Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much top soil do i need???

Options
  • 30-03-2012 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Ive an area of ground about 35x12 that is sand, because im near the beach.
    I want to grow grass and wanted to know how much soil id need for my area.
    Depth wise, I dont know what i need to grow grass, the sand is hard and its been covered over for years with plastic and a stoned area.

Can anyone advise?

I also phoned a number advertising top soil that has no big lumps in it. Its delivered off a truck, not in bags. The number is on the road side at the top of turvey rd near the new petrol station. Guy wants 60euro a ton! Wont budge on price. any advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Get your calculator out: Topsoil question. Presumably you will know the depth to ensure that your grass will level with paths etc. Shop around for topsoil. You will need screened topsoil - which is more than just without the lumps. Lumps of soil you can break up; stones - you can't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

60 euro per ton for screened soil,is a good price.

Make sure it is screened though (no large stones or bits of glass in it,from demiolished greenhouses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zelkova

€60 a tonne is a rip off. I'll get you 20 tonnes for €200 from a good honest guy but from a proffessional point of view you most likely don't need soil from another source than what you already have.
    Lawns will grow on any type of soil and sandy soil will be the most perfect medium for it. you most likely don't need any more in the first place, if you want to build up the levels its just a case just get a someone to take soil from other areas of the garden and put it on top of what you have.
    Pm message me I'll point you in the right direction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Zelkova wrote: »
    €60 a tonne is a rip off. I'll get you 20 tonnes for €200 from a good honest guy

So thats 10 euro for 1 ton of screened topsoil then?

Please show me and tell me where you can get screened topsoil for 10 euro a ton??

paddy147 wrote: »
    €60 a tonne is a rip off. I'll get you 20 tonnes for €200 from a good honest guy

So thats 10 euro for 1 ton of screened topsoil then?

Please show me and tell me where you can get screened topsoil for 10 euro a ton??

The OP didn't specify it was screened soil.
    For lawns it wouldn't be necessary, just rake the stones off the surface.
    This is in the Wicklow south Dublin area, and in loose form.
    If there's a lot of soil required this would be most cost effective

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭DrivingsCool

€60 a tonne is a rip off. I'll get you 20 tonnes for €200 from a good honest guy but from a proffessional point of view you most likely don't need soil from another source than what you already have.
    Lawns will grow on any type of soil and sandy soil will be the most perfect medium for it. you most likely don't need any more in the first place, if you want to build up the levels its just a case just get a someone to take soil from other areas of the garden and put it on top of what you have.
    Pm message me I'll point you in the right direction

This is the current area. There was stones on it before. What do you recommend for growing grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

This is the current area. There was stones on it before. What do you recommend for growing grass?

I am doing a similar project

I also paid 60 euro for 1 ton, cos thats what I needed.
    But the more you buy the cheaper it is
    That was also 1 ton delivered in a bag, loose its a tenner off

I got told that for every inch you want, its a ton of top soil

I only bought it because its easier to get it level on top soil

Thats a hell of a project you have there if its removing everything and then levelling - I'd be tempted to get a few quotes in but then I'm lazy!

I also bought rolled turf at 3.50 a square yard, it cost the same as a big box of grass seed and was quicker and easier

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The OP didn't specify it was screened soil.
    For lawns it wouldn't be necessary, just rake the stones off the surface.
    This is in the Wicklow south Dublin area, and in loose form.
    If there's a lot of soil required this would be most cost effective

Then over time the soil erodes & you have an endless supply of rocks popping up through the grass :rolleyes:

OP be very wary of screened, no lumps, no rock soil. The common technique is that they put the rocks & crap at the back of the lorry. They then put some decent soil in the front. As it is tipped the stone gets covered with soil & you don't notice until you start digging into it.

Always be there to watch it being tipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I recently took delivery of 20 ton of screened topsoil for 300e, I could of got it cheaper but this guy suited delivery times etc. There's plenty advertised on Donedeal etc. but as mentioned you'd probably want to be there to check it's ok. Mine certainly was.

70 quid seems to be the going rate for a 1 ton bag in Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I just got ten tonne for e500, the place beside dunnes in cabinteely, was nice stuff a few stones in it and old roots roots not many though, landscapeproviders.net

e50 a tonne loose
    e60 bagged

• Advertisement

Then over time the soil erodes & you have an endless supply of rocks popping up through the grass :rolleyes:

-Not true if the soil is firmed in properly before sowing

OP be very wary of screened, no lumps, no rock soil. The common technique is that they put the rocks & crap at the back of the lorry. They then put some decent soil in the front. As it is tipped the stone gets covered with soil & you don't notice until you start digging into it.
    [/Quote]

- who are you getting your soil from?

I'd bet you have enough soil there to add more lawn.
    I can see there's some erosion going on at the rear of the garden. Its causing the sand to spill out from the back. You might want to stabilise the dune by encouraging the maram grass to grow more.

I'd say there's more soil under the sand beside where the last few barrels are. You should investigate by throwing the sand back under the maram grass.

I'd spread out the pebble in the foreground and dig it into the soil. When you're finished levelling you're only worried about stones that are bigger than raspberries. Anything smaller can be rolled or just firmed in by foot so's it's not sticking above the finished level, and liable to be hit by the lawn mower.

The lawn will form a mat of roots that'll cover smaller stones and also hold the soil in place.

Judging by the fine sand I'd say there aren't many big stones in that garden at all. You could make a nice feature from any weathered beach stones you find or just bury them in a hole and cover it with soil.

Advertisement