Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

biko wrote: »
    Nope, those are elderly people, kids and pets.
    How does noise pollution only affect those that "don't like the craic" then? You can't say that one group should just get on with it while at the same time agreeing there are other groups who are seriously inconvenienced.
    So while I think we regualr citizens should be able to cope with a bit of noise for one night, having the PA cracked up to 11 of course isn't good for anyone.
    Totally agree. I don't think anybody here has anything bad to say about the Volvo at all, just that this noise level was totally unnecessary
    This is not the same thing as having the VOR in the city.
    Why? They are both significant noise pollution that you have no control over and are really none of your concern.
    Please chill out a bit.
    Why don't you? Who said I'm not chilled? Because I don't agree with you and I'm willing to argue my case you're going to assume I'm losing the rag? Couldn't I say the same about you then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

God help ye all when Peter Gabriel cranks it up to 11 for the finale....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

coleria wrote: »
    Some people in this thread make me sad:(

I was at the docks last night and it was brilliant, wasn't sure if they'd get the same crowds but they did and prob more.
    How does pointing out that the level of noise pollution was totally uncalled for make you sad?
    Has anyone (OK, one grumpy post sent late last night...) asked for the Volvo to be scrapped?
    The number of people who attended is neither here nor there with regards to this issue. There could have been a million people at the docks and nobody would have batted an eyelid if the PA had been at a reasonably loud level. If sound carries so much better at night, couldn't they have allowed for this?
    And who does the thumpin' techno benefit anyway? Sounds like everybody would have had just as good a time without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

1) as suggested you cant cut a corner out of the race so it can finish quicker. all boat had there way planed before they left france, would of been a laughing stock if it was changed
    2) mc was load but at least she knew her stuff re sailors boats etc. we would of been asleep if keith f was there reading names etc. ps even his galway bay fm show is falling.
    3) the boat came in half hour from 1st to 4th over the line, not as simple as sailing sail up in to docks, things to do, sail down etc.
    4) dock gates didnt open till 2 so coming in at 2.15 couldnt of been a surprise.
    5) anyone who didnt want to stand in the cold and is here complaining means they have internet. stay at home till you see the boats 30mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

LimGal wrote: »
    Get a grip for Gods sake.I sure ye will make up your nappy,nappy,sleepy time tonight.:rolleyes:

Of course I will catch up on my sleep some other time, no need to point out that blindingly obvious fact nor to use the kiddie talk nor the rolleyes.

This might surprise you but my job is important to me and I want to perform well in it, not be kept awake through the small hours being forced to listen to shìte dance music and MC on a poorly set up sound system because other people want a party.

The same effect of a fun crowd, alcohol, shiny boats, shìte dance music and annoying shouty woman could have been achieved with a proper sound system with speakers around the docks at a reasonable volume. Instead they blasted it all out from concert size speakers in one or two spots and just let it echo around the area, residents (and sound quality for the spectators) be damned.
    Discodog wrote: »
    The PA noise seems bizarre given that it would of been easy to mount the PA so that excess noise went out to sea. If you live around the docks then tough. After all you get the benefit of nice views etc all year long & the docks are a working area.

The docks are a working and residential area which follow normal noise pollution laws with regards to excessive noise after 11.30pm. Except last night, when there wasn't the slightest compromise in the mission to pump out crap music and a head wrecking MC.
    Kinda sad to read posters hating on the VOR when it's an event that happens only every few years and bring a lot of attention to this small city, including free bands and other activities. But I suppose not everyone likes the craic.
    Stop trying to pretend I'm some dry-balls just because I am annoyed by being forced to listen to shìte dance music and an annoying shouty woman until 4 in the morning on a week night.

The VOR is a good thing for the city in terms of economy and fun, and I wouldn't begrudge either of those things, but that doesn't mean it can't be organised better with some consideration given to the local residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Have to laugh at all the people complaining about the noise. It's one night FFS. Think of all the jobs and millions of euro coming into Galway alone, not some banker as these people also like to complain about. I'd say they're just complaining for the sake of it. I'm sure if there was no V.O.R., they'd be complaining about the Galway festival committee or whatever it is about not doing their jobs and getting events like this into the city.

