Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac driveway

Options
  • 30-03-2012 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Our drive was laid about 15 years ago. It could do with a facelift - but we don't want another layer on it.

The surface is still sound.

Could we just apply hot bitumen to it to refresh the surface - or is that idea a non-starter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

I know this is an old thread but my Tarmac situation is exactly like OPs & I am wondering what you did & looking for any other advice. Like OP my Tarmac surface is OK it's just a "dead" look after 17 yrs in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You're doing extremely well to get to 17 years and still be intact. Surfaces can be spruced with a bitumen paint (applied by roller). It's a bit like make-up, looks great initially, but it too will eventually wear off. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dec the trucker

hi 1966. from being in the business for over 15 years painting over tarmac is never a good idea..bitumen paint is not good enough and in hot weather it will become a messy sticky mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi Guys,
    Hope you don't mind if I tack on a question here.
    My driveway is down 10 yrs and like the posters above needs a facelift.
    this week alone we have had 2 visits from Tarmac Guy's offering to do a job.
    Prices range from 8K down to 5K which i cannot afford at present.
    Is there anything I can do to spruce it up myself?
    Also it has a fair amount of Moss, I treated this 2 yrs ago, with Moss chemicals, which cleaned it up, I also brushed the dead Moss off it, but its back.
    Ant suggestions.

Well martinn123 I'd stay away from the travelling sales men if I were you. It will be a lot worse after them. There are a lot of reputable firms around to do a proper job for you and your money will be well spent. As for the moss the best job for it is the spade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Guys to answer your question YES there is a product available its a polymer bitumen, please do not attempt to get a driveway sealed/painted this time of the year its too damp and normal temps are too cold.
    The product we use is recommended by Irish tar and will bring your drive up like new, yes it will fade but it will extend the life of your driveway by a number of years and it will not get tacky when the weather gets hot, Ive being using it a number of years and its the only product available in our climate that does what it says on the tin.
    As for anyone calling to your door, I always say if you want something done it should be up to you to invite tradesmen to call to your house, and you can make your own mind up on those that cold call.

PM me for more details..

hi 1966. from being in the business for over 15 years painting over tarmac is never a good idea..bitumen paint is not good enough and in hot weather it will become a messy sticky mess.

You lost 5 years in the business over two weeks??http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87708766
    Use the correct Polymer bitumen and it will not become tacky in Hot weather (fact).

macadam wrote: »
    Guys to answer your question YES there is a product available its a polymer bitumen, please do not attempt to get a driveway sealed/painted this time of the year its too damp and normal temps are too cold.
    The product we use is recommended by Irish tar and will bring your drive up like new, yes it will fade but it will extend the life of your driveway by a number of years and it will not get tacky when the weather gets hot, Ive being using it a number of years and its the only product available in our climate that does what it says on the tin.

Is it a product suitable for DIY, or do you need any equipment, sprayer, heater, etc
    macadam wrote:
    As for anyone calling to your door, I always say if you want something done it should be up to you to invite tradesmen to call to your house, and you can make your own mind up on those that cold call.
    Agreed, I live in a rural area, and its obvious driving past that the driveway is in need of TLC, so we get various chancers calling.
    Couple of ''Travelling'' chaps in a van with N.I mobile numbers, my neighbour fell for their patter, and they destroyed his drive.
    Two more local callers pull up in top of the range, 12D, 4X4, and expect me not to assume they are overcharging by a huge amount, to afford that mode of transport.
    One guy called last week, my OH was in, he quoted 9K, and when she said no, he immediately reduced price to 7K. Where did that 2K go?? Chancer.

Thats cold calling for you, he probably would have done it for 2k in the finish, they are on here also. I'll pm you the details..

Thats cold calling for you, he probably would have done it for 2k in the finish, they are on here also. I'll pm you the details..

I've no objection to cold calling, we all need to make a living, just don't show up in a vehicle that says, I am making a Killing, not just a Living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

martinn123 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Hope you don't mind if I tack on a question here.
    My driveway is down 10 yrs and like the posters above needs a facelift.
    this week alone we have had 2 visits from Tarmac Guy's offering to do a job.
    Prices range from 8K down to 5K which i cannot afford at present.
    Is there anything I can do to spruce it up myself?
    Also it has a fair amount of Moss, I treated this 2 yrs ago, with Moss chemicals, which cleaned it up, I also brushed the dead Moss off it, but its back.
    Ant suggestions.

Unless your driveway is in a bubble, you will need to repeat the routine maintenance (usually annually) on a 'need to' basis. ;)

Unless your driveway is in a bubble, you will need to repeat the routine maintenance (usually annually) on a 'need to' basis. ;)[/QUOTE
    I agree with the maintenance needing done annually, which is expected in this damp climate of ours.
    The material We use to replenish the existing tarmac/asphalt surface is recommended to be used every 3-5 years, and it can be done by yourself..

You lost 5 years in the business over two weeks??http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87708766
    Use the correct Polymer bitumen and it will not become tacky in Hot weather (fact).
    Seems like I have a stalker lol. Only offering my advice. Il leave it to you so you seem to have all the answers. (Fact) :D

Seems like I have a stalker lol. Only offering my advice. Il leave it to you so you seem to have all the answers. (Fact) :D
    Im not stalking anyone just stating facts,. Im in the business 35 years and working for myself for over 23 years so I should know a little but Im always learning new things and glad to help others where possible, the stuff some of these chancers are using is tack coat thinned out with waste oil, that will make a nice mess of your driveway and probably the inside of you home also.
    Dec, You never said where the 5 years went?

I took a break. I agree with you on the cowboys spraying tack though. Also in our own business so happy to help out where I can. Between us we might have all the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PaidV

Hi all, any one hear of stoneroad tarmacadam? They gave me a good quote and their website seems impressive but the photos look like they are from Northern Ireland/England. Any feedback would be welcome

PaidV wrote: »
    Hi all, any one hear of stoneroad tarmacadam? They gave me a good quote and their website seems impressive but the photos look like they are from Northern Ireland/England. Any feedback would be welcome

Caveat Emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PaidV

Caveat Emptor

Yes I am aware of that pronciple...Hence why I am asking for a review from people have have used them on the past

PaidV wrote: »
    Yes I am aware of that pronciple...Hence why I am asking for a review from people have have used them on the past

Where are you based, the company you are asking about should have a VAT number and public liability insurance Safety statements Method Statements thats where I would start, then I would ask them for references if they are as big as they are making out they will have a number of engineers they work for etc etc. They have 3 address's !! Which one is there "Head Office"??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Any idea where I can purchase this polymer bitumen? Can it be applied now as I'm in the process of washing my yard..

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    Any idea where I can purchase this polymer bitumen? Can it be applied now as I'm in the process of washing my yard..
    You will need 24 hours dry, dont think your going to get that until late next spring, what are you washing the yard with?
    Irish Tar will supply you.

Cheers I shook washing powder on it a week ago followed by a light power washer, the head has four revolving jets as too much pressure could damage it..

Truckermal wrote: »
    Cheers I shook washing powder on it a week ago followed by a light power washer, the head has four revolving jets as too much pressure could damage it..

The washing powder could do more damage..

I used very little actually, I used some Jeyes fluid too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

You will need 24 hours dry, dont think your going to get that until late next spring, what are you washing the yard with?
    Irish Tar will supply you.

Which product is the one to go for on that site? Have about 800sqm to top up. I reckon the tarmac is about 10 years old.
    I was also looking at Smart Seal as an option. Just wondering do you have any experience or opinion on their products?
    Cheers,
    R.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Why would the washing powder damage it?

I have a box of it ready to put on my driveway.

Stoolbend wrote: »
    Why would the washing powder damage it?

I have a box of it ready to put on my driveway.

How many car wash bays do you see in tarmac or asphalt ??

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How many car wash bays do you see in tarmac or asphalt ??
    Isn't that because of the jets rather than the detergent? Also, winter washing is going to create freeze thaw cycles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also possibly because it's easier to pour concrete there anyway? shaping it for drainage etc.

• Advertisement

Detergent will eat away at bitumen and cause it to fail, as will the power washer jets,the detergent will also attract algae moss etc quicker than the damp climate we already have.

Advertisement