Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkstown food and drink options (maybe even Blackrock area)

Options
  • 30-03-2012 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Every year we go to Dublin for Taste of Dublin and the day before we go to Thorntons for lunch (some value). This year our ‘complimentary’ accommodation have moved out to Monkstown meaning our access to the city centre is more or less gone.
    Question: Is there any top restaurant in that area… (names please) and also what is Monkstown like in the night time, is there bars/clubs there. We are not minted, merely available of really good lunch offers.
    Excuse my ignorance, I was never there and only know the area when passing through.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Pubs = Goggins. There are no nightclubs in Monkstown, closest both by nature and distance would be Suite 54/Tonic in Blackrock.

'Top restaurants' and not wanting to spend a lot of money does not leave a lot of options.

Low-Mid range restaurants wise; Bistro Spice and Rajan(?) are both Indians, Amerta is a Chinese and Valparesso is an Italian. There is also an Avoca ( not cheap ) and a small cafe, that does soups/sandwiches etc.

Monkstown is 13 minutes on the DART from Tara, and about 15 from Pearse. So not that far from the city at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Is FXB's and Siam Thai still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Hi,

A top restaurant is not necessarily expensive, Dublin restaurants are incredible value for lunches getting Michelin starred meals for €25 per person. Incredible. You spend more in a pub buying steak!.

I am not sure if Monkstown is the spot for me so, doesn’t sound like there is a lot of pubs there. How much is a taxi to and from Dundrum do you know?

Oh I know there is great value out there at lunchtimes, but I just assumed when you said about not being minted you wouldn't want to go above lets say 15/20 per person for a lunch! Most of the monkstown places listed would be less than 10e per head for lunch deal.

In the actual Monkstown village the only pub is Goggins. There are 3/4 pubs in Blackrock, which is 1or2km or so away ( give or take obviously, didn't look for exact distances off google ) it's easily walkable along the coast road.

A taxi to dundrum = obviously depending if it's day / night time

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/dublin/monkstown+/dundrum/13-22

So say between 14-18e each way. The 75 Bus goes from Dunlaoghaire to Dundrum too. Depending where in Monkstown you would be, you could be a few mins from the 75 stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Cheers for all that information, very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

There are restaurants in Blackrock, namely Dalis and Ouzos.

Having said that the dart takes 15/20 mins from town to monkstown, also a taxi would be no more than 20 quid if you go via the rock road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Dart into Dublin and taxi home would be the job, dart in is only 20 minutes and cheap, Taxi home is between €20 - €25, expensive if its just you but grand if theres more.

draffodx wrote: »
    Dart into Dublin and taxi home would be the job, dart in is only 20 minutes and cheap, Taxi home is between €20 - €25, expensive if its just you but grand if theres more.

I always got home for 15e, regardless of time. Just pop up to a rank and ask, without a doubt you'll get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You could head the other way as well. There are a few good restaurants in Dun Laoghaire and Dalkey is also worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

You could head the other way as well. There are a few good restaurants in Dun Laoghaire and Dalkey is also worth considering.

The centre of monkstown village is the crescent. Right by the DART station. There are a good few resteraunts there and the place is lovely. One of the nicest villages in Dublin. Blackrock has plenty of pubs and bars and a few clubs and is the next village to monkstown.

• Advertisement
Advertisement