Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indians boasting that they're 'not Irish'

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They're probably just better Hindi-men than the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭positron

bwatson wrote: »
    that's why dubai is falling down already to be fair. it looks grand but it was made by clueless pakistani workers with little in the way of technical knowledge or ability.

In fairness to all the poor workers in that region, they just do what they have been told to do in an hourly basis. Most of the architects and senior engineers etc in Dubai are from the West, and they make insane amount of tax free money there, where as poor construction workers get paid as much as 10-20 euro a day, and gets put up in what can only be described as labor camps - 10+ people per room etc. A lot of them can't leave because their employer / agent have confiscated their passport, and those who can get away, will land in huge pile of trouble when they get back home as they would have borrowed insane amounts of money to get the job in Dubai in the first place.
    biko wrote: »
    Seems Indians can't spell either.

This is a clear indication that this is a windup job. Indians, those who know English, will very rarely mistake 'we are' for 'were'. You might have noticed, Indians tend to give every word and syllable equal importance and over-pronounce everything. They would never go 'were' for 'we are'.
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    Re the 2010 commonwealth games.

Indians are hardly the concrete master race.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/rlc272/blogs/our_global_village/India_Bridge_Collapse_Thir_s640x403.jpg

That's probably more to do with how good they are in giving/taking bribes than anything else.
    I always associate India with a dose of the scutters

So, you haven't been a local hospital lately? 50-60% Indians in Ireland work in hospitals. Half of the rest in IT. A small fraction does various other stuff.
    India are one of the 'BRIC's nations now aren't they? :pac:

Fact! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

who gives a fook tbh, a lot of irish are lazy bastards, we had it to easy the past few years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

I always associate India with a dose of the scutters

That is a ignorant and racist thing you have said. India is a very spiritual country with alot of culture although there are a lot of problems too with poverty. All the Indians I have ever met before are highly educated, proud and kind people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I wonder is this the same Indian work crew, who were involved in the 2010 Commonwealth Games preparations in India? See here ...
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/09/22/us-games-idUSTRE68K2XX20100922

Some stand out points from the report were.......
    "Officials found that building works had fallen seriously behind schedule and that its allocated accommodation blocks were far from finished and in their view, unsafe and unfit for human habitation," Team Scotland said in a statement
    There have been reports of stray dogs, stagnant water, workers urinating in public, and human feces being found at the unfinished village where the athletes will live
    India scrambled against the clock to save the Commonwealth Games after big ticket athletes quit the showcase event and nations threatened to stay home unless authorities cleaned venues "unfit for human habitation."
    "The safety and health of team South Africa are of paramount importance to us and if at any stage we feel that this is compromised then we will not hesitate to bring the team home," said chief executive of the South African Sports Confederation, Tubby Reddy.
    Instead, the Games have descended into farce with some countries giving organizers an ultimatum of a few days to get everything ready or face the prospect of national withdrawals from an event which is so far only showcasing Indian traveler-tale cliches of filth, chaos and corruption.
    A portion of false ceiling in the weightlifting venue caved in on Wednesday, a day after the collapse of a footbridge by the main stadium injured 27 workers, highlighting the problems facing organizers as they race to complete work.
    Jepkosgei, who was the 800 meters champion at the last Commonwealth Games, and 2007 world marathon champion Kibet, blamed illness and injury respectively. "Sorry people, but I have children to think about. My safety is more important to them than a medal," Idowu had written on his Twitter feed.

This commentary is particularly worrying...
    Indian officials defended their record. "Please try to understand ... They want certain standards of hygiene, they want certain standards of cleanliness, which may differ from my standard," said Lalit Bhanot, spokesman of the Delhi organizing committee.

So feck that :eek:, but if that's the alternative? Then give me an Irish cowboy builder anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Are they Apache,Comanche or Sioux?

Them Comanches are are a rough shower of bastards.I wouldnt trust them to build a footpath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just send a e-mail there to him saying i was looking for a Bricklayer but dont hire Indians and only want Irish or Aussie bricklayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

stovelid wrote: »
    They're probably just better Hindi-men than the Irish.

That is terrible. I did give you a charity like though seeing as it's Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Where does it say anything about them being from India? :confused:

The address is clearly written in Thai,so it must be an Indian tailor who moved from Thailand to become a blocklayer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Kamjana wrote: »
    Where does it say anything about them being from India? :confused:

The address is clearly written in Thai,so it must be an Indian tailor who moved from Thailand to become a blocklayer.

My guess is as good as yours. I say it was a tall Arab from Sweden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

In fairness mike the houses that went up over the last 10 years here are shoite and these are the guys gone to Australia. I wouldn't let them build a dog house let alone a real house. The workmanship is terrible, the materials are terrible, the layouts are terrible, they've filled the country with estates full of ****. It's no wonder there skills are not wanted. A baboon and a bag of coke would have done a better job than a lot of them.