If you can't put up with 1 nights noise in 3 years that greatly benefits the city, the in my eyes you can p**s off!! Blunt, but it's true.

As for the PA, it would be handy if the organisers wired the speakers so that the sounds were omitted at the same time around all speakers, and not with a delay! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

Pro. F wrote: »
    Of course I will catch up on my sleep some other time, no need to point out that blindingly obvious fact nor to use the kiddie talk nor the rolleyes.

This might surprise you but my job is important to me and I want to perform well in it, not be kept awake through the small hours being forced to listen to shìte dance music and MC on a poorly set up sound system because other people want a party.

The same effect of a fun crowd, alcohol, shiny boats, shìte dance music and annoying shouty woman could have been achieved with a proper sound system with speakers around the docks at a reasonable volume. Instead they blasted it all out from concert size speakers in one or two spots and just let it echo around the area, residents (and sound quality for the spectators) be damned.

The docks are a working and residential area which follow normal noise pollution laws with regards to excessive noise after 11.30pm. Except last night, when there wasn't the slightest compromise in the mission to pump out crap music and a head wrecking MC.

Stop trying to pretend I'm some dry-balls just because I am annoyed by being forced to listen to shìte dance music and an annoying shouty woman until 4 in the morning on a week night.

The VOR is a good thing for the city in terms of economy and fun, and I wouldn't begrudge either of those things, but that doesn't mean it can't be organised better with some consideration given to the local residents.

IT WAS ONLY ONE NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!

Thats why I pointed out the blindingly obvious fact before and it seems it still needs to be pointed out.

And I will use kiddie talk and use rolleyes if I want to.:rolleyes:

You aint a mod so maybe you should try not telling people how to post.

P.S. you sound like you need some sleep.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

As for the PA, it would be handy if the organisers wired the speakers so that the sounds were omitted at the same time around all speakers, and not with a delay! :p
    While I'm sure that's a typo, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would agree with you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Ficheall wrote: »
    While I'm sure that's a typo, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would agree with you :P

I'm hungover, spelling mistakes are allowed! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm not there for it this year. What is the crowd like? Did it turn into a Galway Races type crowd of people getting hammered and acting like d1cks? Or is it like the last time when it was a very nice suprise at how nice of a crowd were around and the lack of hype made it more enjoyable?...in my opinion any way.

• Advertisement

Nice crowd, lots of families.
    Saw no fights or drunks falling about the place.
    Counted about 7 guards on foot and two on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

For those you weren't there, here's a full video

(Part 1)
    http://new.livestream.com/volvooceanrace/Leg9/videos/1786753

(Part 2)
    http://new.livestream.com/volvooceanrace/Leg9/videos/1788137
    (you get to listen to "Her" again, yay)

about 30 mins in, when the first boat enters the docks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Can we have some photos of miserable scenes in the rain please?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

dinneenp wrote: »
    Some Photos from Last night !

Did you take them? Great first one.

Yes, our scouts did a flag color party, and I just kinda followed them up on to the stage. It was good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

LimGal wrote: »
    IT WAS ONLY ONE NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!

Thats why I pointed out the blindingly obvious fact before and it seems it still needs to be pointed out.

And I will use kiddie talk and use rolleyes if I want to.:rolleyes:

You aint a mod so maybe you should try not telling people how to post.

P.S. you sound like you need some sleep.:)

Oh was it only one night? And here was me thinking it was going to be forever. Good job you enlightened me. ...All my points stand, one night or ten.

Don't worry I wasn't telling you how to post, just suggesting a way.
    And just for you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Have to laugh at all the people complaining about the noise. It's one night FFS. Think of all the jobs and millions of euro coming into Galway alone, not some banker as these people also like to complain about. I'd say they're just complaining for the sake of it. I'm sure if there was no V.O.R., they'd be complaining about the Galway festival committee or whatever it is about not doing their jobs and getting events like this into the city.

If you can't put up with 1 nights noise in 3 years that greatly benefits the city, the in my eyes you can p**s off!! Blunt, but it's true.

All the money and jobs wouldn't have been harmed in the slightest by using a proper sound set up and a more reasonable sound level. Anyone with an ounce of cop-on could hear how shoddy the quality was last night and how annoying the shouty woman was, even for people who wanted to hear it.

Nice strawman there saying I would have been complaining if there was no event. Well check my posting history and you will see that isn't true.

If you can't take on board a reasonable complaint, which could be easily remedied by the organisers and a bit of sensible oversight, then you can piss off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Couldn't wait for the boats to come in but got these few pics from yesterday.

712CC15E18694B96999B39DD4CE5BB91-0000324460-0002917428-00800L-63A96AE3F58248558293EA0F5C1C0C8A.jpg

044433BADB2F4E3AB332003D5CBF42FD-0000324460-0002917427-00800L-141EA288D4B149E1A5F13315E0698538.jpg

9BA731B08D8C4BBBB570A7EA976C3317-0000324460-0002917426-00800L-FA74290E3E31440F93EF6AE667D22B3E.jpg

79839C4AD318451C86D8536DE0E82319-0000324460-0002917425-00800L-B9F6C492FE6E4FB985E2BBF6B9740597.jpg

6B133905C61642EEB178B1D4D7E40768-0000324460-0002917424-00800L-3B31938A77694D1F9BFE11F00F9EB5A2.jpg

1E91068D20D34827B8C36AFA70AD7627-0000324460-0002917423-00800L-70229C61E23B4576ACA62421D4651C48.jpg

360E17427A49405986A080F80144D2A7-0000324460-0002917422-00800L-C1148A1FA85948A4BBB6A74237B3E50A.jpg

28582232104646B5A454B72C3E979A7C-0000324460-0002917421-00800L-3C17A3CE2B354A4084FE948BC30EF0E5.jpg

6DD729D73A99435096A9F4BD287D51E5-0000324460-0002917420-00800L-75AB7F599EB245329AC9F554A3B25015.jpg

7923C2F29B574F6A945B75856DD56F55-0000324460-0002917419-00800L-4E9942B23A07417FB4FC3118DCD00A74.jpg

Oh was it only one night? And here was me thinking it was going to be forever. Good job you enlightened me. ...All my points stand, one night or ten.

Don't worry I wasn't telling you how to post, just suggesting a way.
    And just for you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

All the money and jobs wouldn't have been harmed in the slightest by using a proper sound set up and a more reasonable sound level. Anyone with an ounce of cop-on could hear how shoddy the quality was last night and how annoying the shouty woman was, even for people who wanted to hear it.

Nice strawman there saying I would have been complaining if there was no event. Well check my posting history and you will see that isn't true.

If you can't take on board a reasonable complaint, which could be easily remedied by the organisers and a bit of sensible oversight, then you can piss off too.

Wow do you realise how childish you are coming across in your posts!:rolleyes:

Like I said it was only one night it really does seem like you need to be enlightened over and over and over again on this point.:D

Chances are you will never have to put up with it again in your lifetime but the benefit it might have done Galway as whole should be huge.So what if people lost a bit of sleep for ONE night,when you get your tiddlywinks tonight you'll be as right as rain tomorrow again,trust me:)

#ifonesleeplessnightannoyedyouthenyouareinforasurprisewhenyouhaveateethingbaby

mikom wrote: »
    #ifonesleeplessnightannoyedyouthenyouareinforasurprisewhenyouhaveateethingbaby

LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭DaBomb

hey any idea whats gona go on in the finale party in the global arena next on sunday??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

DaBomb wrote: »
    hey any idea whats gona go on in the finale party in the global arena next on sunday??

