Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Brad768 wrote: »
    I heard rumours Peter Gabriel will be performing

I hadn't heard this. Is it true?

I heard that there will be a mass orgy hosted by Thelma Mansfield with commentary from the Apres Match lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭squonk

I hadn't heard this. Is it true?

I heard that there will be a mass orgy hosted by Thelma Mansfield with commentary from the Apres Match lads.

Yeah, it's true. Phil Collins is on drums as well but he might sing a song if pushed.

Thelma Mansfield... whaaaa!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

All of the problems that arise give an opportunity to make it even better next time.

Volvo are bound to not be spectator focussed because these events don't usually attract the kind of crowds that we produce - it's why we will get the event again. There are a lots of things that could be done that would make the appreciation of the event better.

For example the in port races are better if you know what is going on. So if GBFM or a another broadcaster took the commentary & broadcast it people could bring a radio. It's always the best way for events that cover a big area. GBFM is not a good choice for the main race coverage because it is hard to pick up West of Galway.

Next time we need a park & ride for the West.

I hope that the organisers provide a way for people to feedback & suggest ideas for the future.

By the way when are we getting the Tall Ships ? Do we have to wait for a new harbour ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Brad768 wrote: »
    I heard rumours Peter Gabriel will be performing

Nope, it will be Crystal Swing!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Nope, it will be Crystal Swing!

Killjoy :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Crystal Swing.. Woohoo! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Discodog wrote: »
    By the way when are we getting the Tall Ships ? Do we have to wait for a new harbour ?

God that'd be great, but yeah, there's need to be a LOT more space fro them, VOR has a half dozen comparatively small yachts, the tall ships race usually has 100+ vessels, though most of them aren't' particularly large, you can count on 20-30 big ones at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Saw Clint Eastwood in town yesterday. Any reason he would be here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

saabsaab wrote: »

Really? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

traffic is an fn joke with it! Need to organise more car parking if they ever have it again. need to find some green field sites or something and have them as car parks.

Also need better park n ride set ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

What's the story with the fire works tomorrow night, where d ye think the best place to see them is?

I was hoping to avoid the main stage area coz I need to make a quick exit afterwards.

saabsaab wrote: »

I bet he would love it if you went up to him & shouted his catch phrase :D

in a Father Ted sort of way !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,497 ✭✭✭irishgeo

got soaked today but i enjoyed the 4 hours i was up. might have stayed longer but i was soaked and my step sister was stuck in traffic and didnt seen too keen to meet me in the rain so i headed home.

i parked in the underground car park of the raddisson and there was loads of spaces left on the 2nd level down.

the traffic was nuts but managed to cut across most of it.

The new traffic centre with the fancy camera's must not be working yet as it was choca block along the tuam rd until i got through the lights and then cut on to the headford rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Mr Keek wrote: »
    What's the story with the fire works tomorrow night, where d ye think the best place to see them is?

I was hoping to avoid the main stage area coz I need to make a quick exit afterwards.

On TV perhaps? ;)

I hope them fireworks is waterproof...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Is there fireworks tonight?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Can we have some photos of miserable scenes in the rain please?

Oh, OK then. :)

The Square this afternoon. It was the Tea Cups ride, like the brush says...

Perks-Square-July3.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Think of all the jobs and millions of euro coming into Galway alone, not some banker as these people also like to complain about.
    Who are "these people"? Generalise much?
    Last I checked it was the "scroungers" and "dossers" who didn't have a job to go to in the morning who were saying they had least problem with the noise levels.
    My generalisation kicks the pants off yours.:P

JustMary wrote: »
    However if residents in Shantalla et al could hear too, then something was definitely wrong.
    Further. Much further.

I was going to say i cant believe the complaining out of some people, but then i stopped to think and thought of course they are complaining its Ireland! When something bad happens we complain, when something good happens we complain. We love to moan.

For those of you who are living in Galway and upset about the arrival time. You seem to be unaware that Galway experiences 2 high and low tides each day.
    The lock gates into the harbour are closed at low tide + a few hours either side as the water level in the bay gets too low for boats to sail in and out of.
    We are currently at a full moon phase, meaning the variation in high and low tides is more than normal.
    Last nights low tide was around half 8 i think meaning that even if the boats had made it in at a reasonable time the moaners would then be complaining that they didnt get to see them close enough as they would have had to moor out in the bay somewhere and wait for the gates to open.

People have also moaned about the time they left lorient, you can be sure that the organisers didnt pluck a time out of thin air there either and that they were reliant on a time that suited tide wise there too.

Always amazed by the negativity of some people in this country.
    This is all a total strawman con of a post. Nobody's complaining about the time they came in, they're complaining about the unnecessary noise level whatever time it was.
    I see you're moaning about the complaints. Well I guess you're in Ireland too then.

If you can't put up with 1 nights noise in 3 years that greatly benefits the city, the in my eyes you can p**s off!! Blunt, but it's true.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    If you can't take on board a reasonable complaint, which could be easily remedied by the organisers and a bit of sensible oversight, then you can piss off too.
    Now here's a little game.
    Two posts say "p**s off" in them.
    Mod agrees with one sentiment.
    Mod disagrees with other sentiment.
    Guess which one gets the infraction.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

LimGal wrote: »
    Wow do you realise how childish you are coming across in your posts!:rolleyes:
    We have been both bitching at each other. Your attempt to claim the mature high ground is undermined by the content of your posts and is quite ironic.
    LimGal wrote: »
    Like I said it was only one night it really does seem like you need to be enlightened over and over and over again on this point.:D

Chances are you will never have to put up with it again in your lifetime but the benefit it might have done Galway as whole should be huge.So what if people lost a bit of sleep for ONE night,when you get your tiddlywinks tonight you'll be as right as rain tomorrow again,trust me:)

The fact that it was one night is irrelevant since it was completely unnecessary noise pollution. As I and others have said before, the same effect for the crowds at the event could have been achieved (and indeed improved upon) with a better set up and so without the excessive noise echoing around the city.

The economic benefit to Galway would not have suffered in the slightest if the sound system had been set up properly and the volume turned down a bit. To argue otherwise is ridiculous.
    mikom wrote: »
    #ifonesleeplessnightannoyedyouthenyouareinforasurprisewhenyouhaveateethingbaby

So because there are other more bothersome things to deal with in life we shouldn't ever complain about completely unnecessary noise pollution from shìte dance music and a head wrecker shouting ''Are you awake Galway?!'' all through a week night? Eh, no. That's just a silly argument when you think about it.
    I was going to say i cant believe the complaining out of some people, but then i stopped to think and thought of course they are complaining its Ireland! When something bad happens we complain, when something good happens we complain. We love to moan.

Always amazed by the negativity of some people in this country.

Have you lived in different parts of the world? I've lived in Dublin, Galway, Antrim, South of Spain and South of England. I would say Galway is about last or second last on that list of places for people complaining and standing up for their rights. You should see the complaining that goes on in England whenever people think they are being treated even slightly unfairly. Even Dublin is miles different to Galway. It seems in Galway any old sort of treatment from the powers that be is just accepted. I went out with a German girl for a while and I have an Irish friend living over there now, both are amazed at how Irish people just lap up the shìt that is handed to them and just tip their cap rather than speak up for themselves, whereas the Germans make a point of demanding their rights. Imo the idea that Irish people complain is a complete myth and I find it crazy how it is used as a stick to beat anybody who dares speak up against the status quo.

mikom wrote: »
    #ifonesleeplessnightannoyedyouthenyouareinforasurprisewhenyouhaveateethingbaby
    So because there are other more bothersome things to deal with in life we shouldn't ever complain about completely unnecessary noise pollution from shìte dance music and a head wrecker shouting ''Are you awake Galway?!'' all through a week night? Eh, no. That's just a silly argument when you think about it.
    The most imbecilic thing about that post is the number of sleeping children who I've heard first hand were woken up by the noise!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you lived in different parts of the world? I've lived in Dublin, Galway, Antrim, South of Spain and South of England. I would say Galway is about last or second last on that list of places for people complaining and standing up for their rights. You should see the complaining that goes on in England whenever people think they are being treated even slightly unfairly. Even Dublin is miles different to Galway. It seems in Galway any old sort of treatment from the powers that be is just accepted. I went out with a German girl for a while and I have an Irish friend living over there now, both are amazed at how Irish people just lap up the shìt that is handed to them and just tip their cap rather than speak up for themselves, whereas the Germans make a point of demanding their rights. Imo the idea that Irish people complain is a complete myth and I find it crazy how it is used as a stick to beat anybody who dares speak up against the status quo.

Kind people I know call it "post colonial stress disorder" - the Irish are pathologically passive aggressive because of their past, the famine, yadda, yadda, yadda. So they complain a lot in the safe environment of a discussion board, but won't F2F.

I'm not kind, so I just think means things about <<self-censored>> keyboard warriors. :p

Whatever.

But I think that even those of us who say "it was one night, get over it" would agree that next time someone wants to run an event on the docks, the council should be looking harder at their sound management plans, and insisting on a P&R in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,497 ✭✭✭irishgeo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Can we have some photos of miserable scenes in the rain please?

http://s15.postimage.org/zadp7cka3/S73_F0945.jpg

The reason you dont need a convertible in Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

jenno86 wrote: »
    Is there fireworks tonight?

I think they are on tomorrow night for fourth of july.

I too would like to know what time they start on where is it happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

cena wrote: »
    I think they are on tomorrow night for fourth of july.

I too would like to know what time they start on where is it happening?
    They're on at 10.45pm. In the program, it said view from Grattan Road and the Prom. I guess they'd be launching them from Mutton Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Pen Rua wrote: »
    They're on at 10.45pm. In the program, it said view from Grattan Road and the Prom. I guess they'd be launching them from Mutton Island?

Well they go ahead if it is still rainning.

Pen Rua wrote: »

They'll be sh:t so? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

JustMary wrote: »
    Kind people I know call it "post colonial stress disorder" - the Irish are pathologically passive aggressive because of their past, the famine, yadda, yadda, yadda. So they complain a lot in the safe environment of a discussion board, but won't F2F.

I'm not kind, so I just think means things about <<self-censored>> keyboard warriors. :p

Whatever.

Honestly, with the complaining about complaining complicatedness I don't know if you are agreeing with me or insulting me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

Yeah and boards kills again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement