Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polish is the second language of Ireland

• 30-03-2012 5:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have read boards.ie for years but never replied. So I signed up and wanted to say something about the recent articles.
    These two articles I wanted to show:

http://www.thejournal.ie/polish-families-reuniting-in-ireland-as-they-become-largest-non-irish-group-400769-Mar2012/

http://www.thejournal.ie/census-2011-1-77m-say-they-are-able-to-speak-irish-400442-Mar2012/

As a Polish national living in Ireland since 2011 the new census data comes as great news to me.

The census shows that 119,526 of people in Ireland speak Polish at home while only 17,000 speak "Gaeilge" natively in the "Gaeltacht" area. (more like half if you remove the liars?)

Every Irish person I have spoken to about the Gaelic language agrees that it is a complete waste of tax euros and has absolutely no relevace in Ireland today.

As Ireland now has a very large minority of Polish nationals, the money wasted on Gaelic should be directed to the teaching and promotion of Polish in schools.

I think Ireland and Poland can have a very strong connection between each other, both culturally and commercialy and this would be a great way to bond our countries.

I fully support the teaching of major European languages in schools but Gaelic (or "Irish" as they jokingly call it) has no use or relavance in Europe today.

If some minorities want to learn it let them but it should not be funded by us tax payers.

And so this is why I think Polish should be the second offical language of Ireland. Things like road signs and public signs should never be in Gaelic. They should be in English only and maybe some signs in Polish, as then at least 100,000 people will understand them.

Luckily my children have not been forced to learn Gaelic like many people. We only speak Polish at home, and they will pick up the English language automatically outside school.

The Polish moved to Ireland because it has a rich English culture and language. If Ireland spoke Gaelic only it would go nowhere!

Regards,
    Wiktor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Dudek wrote: »
    I have read boards.ie for years but never replied. So I signed up and wanted to say something about the recent articles.

http://www.thejournal.ie/polish-families-reuniting-in-ireland-as-they-become-largest-non-irish-group-400769-Mar2012/

http://www.thejournal.ie/census-2011-1-77m-say-they-are-able-to-speak-irish-400442-Mar2012/

As a Polish national living in Ireland since 2011 the new census data comes as great news to me.

The census shows that 119,526 of people in Ireland speak Polish at home while only 17,000 speak "Gaeilge" natively in the "Gaeltacht" area. (more like half if you remove the liars?)

Every Irish person I have spoken to about the Gaelic language agrees that it is a complete waste of tax euros and has absolutely no relevace in Ireland today.

As Ireland now has a very large minority of Polish nationals, the money wasted on Gaelic should be directed to the teaching and promotion of Polish in schools.

I think Ireland and Poland can have a very strong connection between each other, both culturally and commercialy and this would be a great way to bond our countries.

I fully support the teaching of major European languages in schools but Gaelic (or "Irish" as they jokingly call it) has no use or relavance in Europe today.

If some minorities want to learn it let them but it should not be funded by us tax payers.

And so this is why I think Polish should be the second offical language of Ireland. Things like road signs and public signs should never be in Gaelic. They should be in English only and maybe some signs in Polish, as then at least 100,000 people will understand them.

Luckily my children have not been forced to learn Gaelic like many people. We only speak Polish at home, and they will pick up the English language automatically outside school.

The Polish moved to Ireland because it has a rich English culture and language. If Ireland spoke Gaelic only it would go nowhere!

Regards,
    Wiktor

You must be kidding me. Why should road signs be in Polish? You live in an English speaking country, learn the bloody language, keep your own for home and talking with your friends! Ireland adopted English due to various reasons, oppression, pragmatism, it was the language of the educated people but Gaelic still has its place - throwing your own language completely away means forgetting a very important part of your identity.
    The Polish moved to Ireland because Germany said no and because they could earn more money here than at home, not because they can visit Joyce's grave every week and read Finnegans Wake there. Just like other emmigrants from the new EU states, let's not kid ourselves. Or are you a troll trying to provoke yet another xenophobic debate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Irish is one of our national languages Polish is not. It is not a waste of money to educate our children in our national language. To completely lose it would be an terrible thing in my opinion and in the majority of people in Ireland opinion who you obviously have not conversed with. If next year there are more Spanish people here then Polish should we drop Polish and pick up Spanish. I feel that this is a troll given it’s your first post and that you signed it Wiktor but you never know with good trolls do you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

This is going to be a good one! *Buckles seat-belt*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

:D

Poe's law, definitely.

Just can't be serious.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

At OP, "I see you trollin', I see you hatin'" - I'm going to be honest and give you the response you want ..are you ready!? Okay... Go home to Poland, if you don't like Ireland. We've (Ireland/Irish people) have customised the country far and wide for it's international people, as much as we can without losing out on our own culture, if you're still not happy. Please hop on a plane and fcuk off home, ktnxbai :)

I have to say you guys (AH'ers) were alot more relaxed towards the troll,than say a year or maybe 2 ago. I have seen far worse and alot more stressed out agression pouring from those fingertips of yours (yours being general terms!), basically you actually gave this troll a chance. Perhaps the AHer's have changed, or those lousy ones have left!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dudek

So sorry. I didn't mean to cause any offence. I though this was agreed that Gaelic is disliked. Like I have read lots of forums and I always see the same dislike for Gaelic??

What I was saying was that it is better to teach a European langauge than a language that is no use and cannot be use anywhere else.

Sorry for causing offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I am polish, and strongly disagree wit OP. Not even sure, if he is Polish....
    Signing up to Boards, to start thread like this, i am very suspicious...

As for reach english culture and language being the reason to come to Ireland? LOL There are plenty of good reasons but none of them was that.
    You are not doing us, Polish, any favour by starting this OP.

Go easy on him people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

So sorry. I didn't mean to cause any offence. I though this was agreed that Gaelic is disliked. Like I have read lots of forums and I always see the same dislike for Gaelic??

What I was saying was that it is better to teach a European langauge than a language that is no use and cannot be use anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

This is why the rolleyes is an important tool on boards.

FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

While I do think this is a blatant attempt at trolling.. There is a valid point in the "dislike of Gaeilge" there.. And to be honest it would be better for us to learn a more useful language! I don't think Polish would be the right choice though! Chinese would be better as they are going to pwn the world sooner or later!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

jay-me wrote: »
    While I do think this is a blatant attempt at trolling.. There is a valid point in the "dislike of Gaeilge" there.. And to be honest it would be better for us to learn a more useful language! I don't think Polish would be the right choice though! Chinese would be better as they are going to pwn the world sooner or later!!

False. The US will remain the dominant power for the rest of our lifetimes.

As for the OP, not a bad effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I don't believe the OP is Polish for one second.

Pretty good trolling though I have to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Regards,
    Wiktor

Good man Wiktor!

PS You should at least type like somebody who's first language is not english to make your spiel more believable.

I'd have to give you 2/10 on the trollometer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I don't believe the OP is Polish for one second.

Pretty good trolling though I have to say.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

People thinking that Gaelic should not be mandatory in schools is not the same as disliking. You read those other forums and you saw what you wanted to see without trying to truly understand the core of the debate.

In my opinion you reflect the unfortunate attitude of a lot of foreign nationals in Ireland. You think you know what you're talking about when you don't and then wonder why your people don't get on with the Irish!

However IF a European language were to be made mandatory it certainly would NOT be Polish. Rather I suppose it would be German or French in recognition of our new overlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

He's not Polish he's Trollish.

He didn't come here to eat our swans - he came to eat our goats! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

jay-me wrote: »
    As I mentioned to out trolling OP there's a difference between disliking Irish and merely thinking it shouldn't be mandatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

just because there are a lot of polish people in the country does not mean we (Ireland) should facilitate them in every way - OP I'm offended by your post.

I'm Irish, I spent a number of years learning it - I'm not fluent, and dont speak it regularly but .... I'm Irish and would not like to loose my language simply because a couple of hundred thousand people moved into the country looking for a better life and have settled here.

no disrespect to you OP but.... it is the main reason Polish people moved to Ireland.... in hope of a better life, jobs and money.....if the polish community wish to stick together and create a mini Poland in Ireland thats their right - but dont try to force your culture on another country .... thats just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Come on. It can't be trolling. He's been reading boards.ie for years, even before came to Ireland in last year. He should know by now that trolling is bad... After paying taxes for a year he should be allowed to decide what language you speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MyKeyG wrote: »
    People thinking that Gaelic should not be mandatory in schools is not the same as disliking. You read those other forums and you saw what you wanted to see without trying to truly understand the core of the debate.

In my opinion you reflect the unfortunate attitude of a lot of foreign nationals in Ireland. You think you know what you're talking about when you don't and then wonder why your people don't get on with the Irish!

However IF a European language were to be made mandatory it certainly would NOT be Polish. Rather I suppose it would be German or French in recognition of our new overlords.

:D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

bwatson wrote: »
    False. The US will remain the dominant power for the rest of our lifetimes.

As for the OP, not a bad effort.

Around 2 billion chinese and me disagree with you! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

MyKeyG wrote: »
    <snip>

<snip>

Actually most people in Ireland think they know what they are talking about when they don't. Sounds like this 'foreign' is fitting right in.
    I would agree with other posters though, 'Wiktor' probably speaks less Polish than I do.

Some of the best kids in the Irish class in our school were not born here. They came to Irish without all the baggage so many Irish people do. Compared to Polish, it's not a difficult language to learn.

wonski wrote: »
    Come on. It can't be trolling. He's been reading boards.ie for years, even before came to Ireland in last year. He should know by now that trolling is bad... After paying taxes for a year he should be allowed to decide what language you speak.

Well, he came to Ireland in 2011 to fulfill his lifelong dream of being in Ireland because of its English culture and the great boards.ie After Hours community :rolleyes:
    Trolling, trolling, troll :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Regards,
    Wiktor

Read boards for years, only moved to Ireland last year? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Read boards for years, only moved to Ireland last year? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I heard boards.ie are mandatory reading for little trolls .....

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Maybe they should stop teaching Polish in Poland for this very same reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i thought german was the second language so we could understand the orders ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

You really dropped the ball there Dudek ;)

You should really pull on the green Jerzy. You can't catch a ball, but I'll bet you can catch a swan handy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

OP is a great way to get people to defend Irish.

So I totally agree with his post :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Regards,
    Wiktor

bull**** , this guy is a s much polish as i am Nigerian , troll, don't feed him

Op if you want to start a racist debate, go to storm front or some other bull **** forum like that - D1CKEAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭mercenary2

when poland can actually provide jobs to the irish and supply a decent wage then maybe polish would be a language to teach but under no circumstances should we drop irish infact everything should be thaught through irish..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

OP, It's only good trolling when you get away with it.

You've made some rookie mistakes that shine like a big "troll beacon" over your head.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement