Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Monopoly

Options
  • 30-03-2012 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

So we are getting our own Monopoly board!

i was done buying different versions of monopoly but i may make an exception for this :D

Monopoly fans will have to learn a whole new language before rolling the dice on a customised Cork version of the legendary board game.

It is the first Irish county to get the exclusive Monopoly treatment and follows a nationwide poll which saw Cork come out on top for the honour.

Winning Moves, who make the game under license from Hasbro, will unveil their plans for the Rebel county version at Blarney Castle today.

It is set to become one of several Cork landmarks immortalised on the game.

Cobh’s Heritage Centre and Bantry Square, as well as Shandon and the South Mall are also in the running.

But Winning Moves has organised a public vote to decide what other property landmarks will make it on to the board.

Ireland’s tallest building, the near-empty Elysian, is sure to feature, the Mardyke, Lee Fields, and the Lee Road Waterworks should make it, and Fitzgerald Park or Bishop Lucey Park will have to fight it out to replace Regent’s Park.

But it remains to be seen which of Leeside’s salubrious leafy areas, like Rochestown, Montenotte, and Lovers Walk, will replace the traditional swanky Monopoly favourites like Piccadilly Mayfair, and Kensington.

The game makers have also promised lots of other twists and changes, including Cork-themed ‘Community Chest’ and ‘Chance’ playing cards.

The spirit and shape of the customised edition, as well as the rules and playing pieces will not be changed.

The corner squares — Go, Jail, Go To Jail, and Free Parking will also be retained — although it was not clear last night if clamping will feature in the Cork version.

Dan Taylor, the Monopoly manager at Winning Moves, will announce more details today. "We are thrilled to be making this exciting announcement that Cork is Passing Go," he said.

"We were extremely taken with Cork’s great landmarks — historic, heritage and contemporary — and are sure this game will be both a fitting and lasting tribute to Cork."

Voting lines will be set up to allow the public to choose their favourite property landmarks to appear on the board.

It is hoped the game will be on the shelves by October.

* Voting starts at 10.30am today and runs for two weeks. Nominations can be made by emailing cork@winningmoves.co.uk, or on facebook.com/corkmonopoly

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-to-pass-go-on-rebel-monopoly-board-188881.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

What about the figures?

Fat ugly norrie in tracksuit with a buggy?

Fella in random jersey/grey tracksuit pants with a ball and picking his nose?

Scumbag holding a can of Dutch Gold in Irish national costume (tracksuit)?

Girl in dress with her heels in the hand throwing up?

Will there be also dog faeces all over the board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Diabhalta wrote: »
    What about the figures?

Fat ugly norrie in tracksuit with a buggy?

Fella in random jersey/grey tracksuit pants with a ball and picking his nose?

Scumbag holding a can of Dutch Gold in Irish national costume (tracksuit)?

Girl in dress with her heels in the hand throwing up?

Will there be also dog faeces all over the board?

Its not Dublin Monopoly where playing !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Then you must be from different Cork.

Go to city centre any day or evening (watch your step), and you will see all people I mentioned above. From fugly norries on every corner, tracksuiters to puking girls after 2AM.

Do I have to take my camera and make some pictures for you? ... I'm off tomorrow if you really need a proof. It would take just few minutes to get evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Then you must be from different Cork.

Go to city centre any day or evening (watch your step), and you will see all people I mentioned above. From fugly norries on every corner, tracksuiters to puking girls after 2AM.

Do I have to take my camera and make some pictures for you? ... I'm off tomorrow if you really need a proof. It would take just few minutes to get evidence.

and theres no ugly fat people in southside? specsavers anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

booboo88 wrote: »
    and theres no ugly fat people in southside? specsavers anyone?

To be fair though - at least the southside is not a safari park with elephants roaming around the place like a stray dog :D

• Advertisement

wispyman wrote: »
    To be fair though - at least the southside is not a safari park with elephants roaming around the place like a stray dog :D

We get one elephant and we're forever tarred:rolleyes::p
    better than than the heffers in the south side ;)

We get one elephant and we're forever tarred:rolleyes::p
    better than than the heffers in the south side ;)

I know. But you have to make the most of it before the moment passes :p

wispyman wrote: »
    I know. But you have to make the most of it before the moment passes :p

I somehow dont think an elephant roaming in a car park will be forgotten too quickly;)

clearly no one puts baby in the corner(elephants name is apparently baby)

I somehow dont think an elephant roaming in a car park will be forgotten too quickly;)

clearly no one puts baby in the corner(elephants name is apparently baby)

Actually there must be some joke along the lines of:

Man in Blackpool car park says "hey baby, your a good looking elephant".........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

fugly norries on every corner,

I'm a Norrie.. I most be a Fat Ugly one then ?

with 6 kids hanging off me.. But then again last time i check all the Fat ugly and kids hanging off their arms are all around Togher and Ballyphehane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Well its here:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/monopoly-boy-but-not-as-you-know-it-211301.html

and in the shops from 9am!

i think it would be a cool present for any relatives abroad and the like! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

hoodwinked wrote: »
    Well its here:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/monopoly-boy-but-not-as-you-know-it-211301.html

and in the shops from 9am!

i think it would be a cool present for any relatives abroad and the like! :D

Anyone else think that story was a disgrace though? I mean they use terms such as "Monopoly boy — but not as you know it" and "The city’s Shandon bells will ring out across "de banks"" and "Pure Cork like". That irritates me, especially when it's the examiner doing it..

dulpit wrote: »
    Anyone else think that story was a disgrace though? I mean they use terms such as "Monopoly boy — but not as you know it" and "The city’s Shandon bells will ring out across "de banks"" and "Pure Cork like". That irritates me, especially when it's the examiner doing it..

not to mention their clear bias against rugby and how heartbroken they clearly were that the Gaa wasn't in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

not to mention their clear bias against rugby and how heartbroken they clearly were that the Gaa wasn't in it.

TBF though, Munster rugby is a Limerick staple, now if it was Dolphin/Kinsale/Douglas/Cork Con then you could say something but Munster rugby, with its biggest supporter base and Stadium in Limerick making a Cork board is a bit stupid.

Oh and I've no bias towards either GAA or Rugby in fact I'd go out of my way to avoid watching or going to either sport.

Might pick this up for relatives abroad though.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    TBF though, Munster rugby is a Limerick staple, now if it was Dolphin/Kinsale/Douglas/Cork Con then you could say something but Munster rugby, with its biggest supporter base and Stadium in Limerick making a Cork board is a bit stupid.

Oh and I've no bias towards either GAA or Rugby in fact I'd go out of my way to avoid watching or going to either sport.

Might pick this up for relatives abroad though.

Munster is just that though the provence of munster, and they have a large Cork following, not to mention musgrave park..etc it may not be as big as limerick but i can see how so many people voted to have that included.

Munster is just that though the provence of munster, and they have a large Cork following, not to mention musgrave park..etc it may not be as big as limerick but i can see how so many people voted to have that included.

I'd agree with ya, it has a big following here but why not include Musgrave Park so?

People of Cork would be smart enough to relate it with local and Provincial rugby.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd agree with ya, it has a big following here but why not include Musgrave Park so?

People of Cork would be smart enough to relate it with local and Provincial rugby.

true!

i LOVE that blarney castle got the top spot! who voted for that? i would have voted for shandon before them...

true!

i LOVE that blarney castle got the top spot! who voted for that? i would have voted for shandon before them...

Its hard to say although when you think of landmarks I think they've covered nearly everything.

TBH, been from just outside the City I'd think of Shandon Bells before Blarney Castle too.

All depends on the individual I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TwoTokeTommy

I can't wait to play this and get baked!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

dulpit wrote: »

The Examiner has been down the road of cut/paste journalism and tabloid worthy prose with a while now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Trying to figure out where Bantry Square is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Trying to figure out where Bantry Square is ?

Bantry.

evilivor wrote: »
    Bantry.

No we have Wolf Tone Square or The Square but no Bantry Square.

Unless they are talking about some of my ex teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Looks really poor to be honest, just looks like an advert page and a bad one at that.

The 80s version of Dublin Monopoly was much better with just street names.

Also still don't like that Faulkner's Lane has been re-named Opera Lane.

There is nothing like a mini rant on Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FreeTime

Spindle wrote: »
    The 80s version of Dublin Monopoly was much better with just street names.

+1. It's silly with landmarks...would be a lot more fun to see which areas got a purple square and which ones got a yellow one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

FreeTime wrote: »
    +1. It's silly with landmarks...would be a lot more fun to see which areas got a purple square and which ones got a yellow one. ;)

They could have used it a marketing tool to fuel a property boom, and solve the "Bank/NAMA problem"

Everybody would be buying up anything that was on a purple square :rolleyes:

has anybody seen these around? i thought they went on sale today but everywhere is saying tomorrow :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

What an embarrassment.

Did anyone tell them Monopoly properties are supposed to be city streets upon which you build houses & hotels, not an advertising popularity contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Agreed that it looks like an advertising board.

Anyone remember the Cork Monopoly board that they had painted onto one of the tables in the Quad on Tuckey Street, when it was opened? It had streets like Dyke Parade, Patrick Street, South Mall, Grand Parade etc. It was a lot better than this version.

• Advertisement

Goldstein wrote: »
    What an embarrassment.

Did anyone tell them Monopoly properties are supposed to be city streets upon which you build houses & hotels, not an advertising popularity contest.

or a list of what is wrong about Cork

Kinsale Golf course

I wish to point out now that if the head ever gets covered in red diesel, it was not me

Advertisement