Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your level of gaming?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Passion since i was 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Somewhere between hobby and past time at the moment for me, I'm in my final year at college so getting very little time to play anything recently, haven't touched my xbox since Christmas and only get an hour or two a week on the laptop at most. If I had the time I'd probably put about 8-10 hours a week into it so overall still a hobby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

A passion for the last 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I ticked passion before reading that it involved spending all my free cash on it! It's more than a hobby though. A Hobby, to me, is soemthing you do the odd weekend and maybe buy the odd magazine for. IMO if you're checking games sites, posting on forums and playing daily then it's more of a passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

A good hobby with my family and friends since I was 9.
    Although I do read a lot more industry news than they would, I would not put the monetary passion into it as others do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Past time. Some games I'll go bananas for but at the end of the day it might be a week sometimes where I don't play anything. Got too much life going on.

I suppose I could have also ticked hobby, granted I've refurbished a working SNES, and rooted an Acer Tablet with a PS3 controller to play every cartridge game that ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Id say passion. Games sites are take up most of my bookmarks, they are what I check everyday after my email. Love to read about upcoming titles, industry news and especially tech and retrospective features.

I have lost interest in other hobbies that I once thought would be with me for life, but gaming is still something I love. I spend a huge wedge of cash on an annual basis, or at least every 2 years, on the components for a new gaming PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you don't own a Neo Geo then it's only a hobby :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you don't own a Neo Geo then it's only a hobby :P

not everyone is stuck in 80s!!!!

...so ill take my coat and hit that dusty trail so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Hobby.

Used to be a passion when I was 16-19 and playing competitive FIFA, but have since slowed down. Still buy games I want on release and would guess I play at least an hour a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Helix wrote: »
    career

If you were to vote on your level after/outside of work, what would you be?
    Magill wrote: »
    Just meant the descriptions.

Fair enough. I tried to keep it to the perception of each level, passion being the healthiest high level, and addictive having the negatives that are in any addiction (there's no such thing as an addiction that doesn't have negatives).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Fair enough. I tried to keep it to the perception of each level, passion being the healthiest high level, and addictive having the negatives that are in any addiction (there's no such thing as an addiction that doesn't have negatives).

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

It would be hobby for me now. I spent a fairly significant amount of money on a gaming PC which was well worth it for me.

To my great shame I was a full blown WoW addict for a while, gave up just before the first expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

just a hobby for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

If you were to vote on your level after/outside of work, what would you be?

at this stage, it would be completely non existent im afraid. it's very much just a job nowadays, and i think it's that way BECAUSE it's a job

• Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Helix wrote: »
    at this stage, it would be completely non existent im afraid. it's very much just a job nowadays, and i think it's that way BECAUSE it's a job

That'd be my fear about working in the gaming industry, especially one that reviews as many games as possible. You reckon it may turn you off gaming at some stage? Or are you still enjoying every minute of work? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Hobby - Used to put in a silly amount of hours up until a few years ago, but a full time job, social life etc does get in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

That'd be my fear about working in the gaming industry, especially one that reviews as many games as possible. You reckon it may turn you off gaming at some stage? Or are you still enjoying every minute of work? :)

i dont think itll necessarily turn me off it as such, but there are a billion things id rather do than play a game when im not working

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Was a passion, now a definite hobby and I can see it veering towards past-time. Generally it comes down to more and more responsibilities as I get older taking precedence over gaming and as such gaming just slips down the list of importance in my world.

Advertisement