I heard rumours Peter Gabriel will be performing

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭westerlywonder

I was going to say i cant believe the complaining out of some people, but then i stopped to think and thought of course they are complaining its Ireland! When something bad happens we complain, when something good happens we complain. We love to moan.

For those of you who are living in Galway and upset about the arrival time. You seem to be unaware that Galway experiences 2 high and low tides each day.
    The lock gates into the harbour are closed at low tide + a few hours either side as the water level in the bay gets too low for boats to sail in and out of.
    We are currently at a full moon phase, meaning the variation in high and low tides is more than normal.
    Last nights low tide was around half 8 i think meaning that even if the boats had made it in at a reasonable time the moaners would then be complaining that they didnt get to see them close enough as they would have had to moor out in the bay somewhere and wait for the gates to open.

People have also moaned about the time they left lorient, you can be sure that the organisers didnt pluck a time out of thin air there either and that they were reliant on a time that suited tide wise there too.

Always amazed by the negativity of some people in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Citizens are rightfully complaining about the insane noise level this morning. It was unnecessary and completely out of line. They could have managed it far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

then you can piss off too.
    No need to be uncivil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I was going to say i cant believe the complaining out of some people, but then i stopped to think and thought of course they are complaining its Ireland! When something bad happens we complain, when something good happens we complain. We love to moan.

For those of you who are living in Galway and upset about the arrival time. You seem to be unaware that Galway experiences 2 high and low tides each day.
    The lock gates into the harbour are closed at low tide + a few hours either side as the water level in the bay gets too low for boats to sail in and out of.
    We are currently at a full moon phase, meaning the variation in high and low tides is more than normal.
    Last nights low tide was around half 8 i think meaning that even if the boats had made it in at a reasonable time the moaners would then be complaining that they didnt get to see them close enough as they would have had to moor out in the bay somewhere and wait for the gates to open.

People have also moaned about the time they left lorient, you can be sure that the organisers didnt pluck a time out of thin air there either and that they were reliant on a time that suited tide wise there too.

Always amazed by the negativity of some people in this country.
    But don't you see? According to some people here, they should have planned it a year ago so as to not tie in with a full moon phase. God sake man, they have to tailor this thing to the EXACT wants and needs of Galway people!:rolleyes: People complaining are a joke. Be quiet. 1 night is all it was. Although I will agree on the MC, she was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    But don't you see? According to some people here, they should have planned it a year ago so as to not tie in with a full moon phase. God sake man, they have to tailor this thing to the EXACT wants and needs of Galway people!:rolleyes: People complaining are a joke. Be quiet. 1 night is all it was. Although I will agree on the MC, she was awful.

It's not the event, or the timing of the event that are at issue. It's the poor execution that caused excessive noise for miles around, whoever set up the sound would have to be a blithering idiot because it was ridiculously loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

I think after pages of posts, this is now becoming very repetitive. The common gripe here is accepted by most:
    1 The sound levels were at a ridiculous level, even if it was the day time it would have been too loud

2 The sound quality was dire. Surely a competent sound engineer could have sorted this out

3 The mc was a pain in the hole, crap tune choice, loud screechy voice (even if she was quite knowledgeable)

4 The race is a great event for the town.

Now, hopefully someone from let's dull it will fix these issues before the in port races.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is there actually a legal decibel level limit? Not even to do with the VOR, but walking past nightclubs etc. there does often be a fierce racket. Was enjoying my sandwich in Java's the other evening and was forced to listen to the bass thumping from the cattle-mart across the way. I know that the Gardai regularly tell buskers to move along because they're making too much noise, but there rarely seems to be anything done about music being pumped into premises at levels which are actually damaging for one's ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

does anyone know if Hot 8 Brass Band and Hypnotic Brass Emsemble are playing the main stage and the west end street party tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭squonk

I think there are a lot of tired and emotional people around these here parts today. I know myself I'd pick a fight with the Dalai Lama right now due to lack of sleep so lets agree that it was generally a good night anwyay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement