Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finally The Legals System In This Country Gets Something Right

• 30-03-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

From www.donegalnow.com
    A Donegal father who assaulted an ex-paramilitary who had raped and sexually abused his daughters has escaped jail.

The 37-year-old admitted assault causing harm to the paedophile at Rossnowlagh beach on September 17, 2009.

The man - who cannot be named to protect the identities of his daughters - admitted hitting the pervert with a golf club while he was sitting in his car. When the golf club broke he continued the attack by sticking the shaft of the stick into the abusers side.

Judge O’Hagan admitted that the father had been “overpowered by emotion” when he discovered his two daughters were abused.

He imposed a sentence of 18 months on the father but replaced it with 150 hours community service.

http://www.donegalnow.com/sp/article_manager/detail/father_who_attacked_man_who_raped_his_daughters_escapes_jail

the system it works! it actually works!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Article shortened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Can the father deduct the time he spent beating the shíte out of the paramilitary lad from his community service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Isnt assault a crime too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Fair play, I wonder does that set a precedent in law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Not in those circumstances, its a community service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

[QUOTE=AngryBollix;77855635]Isnt assault a crime too?[/QUOTE]

some people deserve to be assaulted, and this is a prime example , and if you read the tread you will see he was convicted of assault and got community service - well done that judge

he's lucky, i would have beaten him to a pulp and then set fire to the car with him in it - with absolutely no remorse

for to long pedo's in this country have gotten away lightly and in my opinion this bloke got away very lightly indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Dangerous precedent to set.

It's basically saying it's open season on scumbags.

I know most people will agree with it but you're just dropping to their level if you go and beat them up.

I know most people will agree with it but you're just dropping to their level if you go and beat them up.

True and theres every chance they will return the favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

You're giving them what they deserve.

Anybody who thinks you need to 'Just speak to them' seriously hasn't a clue. Stuck in their middle class world, assuming everybody can benefit from talking.

Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Pataman wrote: »
    Fair play, I wonder does that set a precedent in law?

Nope. Same sentencing principles that apply in all cases. If some of you had your way, and mitigation was discounted, people like the perpetrator here would be jailed for a substantial period. Be careful what you wish for.

• Advertisement

Surely this is akin to protecting your property against theft, which means the father would have been able to kill said scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Better to give him a good beating and a few permanent scars than to let it go to court where he'll only get a few months for it.

No sympathy whatsoever for him, he should just count himself lucky he's still breathing. If I had daughters and he'd done anything to them you can bet he wouldn't be doing it again.

probably - but i would imagine most people would have no problem with someone who harms children , the elderly or women getting a severe beating as well as a draconian sentence - all well and good pontificating from afar ,
    but if it was your children/mother/wife he harmed and you met face to face you would not do your best to end the ****ers life ??

you are a more restrained person than most

Very interested to see what the "personal responsibility" crowd have to say about this. He did what he did, surely he should have to face the consequences?

I'm sick of all you bleedin' hearts making excuses for criminals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Paedogeddon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Surely this is akin to protecting your property against theft, which means the father would have been able to kill said scumbag.

only if caught in the middle of the act or attampting it or on defendants property

if it was me that caught someone attempting this to children of mine i don't think the "self defence law" would work as it would be a long, drawn out event over the course of several hours/days inflicting the most pain i could

Killing or assaulting someone as an act of revenge shouldnt diminish it as a crime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

there is a difference in general scumbag and paedophiles

Killing or assaulting someone as an act of revenge shouldnt diminish it as a crime

it doesn't , but it still does not change the fact that most of society would have no issue with what this guy done - in fact i would imagine a lot would have gone a lot further,
    this father must be killing himself with grief , he was not able to protect his daughters from this man

so i FULLY understand and endorse is actions - i agree 2 wrong dont make a right in the eyes of the law , but in the real world he was 100% correct to take this action

if you dont want fathers crazy with guilt beating you with a golf club then dont go near his small children , end of story

