Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your level of gaming?

Options
  • 30-03-2012 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭

As in, how much do you game. I'll explain the poll options as i see them. If you're inbetween 2 categories, pick the lower of the two.

Interest
    A general interest in gaming, you'll read about games and play the odd free online game or on someone elses computer/console, but you don't spend money on gaming.

Past-time
    It's something you do to pass a bit of spare time. Like an interest, buy you'll spend a small bit of money on it.

Hobby
    A good interest, and you spend money on it. You don't dedicate all time to your hobby though.

Passion
    A level up from hobby, you spend most of your spare money on gaming or building a gaming rig, surround sound systems, tv's, etc, buy plenty of games/consoles and/or go to gaming conventions.

Addiction
    You need gaming. You have to game every day, if you don't it puts you in a bad mood. You spend money on games, consoles, systems, tv's and everything else to have the best possible experience money can buy. You must have all the latest gaming tech. You possibly pick gaming over other social/work aspects.

Life consuming
    You can't do without gaming. It encompases your life and everything about it. It's and addiction and then some. You choose gaming over everything else, including food. You've burned bridges with friends and ended relationships because of the restrictions it puts on gaming. You're more than likely in debt to pay for the Ultimate Gaming Chair, or that 100' Cinema Screen you built out the back of your house. Gaming is #1, everything else pales in comparison.

What is your level of gaming? 148 votes

Interest
    0% 0 votes
    Past-time
    4% 6 votes
    Hobby
    8% 13 votes
    Passion
    43% 64 votes
    Addiction
    38% 57 votes
    Life consuming
    5% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Definitely hobby (I would like to be in the industry though, reviewing or even learn to code a game!).

I don't really like the way you coined the higher terms, they're very 'anti gaming' to me. I'd rather put something like 'enthusiast' or 'professional' in their place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Probably somewhere inbetween hobby and passion. Probably used to be passion/addiction, but i've not played as much over the last few years. Will still get caught up in certain games (Skyrim, ME3 etc...) and spend a huge amount of hours over a short period of time on them, but overall, it's a hobby these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hobby for me. My interest in games ain't what it used to be though I still play some modern games and do check up the gaming news daily as where the industry goes always interests me.

Currently setting up frontend software to manage all my retro games and consoles for when I build my new machine. Even when I get sick of modern gaming I can always rely on those guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

chin_grin wrote: »
    Definitely hobby (I would like to be in the industry though, reviewing or even learn to code a game!).

I don't really like the way you coined the higher terms, they're very 'anti gaming' to me. I'd rather put something like 'enthusiast' or 'professional' in their place.

I didn't want to include professional as it's a job, it's the spare time activity i'm interested (even though i would love a gaming related job!!!).

And i'm not trying to be anti-gaming, far from it, i promote gaming. I just wanted to see if people are at that level, which does exist, but mostly in China.

It's a passion for me, borderline Addiction!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I selected hobby, probably game 6-8 hours a week, which to be honest is a fair amount of time to put into a single hobby! That said, poker would be a hobby of mine as well (and I work in that industry too) and I spend a few more hours a week playing poker than I do gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Voted passion. I would be on the upper scale of it. Most of my spare cash, spare time etc. would go into gaming. I play in tournament and I went to vegas for a tournament.

So it's definitely a big part of my life but the other two just cut too many negatives on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Definitely a passion. I can go without the vidya for as long as I need to and don't get in a bad mood if I don't play, but I play pretty much every day as it is at this stage. Built a great €800 computer that maxes out everything in September after being stuck with a 360 for years and more recently got a great deal on a second-hand PS3 for some good exclusives. Quite fond of emulating and playing older games too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Addiction - I play games every single day and would be upset if a day went by and I couldn't :)

Not nearly as much as I used to there was a time that I was out of work for a year and a bit that was silly though. Played a stupid amount of CS:S and other games..... I much rather it how I do now and enjoy it far more.

Orim wrote: »
    So it's definitely a big part of my life but the other two just cut too many negatives on them.

They do come with negatives once you go over passion imo. That's why i have the negatives for the upper scale two, because imo after passion it usually does start to have negative effects.

As i said, i'm on the upper scale of passion, and a few decisions could potentially have me in addiction. But i don't think i'm quite there yet. I do reckon though, that if my plan plays through i could be an addict if i get to buy what i want to buy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Passion.

Currently only missing a 360, after building my game rig.
    Good job that my missus is sympathetic to my gaming habits.

When I was single it would have been a level up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I went for hobby. Unfortunately I don't have the time to devote to gaming like a used to. I also have a bit musical past time, so not all my free money goes into games.

That said, I love getting caught up in a good game, and I regularly read up on new games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Options aren't great.

for the longest time i'd say i was addicted but i never got angry if i missed a day here and there. And i didn't really spend all my money on gaming... but i was playing insane amounts of cs and wow up until maybe 3/4 years ago. Now i'd fall into the hobby catagory, love playing games still, don't really have the time to play more than 10 hours a week now (Probably used to play 6 or 7 hours every night and sometimes a lot more) most of which is on a thursday/friday nights when im home from uni and have **** all else to do.

