Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arran Quay Apartments

Options
  • 30-03-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

I am not sure if this is the right place, but I was thinking of moving into this area. Does anyone live there? Know someone who lives there? Is the area nice? etc, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Hi darryn,

Not living at Arran Quay exactly, but just a short walk north/westish of it in Stoneybatter. Area is great, close enough to town to walk to and I've ambled home after a night out along the quays without any hassle. If you don't fancy walking there's a load of buses that stop along the quays and the Luas in Smithfield.

Stoneybatter has a good selection of pubs and reasonable restaurants, Mulligans and Walshes are my favourites. (Nice grub and craft beer in Mulligans, nice atmosphere in Walshes.)

I think there's a Spar close to the apartments but I'm not sure what time it closes at. If stuck there's a 24 hour Centra on Manor Street.

Smithfield can feel a little isolated at night, but again I've never had any problems walking through there. There's a supermarket (over-priced IMO), the cinema and three great pubs. The Cobblestone at the north end of the square has good trad sessions and an amazing beer garden, Dice at the south end is popular with the hipster crowd and Ryans is my favourite pub ever if only because it has a little pool table and ladies undergarments hanging from the ceiling.

(Most of this post is absolutely irrelevant if you don't drink. :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Its 10 years since I lived in Arran Quay so Im sure my information is out of date.

But it was a well maintained complex with no trouble. Huge variety of occupants as youd expect in a large city centre complex.

Build quality is of its time but quiet enough with the exception of the occasional loid music.

I was in the Chandler. Facing onto Church st. Traffic & quite a few sirens passing by 24/7 was the worst aspect. Its a very busy street and at a busy junction so vehicles constantly stopping and accelerating away. The Bridewell, Phibsboro fire station and a main route to the Mater hospital ensure plenty of blues & twos.

Apart from the traffic its a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TripAdvisor

Its ten years since I lived there....great apartment complex, Ive no doubt there have been changes since then but I have the fondest memories of that place. Lived there for 8 yrs, had great neighbours, a lot of us at the same stage in our lives, craic was mighty and the place was very well maintained. Some serious neighbours who were big into maintaining the high standards in the place and served a lot of time on Residents Committee, others who enjoyed a good party and were very hospitable too...kinda defied the reputation of Apartment living being very impersonal and ye never get to know your neighbours....Location of the complex is prime,,,close to all amenities and great Social spots...ye actually wouldnt need a car living there if you are tryn to cut costs like most are at the moment....best of luck if ye make the move but couldnt say much "bad" bout the place.....pity the Quill is gone!!!

Id say its by far the best of the Section 23 Apartments in the city.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2 prodigalchild

I'm sure it is generally a safe and nice place to live, but just on the 'I've wandered home many times with no bother' type comments - you can never be tooo careful: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0425/1224315147457.html?via=mr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I'm sure it is generally a safe and nice place to live, but just on the 'I've wandered home many times with no bother' type comments - you can never be tooo careful: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0425/1224315147457.html?via=mr

To be fair, that could happen in pretty much any area of Dublin. I don't think Arran Quay was targeted, it seems to have been an opportunistic attack

lizt wrote: »
    To be fair, that could happen in pretty much any area of Dublin. I don't think Arran Quay was targeted, it seems to have been an opportunistic attack

Absolutely,,,that poor girl was followed that night so it didnt matter what apartment complex she was going to she'd have been attacked. I used always go in the Church St entrance when comin home late at night cos it was a busy thouroughfare but there ye go you really arent safe anywhere these days, in particular a woman...

Advertisement