i hope the pedo gets what coming to him in prison - unfortunately in Ireland sex criminals are segregated - pity that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If that animal did that to my daughter i would have murdered him and felt no remorse for my actions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Five minutes alone with that scumbag is all I would need. Five minutes. And no weapons. He'd never pee standing up again. In fact, he'd be extremely lucky to ever stand again :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

dj jarvis wrote: »
    it doesn't , but it still does not change the fact that most of society would have no issue with what this guy done - in fact i would imagine a lot would have gone a lot further,
    this father must be killing himself with grief , he was not able to protect his daughters from this man

so i FULLY understand and endorse is actions - i agree 2 wrong dont make a right in the eyes of the law , but in the real world he was 100% correct to take this action

if you dont want fathers crazy with guilt beating you with a golf club then dont go near his small children , end of story

i hope the pedo gets what coming to him in prison - unfortunately in Ireland sex criminals are segregated - pity that

What if his victim had subsequently been found not guilty of the sex assaults? Would it still be ok?

In any case, the man didn't get off because of who his victim was, he got off because the judge decided his emotional state prevented him having control of his actions

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Children are not the property of their parents. They are in their care until they reach adulthood but that's not the same as property.

I think the judge made the right decision in his sentencing in this particular case. I don't know what I would have done to this pervert if he had abused my children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Five minutes alone with that scumbag is all I would need. Five minutes. And no weapons. He'd never pee standing up again. In fact, he'd be extremely lucky to ever stand again :mad:
    Yeah, yeah. Of course you would. :rolleyes:

Why don't you head up to Donegal now and find him? I'm pretty sure if you ask around someone will give you his name. Go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I dont condone vigilantes but this guy deserved it, he sexually abused his two daughters, finally the law is heading in the right direction.
    Actually come to think of it, its a damn shame the pervert is still breathing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I would not ever be in this situation. Said pedo would dissapear one night, never to be seen again, and no one who matters would ever care. Life would go on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

booboo88 wrote: »
    I dont condone vigilantes but this guy deserved it, he sexually abused his two daughters, finally the law is heading in the right direction.
    Actually come to think of it, its a damn shame the pervert is still breathing

Just to clarify the paedophile did not abuse his own daughters, he abused the daughters of the man that subsequently attacked him.

benway wrote: »
    Very interested to see what the "personal responsibility" crowd have to say about this. He did what he did, surely he should have to face the consequences?

Seriously? He was convicted of assault, on a paedophile, who had abused more than one of his daughters.

He got community service for doing a community service, what's the matter with you?

If a dog or any other form of animal kills or injuries a person, they are likely to be put down. That man was a pedophile, thus losing whatever rights he had as a human being, so should be treated as an animal and put down.
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    Children are not the property of their parents. They are in their care until they reach adulthood but that's not the same as property.

I think the judge made the right decision in his sentencing in this particular case. I don't know what I would have done to this pervert if he had abused my children.

I realize that and it was a comment made off-the-cuff.

• Advertisement

bit off topic, but anyways.. Just read that a man got three years for stabbing a schoolboy and lacerating his liver.
    Shouldnt stabbing someone be counted as Attempted Murder?

WTF?

grand little country.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Actually think the judges are getting a bit of cop on.

Them two scummers that tried to rob the cash in transit van in the Tesco in Nass. One of them was claiming that they 'had special needs', the judge said it was 'an insult to people with special needs' and that 'he (brother) knows right from wrong'.

The barrister or solicitor also said 'that this type of thief was at the lower end of the scale of theft'.

What planet is that brief on at the lower end of the scale? Holding up a cash van with about a few 100 thousand in it ? Thankfully the judge had the cop on and said 'this is not like robbing a wallet'.

****ing morons the two brothers and the solicitor, they should **** the brief in the cell with them the gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I think putting him into general population of a prison and letting them all have a go of him would be perfect! Dying would be too good for him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

True and theres every chance they will return the favour

What we have here is an example of lilly hearted liberalism which acts as no deterrent to these offenders.
    Should you not all be off campaigning for the release of Anders Breivik on the grounds of insanity.
    The father wanted justice & he extracted some, I hope he's not the last.

I could not agree more with this course of action:
    Carter P Fly
    I would not ever be in this situation. Said pedo would dissapear one night, never to be seen again, and no one who matters would ever care. Life would go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Yeah, yeah. Of course you would. :rolleyes:

Why don't you head up to Donegal now and find him? I'm pretty sure if you ask around someone will give you his name. Go on.

Yes I would. In a heartbeat. If any piece of scum laid a finger on my children.

My apologies for not breaking that down for you to understand in my original post :rolleyes:

MagicSean wrote: »
    What if his victim had subsequently been found not guilty of the sex assaults? Would it still be ok?

In any case, the man didn't get off because of who his victim was, he got off because the judge decided his emotional state prevented him having control of his actions

i understand your trying to show the flip side here , but have you actually thought about what your saying here ?

his 2 children made it clear BEFORE any trial that this man had sexually assaulted them , now let me get this clear , you honestly believe that these 2 kids would make up such a story and tell the cops? screwed up teen or adults might for attention or revenge , but pre teens??? small kids ??
    subsequently he was was put forward for trial ,
    so lets recap , his 2 kids - the guards and the dpp all thought that the claims had merit then i sure a **** smells the father did......

the pedo got off SO SO lightly - as i stated before i would have ended the ****ers life as if he was a fly, without a hint of remorse or pity
    i would even go so far as saying, if a referendum was held to allow PUBLIC physical castration it would pass with a landslide - barbaric as it maybe,
    its not as heinous a crime as abusing a child

i could live with it NO problem

• Advertisement

Sacramento wrote: »
    Seriously? He was convicted of assault, on a paedophile, who had abused more than one of his daughters.

He got community service for doing a community service, what's the matter with you?

I'd beg to differ on the "doing a community service" bit, but that aside, I think it's ironic that a judge is being applauded here for applying mitigation in view of a diminished responsibility type finding, and the personal circumstances of the accused. Applying the usual principles in sentencing, in other words.

Normally, in cases like that, you'd get a swarm of posters bleating on with "personal responsibility", "do the crime, do the time", wooly liberal judiciary, making excuses for "scumbags" type nonsense. I believe that the likes of this:

is what's known in the trade as backpedaling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Just to clarify the paedophile did not abuse his own daughters, he abused the daughters of the man that subsequently attacked him.

Im assuming he didnt beat himself up?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I'd beg to differ on the "doing a community service" bit, but that aside, I think it's ironic that a judge is being applauded here for applying mitigation in view of a diminished responsibility type finding, and the personal circumstances of the accused. Applying the usual principles in sentencing, in other words.

Normally, in cases like that, you'd get a swarm of posters bleating on with "personal responsibility", "do the crime, do the time", wooly liberal judiciary, making excuses for "scumbags" type nonsense. I believe that the likes of this:

You only get those posts in cases where people assume the person who committed the crime is full of ****, that is to say, from a social class the poster perceives as being lower than theirs.

In this case, a father lashing out due to what happened his children, people are having a tough time rolling out the usual dismissals.

It's this part of your post that got me really:

I wouldn't imagine a man that beat up a paedophile that sexually abused more than one of his daughters would have people calling for him to receive more punishment tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

You can't fault any man for wanting to hammer scum that would lay a hand on their children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

No no, you're overcomplicating this, most people know the difference between right and wrong.

Paedophile abusing 2 little girls and the father beating the daylights out of him = right

Scumbag stamping on someones head for a larf = wrong

Just because our legal system is so far removed from what most people consider to be just doesn't mean that most regular normal people have lost sight of what's acceptable behaviour.

(well to some of us anyway, I appreciate you're a bit special in this regard)

It's this part of your post that got me really

May have been trolling just a little there, take a look at the drunk woman screams at a judge thread.
    from a social class the poster perceives as being lower than theirs.

Exactly.

For some, no punishment is too severe for the lower classes, but when it comes to tax evaders, property developers and vengeful fathers, they suddenly turn into wooly liberals.

People should admit to themselves that they're using criminal justice as a legitimate outlet for their snobbery, and that their views are often informed more by this than by the reality of the system - I think there's a danger that public pressure is going to turn "justice" into war on the lower classes.
    wexie wrote:
    Just because our legal system is so far removed from what most people consider to be just doesn't mean that most regular normal people have lost sight of what's acceptable behaviour.

Oh right, you attend loads of criminal trials, then? You have extensive first-hand dealings with most aspects of the system, including HSE's child-care and the Childrens' Court, do you?

Or do you get your information from the papers? Please, do enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

wexie wrote: »
    No no, you're overcomplicating this, most people know the difference between right and wrong.

Paedophile abusing 2 little girls and the father beating the daylights out of him = right

Yeah, but then you have the cases where innocent people get run out of their homes or beaten due to cases of mistaken identity.

It's a tough one, because i'm the kind of guy who loves a bit of well placed street justice but I also have to understand it's this desire and the expression of it than can foster the above situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

danniemcq wrote: »

lol your example shows the system didn't work

ps i'm not trying to defend the pedo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Where can i sign up to go help that man with his community service?.

You're giving them what they deserve.

Anybody who thinks you need to 'Just speak to them' seriously hasn't a clue. Stuck in their middle class world, assuming everybody can benefit from talking.

Not true.

So who gets to judge who we can beat up?

I can't wait! I think i'm gonna bring my 9 iron :cool:

Jake1 wrote: »
    bit off topic, but anyways.. Just read that a man got three years for stabbing a schoolboy and lacerating his liver.
    Shouldnt stabbing someone be counted as Attempted Murder?

WTF?

grand little country.
    :rolleyes:

I heard the yound lad was a scumbag though

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    What we have here is an example of lilly hearted liberalism which acts as no deterrent to these offenders.
    Should you not all be off campaigning for the release of Anders Breivik on the grounds of insanity.
    The father wanted justice & he extracted some, I hope he's not the last.

I could not agree more with this course of action:

Agreed, i'd do the exact same thing, but it's still against the law, and getting community service for beating someone with a golf club isn't justice tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 oh_nos

I wouldn't imagine a man that beat up a paedophile that sexually abused more than one of his daughters would have people calling for him to receive more punishment tbh.
    It's this I can't wrap my head around, unless of course the person wanting it either thinks that the legal system will punish these excuses of human beings appropriately or agrees with and/or is sympathetic to the crimes these despicable people commit. (the legal system can't do the former)

Whatever your class position in society, if children are your target you deserve a lot more than what the courts could ever throw at you and that includes the actions of the father in this case. If you think otherwise imo your as sick as the people that commit these crimes!

Yeah, but then you have the cases where innocent people get run out of their homes or beaten due to cases of mistaken identity.

It's a tough one, because i'm the kind of guy who loves a bit of well placed street justice but I also have to understand it's this desire and the expression of it than can foster the above situation.

but as i understand this could not have been a case of mistaken identity,
    as i posted above, the cops and the dpp did not think it was a case of mistaken id - they would not have gone near the case otherwise.

i also take from what i read that the pedo was either a family member ( extended maybe ? ) or a family friend - either way the father knew
    and was justified in his actions becasue he was found guilty.

the right man got a golf club across the head , he is lucky the father did not decide to necklace him or had a shotgun to hand

maybe it just me but i dont see any reason for NOT doing what he done
    to take it one step further - if it was me i would have made sure it was done " anonymously " , to save my family from further trauma

i would love to know exactly what " paramilitary " group he was a member of , i seem to remember his brothers in arms taking great delight in taking care of pedos in the not to distant past - maybe said members can finish the job inside - just a thought

• Advertisement
Advertisement