Funny enough.. i probably spend a lot more money now on gaming than i did when i was playing flatout. Never really played other games back then.. now i've a backlog of about 20 games on steam !

Magill wrote: »
    Options aren't great.

I could have made loads of little ones, but i went with the main ones to keep it simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

career

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Passion falling to hobby.

Has to be juggled with the 9-5, soccer, gym and social life.

Lots of games don't interest me in terms of an hour here or there - so its difficult to really have a good session unless I have several hours free. If I only have an hour or so to spare after a tough day then I'd rather watch a TV episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,128 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I would say hobby. While I don't play too frequently, when I do play I'm usually up until about 2 or 3. I also keep up to date with news. Though need to start playing more frequently to at least make a dent on my backlog.

I could have made loads of little ones, but i went with the main ones to keep it simple.

Just meant the descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Passion, has been for years, along with movies would be my two main interests in life, keep up with industry stuff, try to play anything I'm interested in, do miss a bunch of big name games due to time or monies (or lack therof) but try catch up on them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Passion I'd say. I don't normally go a day without a game of something moving up to addiction when I'm going through a WoT or WoW phase.

However I'm not like I used to be.. I find nowadays my time is spent flitting from one game to the next. When I was younger I'd get a game and play till death now with more disposable income and access to torrents I find I play MOST games for 20 mins and switch (many get uninstalled never to be seen again). I still love games but nothing seems to catch my imagination anymore.

The main games I'll continually return to are CSS, DoD, TF2, LFD2, WoT and WoW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Scratch that vote for interest on the poll, I meant to vote past time.

I used play a lot in my teens, but it has dwindled drastically over the last few years and I'm only 22. Just not as into games as I used to be, there doesn't seem to be as many games holding my interest these days.

I go through phases, I may not play a game for months and then may be stuck into one or two for ages on end.

Over the last year I've only had about four games I think. MW3 & BF3, sunk only about 15-20 hrs into each, got bored of them and haven't touched either since.

Where as Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 have given me great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Passion at the moment because I've plenty of free time and has taken over from tv, hardly ever watch tv now, nothing good ever on anyway. Starting to read more also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Hobby for myself , lately i have all the time in the world to play games but i only play games for bout 20 mins a day without switching the console off and doing something else..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

down to hobby from addiction for me over the last 3 years. life kinda got in the way and i started to loose the buzz. though i still get a 5 hour session in once in a while.

Herrick wrote: »
    Over the last year I've only had about four games I think. MW3 & BF3, sunk only about 15-20 hrs into each, got bored of them and haven't touched either since.

Where as Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 have given me great value for money.

Sorry for the derail but 15-20 hours is an only? and doesn't constitute value for money, considering the games probably cost max €50.
    They do come with negatives once you go over passion imo. That's why i have the negatives for the upper scale two, because imo after passion it usually does start to have negative effects.

As i said, i'm on the upper scale of passion, and a few decisions could potentially have me in addiction. But i don't think i'm quite there yet. I do reckon though, that if my plan plays through i could be an addict if i get to buy what i want to buy...

I agree. I phrased myself badly but I meant that in terms of time and money spent I'd probably be up with the addication/life-consuming levels but I don't see myself as having the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

OVER 9000!! (2 pages in and nobody has done that yet, im disappointed)

On a serious note going off your descriptions its probably a past time now and probably fading, I dont get that urge to play a new game or get sucked into them like I used to. Shame because I used to love gaming.

Built my own rig back when I used to play and was thoroughly addicted to warcraft, avoided seeing GFs so I could raid, wouldnt really ever see any mates. At max I probably put in 2 hours a week now, some weeks nothing.

Sorry for the derail but 15-20 hours is an only? and doesn't constitute value for money, considering the games probably cost max €50.

Of course its an "only"... multiplayer based games should expect to see 100's of hours, in some cases 1000's. I really would love to see the amount of hours i've put into cs over the years.. actually... i wouldn't, probably quite scary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

Was an addiction for me for a long time, on and off. For the last 6 months, I have rarely picked up a controller, I've just got bored of them and more important things have come into my life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Sorry for the derail but 15-20 hours is an only? and doesn't constitute value for money, considering the games probably cost max €50

Your post wording is a little confusing?

Yes for MW3 & BF3, 15-20 only, on multiplayer. I got bored of them. When I say value for money I mean I didn't play them half enough to warrant having bought them in the first place.

Where as I couldn't put ME3 and Skyrim down, so they were worth the purchase.

• Advertisement

Magill wrote: »
    Of course its an "only"... multiplayer based games should expect to see 100's of hours, in some cases 1000's. I really would love to see the amount of hours i've put into cs over the years.. actually... i wouldn't, probably quite scary :D

We don't know that he was playing them for the multiplayer and it still seems crazy in the context of value for money considering it works out at ~€2 - €2.50.

And anyway it's just a pet peeve with fairly decent lenghts of time being blasted as not enough and it leads to all sorts of filler being used to pad out games to reach an "acceptable" lenght.

Advertisement