Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

housetraining a grown up dog

• 30-03-2012 6:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

hey all, i rescued one of my two dogs about six months ago and even though she's about 4/5 she pees and poos in the house every night and it's starting to bother the hell out of me :D
    Whether they go out at nine or at half eleven at night for their last pee, I always find pee and poo in the morning. i know it's her because my other dog never soiled and because she's much smaller than him so I can tell from their stool size.

Not to mention when I get up she's always so happy she walks in her pee or poo and then jumps up to greet me, yes, lovely, I know.

What to do??
    Thanks a lot :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Morning!

Would you consider crate training?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skinnygeness

Whispered wrote: »
    Morning!

Would you consider crate training?

yes I would, she's a small girleen and I have a big crate. how would that work in the long term tho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

She wouldn't really need a big crate and when she's starting off it might actually slow things down a bit. If you can divide the space for now then when she's happily staying clean overnight you can let her have the whole space - eventually you probably wont have to crate her at all.

Even older dogs have to develop bladder control and learn how to hold themselves for longer periods of time so really just approach it as you would a puppy.

Advertisement