Incorrect for the most part. During the boom there was so much work going around that every brickie worth his salt took on a gang of apprentices and within a few months of their 1st year these lads would be on the trowel themselves throwing up walls.

The work kept coming thick and fast and before you know it the original brickie now considers himself a contractor/builder, take on a few more apprentices, buy a new Merc. The original lads who now have a couple of years behind them are now the senior brickies in the firm, training up the next bunch, and the quicker the work keeps coming, at €1.50 a block, speed is more important than quality to the boss as he can hardly keep up with all the money he's making and to the lads who are probably clearing €1000-1500 a week each. Before you know it he's got a property portfolio and an apartment in Spain. We all know where this ended up.

Similar things are happening in Australia now, the lads who were half taught here during the boom and their mates who have no experience at all are over there throwing up stuff.

There's an element of cuteness involved, they might earn $40 an hour brickying as opposed to a lot less in a shop or bar or farm, if the Aussies are giving them the work, it's hard to blame them for taking $40 an hour in fairness. Gift horse and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

the ones that built priory hall it would seem

In fairness, real Irish tradesmen have a good reputation all over the world, you can't blame a tradesman for poor design/using the cheapest materials possible. The developer is the villain there, as proved in the courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

There seems to be a huge amount of shams over there from here so im not surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Any Paddy's do this without claiming some sort of personal injury? didn't think so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

RasTa wrote: »
    Any Paddy's do this without claiming some sort of personal injury? didn't think so..

No us "Paddy's" adhere to proper health and safety regulations.

Just because he can lift a load of bricks on his head doesn't make him a good blocklayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

No because we don't do it. We use this simple yet ingenious invention called the wheelbarrow:rolleyes:

What sort of a moron walks around with 22 brick on his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

Heh, you say that like the construction industry in this country can afford domestic workers. Or wheelbarrows for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

More pricks than bricks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

elliott550 wrote: »
    Advert on gumtree Melbourne Australia for a brickie gang. Making a big show about how their not Irish (are in fact Indian) and how reliable they are...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbourne-cbd/tradesmen-labour/in-2-all-brickwork-were-not-irish-/1000767526

Bit of a liberty imo...
    Meh, Irish builders have a bad reputation over there (not that all of them deserve it, but you know yourself: many people like to blame anyone of a particular nationality for behaviour by their countryfolk) and the advertisers are just using this as a selling point. It's not like the job ad that said "No Irish" which was active discrimination, it's just a few words that tell truth essentially.
    Pfft.

Potatoes > Curry

No question about that :cool:
    Weirdo... :pac:
    Show Time wrote: »
    Indians and Pakistanis are not to high on my scale of trust to get a job done right.
    Unless it's in medicine or I.T.
    Kamjana wrote: »
    No us "Paddy's" adhere to proper health and safety regulations. Just because he can lift a load of bricks on his head doesn't make him a good blocklayer.
    RasTa is probably a "paddy" too. Love how some Irish refer to other Irish people as if they're a different group...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Us Paddies built Britain and I don't see it falling down. I remember being a kid and watching the Irish guys in London working jackhammers digging the roads laying pipes and cables, building the apartment blocks and offices. Best men you can get. Bollox to anyone who says different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Dudess wrote: »
    Meh, Irish builders have a bad reputation over there (not that all of them deserve it, but you know yourself: many people like to blame anyone of a particular nationality for behaviour by their countryfolk) and the advertisers are just using this as a selling point. It's not like the job ad that said "No Irish" which was active discrimination, it's just a few words that tell truth essentially.

Weirdo... :pac:

Unless it's in medicine or I.T.

RasTa is probably a "paddy" too. Love how some Irish refer to other Irish people as if they're a different group...

When were you in Aus? Judging by the sentence in bold it would appear you never set foot in the place.

Btw the original ad was posted by an Irishman and it has nothing to do with the quality of work of qualified tradesmen more to do with the spring break attitude of the workers he had employed in the past, I would suggest that instead of insulting Irish people he should look and how he selects employees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

MyKeyG wrote: »
    No because we don't do it. We use this simple yet ingenious invention called the wheelbarrow:rolleyes:

Indeed and wasn't the wheel a most useful invention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

SWL wrote: »
    When were you in Aus? Judging by the sentence in bold it would appear you never set foot in the place.
    What sentence in bold? And why would one be required to live in Australia when commenting on something that could be found anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,141 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Everyone in the country is carrying the weight of more blocks than that with the ghost estates alone.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

ejmaztec wrote: »

Everyone in the country is carrying the weight of more blocks than that with the ghost estates alone.:(

Dafuq??? Makes no sense at all. Especially if you try and compare ghost estates here with the real poverty in India.

Pottler wrote: »
    Us Paddies built Britain and I don't see it falling down. I remember being a kid and watching the Irish guys in London working jackhammers digging the roads laying pipes and cables, building the apartment blocks and offices. Best men you can get. Bollox to anyone who says different.

Biggest load of bollocks ever. Less than 12% of construction workers in the UK are Irish and that's about as high as the percentage has ever got.

You're talking shiite, but keep believing it if it makes you happy/falsely proud.

There's nothing wrong with Irish builders, but to say they built Britain is just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You can't fit a wheelbarrow onto a boat tbf.

You can't fit a wheelbarrow onto a boat tbf.
    Well it's funny you should mention that. Your average wheelbarrow has two little legs that allow it to stand alone on say, a river bank or jetty or wherever. Here's one I prepared earlier. A few miles on the clock but she's a hefty girl.

Wheelbarrow.jpg

summerskin wrote: »
    Dafuq??? Makes no sense at all. Especially if you try and compare ghost estates here with the real poverty in India.
    There's plenty of riches in India it's just not spread around the caste system too well.

There's plenty of riches in India it's just not spread around the caste system too well.

Just like Ireland then....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Dudess wrote: »
    Meh, Irish builders have a bad reputation over there

Thats the sad thing, they used to have a great reputation, i worked with two Irish fellas when i started my apprenticeship in 1993, almost all the Irish who went there in the 80's and the decades before built a reputation that a bunch of little mammy's boys have ruined in a matter of years, its the only thing the Tiger Cubs have achieved over there, besides thinking they are important that is:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Just like Ireland then....

To compare the wealth gap that exists in Ireland to that of India is nothing short of pure ignorant. Those under the poverty line here still have it very good in comparison to impoverished Indians.

Biggest load of bollocks ever. Less than 12% of construction workers in the UK are Irish and that's about as high as the percentage has ever got.

You're talking shiite, but keep believing it if it makes you happy/falsely proud.

There's nothing wrong with Irish builders, but to say they built Britain is just wrong.
    you're full of sh1te yourself there pal, I've worked for Murphy, Sierra and Laing O'Rourke and the BEST workers were always the Irish Men - most of the bigger, tougher companies would ONLY hire Irish foremen as they were the sow-dogs who got the jobs completed. When a digger broke, the Brits and Italians would stand around waiting for a mechanic, the Paddy would fix it with a vicegrip. I started for Laing on the Guardian Royal Exchange, I worked for pretty much every big firm going and I still work with the men whos sweat made Pierce, Grehan, O'Reilly, Gannon and co the Millionaires they were before they fecked it up. They'd also chew you up and spit you out if you came with your guff, as would I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Pottler wrote: »
    you're full of sh1te yourself there pal, I've worked for Murphy, Sierra and Laing O'Rourke and the BEST workers were always the Irish Men - most of the bigger, tougher companies would ONLY hire Irish foremen as they were the sow-dogs who got the jobs completed. When a digger broke, the Brits and Italians would stand around waiting for a mechanic, the Paddy would fix it with a vicegrip. I started for Laing on the Guardian Royal Exchange, I worked for pretty much every big firm going and I still work with the men whos sweat made Pierce, Grehan, O'Reilly, Gannon and co the Millionaires they were before they fecked it up. They'd also chew you up and spit you out if you came with your guff, as would I.

It seems every time I hear someone say how great Irish workers are, it's coming from an Irishman....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well it's funny you should mention that. Your average wheelbarrow has two little legs that allow it to stand alone on say, a river bank or jetty or wherever. Here's one I prepared earlier. A few miles on the clock but she's a hefty girl.

Wheelbarrow.jpg

Jaysus, thats a fine solid yoke. You could turf a brasser and a half into that out of the back of the truck and no bother to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Robdude wrote: »
    It seems every time I hear someone say how great Irish workers are, it's coming from an Irishman....

Is it just sheer coincidence all the good construction workers seemingly left according to our eye witness here? I don't want to label an entire industry but from what I've seen and from my own experiences, the Irish construction worker doesn't appear to be the most diligent or hard working in comparison to other nationalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

don't worry lads we can take them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Every country will think they are the best workers. It's our nature.

Nodin wrote: »
    Jaysus, thats a fine solid yoke. You could turf a brasser and a half into that out of the back of the truck and no bother to it.
    Or a boat!

• Advertisement

Robdude wrote: »
    Yeah, probably. Personally, I'm German/Irish, if it helps. I've also been a ganger/forman long enough to know exactly who and what a good worker is. I have to laugh at all the students/desk jockeys/muppets spouting about who works and how. There's plenty of lazy Irish but there are also thousands and thousands of real hard workers. Don't forget, during the boom every cnut was a construction worker overnight - the genuine lifer construction workers are still doing that, construction, the boomers have gone back to what they were before.

Advertisement