doesnt seem to hurt him as i was rubbing his ears and he didnt seem to be in pain

would there be any suncream i can put on him- my last cat was ginger and white but his white was mostly on his chest so never had to worry about this

heres a pic so people can get an idea of his colouring

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

definitely put suncream on his ears
    I had a cat who got skin cancer in his ears and we had to have his ears removed but 6 months later we had to have him put down as it had spread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Skerries wrote: »
    I had a cat who got skin cancer in his ears and we had to have his ears removed but 6 months later we had to have him put down as it had spread

omg im so sorry about ur cat- poor lil mite:(

can i put any kind of suncream on him? they dont make special animal suncream do they? god i sould like such a spaz

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Skerries wrote: »

omg im so sorry about ur cat- poor lil mite:(

can i put any kind of suncream on him? they dont make special animal suncream do they? god i sould like such a spaz
    Hello, I have 2 kittens that are mainly white (specially round their ears!) and when they were getting their shots in the vet a couple of months back she mentioned putting sun cream on their ears. She said any type would do and it's best if its a factor 30 or over! So I've just been using ordinary suncream on them and they haven't gotten burnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 OddOneOut

My cat is mainly white and gets really bad sunburn too - the vet told me to use a high factor sunscreen as they are prone to skin cancer.

The only problem I've found is that she tends to wash it off with her paws so I'm not sure how to get around that.

Yeah it sounds like we are crazy people but you don't have to tell anyone about it! :)

Advertisement