Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Now here's a little game.
    Two posts say "p**s off" in them.
    Mod agrees with one sentiment.
    Mod disagrees with other sentiment.
    Guess which one gets the infraction.:rolleyes:
    Mods don't read every single post, contrary to popular opinion it seems.
    It's been brought to my attention since and I've rectified it.

If you could contact me personally about these matters instead of trying to snipe me on thread it would be better. Read the charter point 13.
    I've already given you an on thread warning about your behaviour, this time it's a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

If anyone has video of the Sawdoctors performing the song they penned in tribute of Eamonn "Chick" Deacy, please post it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I would just like to get one more complaint in before we are entirely done here.

Did anyone else think it was a pity that Irish music was not featured more and played at least as the boats came into the harbour. On the tv news report I could hear "highway to hell" being played as one arrived. It seemed like a lost opportunity to feature something distinctive about the country for the few seconds that would be featured in international news broadcasts. Also I thought it would've lent it a more emotional air too which would've been nice.

Otherwise though I didn't mind the lost sleep so much. It was an amazing night for Galway. Great to see on the news also that local food producers featured in the tent were getting orders from big Irish retailers and from foreign hotels and retailers. They mentioned that Saturday nights event is expected to attract 1200 foreign corporate guests. There couldn't be a more massive marketting opportunity for a tiny little Irish city. We have a lot to be grateful for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I would just like to get one more complaint in before we are entirely done here.

Did anyone else think it was a pity that Irish music was not featured more and played at least as the boats came into the harbour. On the tv news report I could hear "highway to hell" being played as one arrived. It seemed like a lost opportunity to feature something distinctive about the country for the few seconds that would be featured in international news broadcasts. Also I thought it would've lent it a more emotional air too which would've been nice.

The one very good reason for playing 'Highway to Hell' is that it is Groupama's theme song and they had just won the longest hardest sporting event in the world. It would have been churlish to play anything else.
    Leaving the Alicante dock back in November to their Highway to Hell theme song, they made a bold decision to split from the fleet. It ended up costing them dearly in terms of miles, but they carried the same determination to sail the race in their own way all the way through to the finish of Leg 9 in Galway in the early hours of Tuesday.

See here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

On the tv news report I could hear "highway to hell" being played as one arrived.
    Each boat has their own theme song, as with the last edition...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Imo the idea that Irish people complain is a complete myth and I find it crazy how it is used as a stick to beat anybody who dares speak up against the status quo.

Complete & utter nonsense!!

It was'nt Quo but AC/DC FFS!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

Pro. F wrote: »
    We have been both bitching at each other. Your attempt to claim the mature high ground is undermined by the content of your posts and is quite ironic.

The fact that it was one night is irrelevant since it was completely unnecessary noise pollution. As I and others have said before, the same effect for the crowds at the event could have been achieved (and indeed improved upon) with a better set up and so without the excessive noise echoing around the city.

The economic benefit to Galway would not have suffered in the slightest if the sound system had been set up properly and the volume turned down a bit. To argue otherwise is ridiculous.

So because there are other more bothersome things to deal with in life we shouldn't ever complain about completely unnecessary noise pollution from shìte dance music and a head wrecker shouting ''Are you awake Galway?!'' all through a week night? Eh, no. That's just a silly argument when you think about it.

Have you lived in different parts of the world? I've lived in Dublin, Galway, Antrim, South of Spain and South of England. I would say Galway is about last or second last on that list of places for people complaining and standing up for their rights. You should see the complaining that goes on in England whenever people think they are being treated even slightly unfairly. Even Dublin is miles different to Galway. It seems in Galway any old sort of treatment from the powers that be is just accepted. I went out with a German girl for a while and I have an Irish friend living over there now, both are amazed at how Irish people just lap up the shìt that is handed to them and just tip their cap rather than speak up for themselves, whereas the Germans make a point of demanding their rights. Imo the idea that Irish people complain is a complete myth and I find it crazy how it is used as a stick to beat anybody who dares speak up against the status quo.

It is not irrelevant in the slightest.You could not forgo a few hours sleep for one night in 3 years.Thats quite pathetic imo.My eldery parents were kept awake by the noise as well but they didnt complain about it,not because of the ridiclous opinion you gave about the Irish being incapable of complaining(which is complete tosh) but because they were delighted to see such an event take in place in Galway and how it would benefit the city they love.Go buy yourself a set of earplugs or even better next time if Galway is lucky enough to get the VOR again go away for a weeks holiday for yourself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Ok guys this argument is going nowhere- some people are happy to have lost a nights sleep for the event and some aren't and neither side is going to convince the other.

There won't be another night of noise now so why don't we go back to discussing the events etc. Coming in for a look to see whats good to do etc. and having to skip through pages of the same argument is a pain for everyone!

So who is going to the fireworks tonight? I'm looking forward to them, especially as (so far) today is a lovely day for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Ok guys this argument is going nowhere- some people are happy to have lost a nights sleep for the event and some aren't and neither side is going to convince the other.

There won't be another night of noise now so why don't we go back to discussing the events etc. Coming in for a look to see whats good to do etc. and having to skip through pages of the same argument is a pain for everyone!

So who is going to the fireworks tonight? I'm looking forward to them, especially as (so far) today is a lovely day for once!

Well said.

That sounds great to me Toby tbh:)

I'll be in the crowd tonight,joining in on the festivities!

Cant wait to see the fireworks,should be a great night overall:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

LimGal wrote: »
    It is not irrelevant in the slightest.You could not forgo a few hours sleep for one night in 3 years.Thats quite pathetic imo.My eldery parents were kept awake by the noise as well but they didnt complain about it,not because of the ridiclous opinion you gave about the Irish being incapable of complaining(which is complete tosh) but because they were delighted to see such an event take in place in Galway and how it would benefit the city they love.Go buy yourself a set of earplugs or even better next time if Galway is lucky enough to get the VOR again go away for a weeks holiday for yourself:)

You have completely missed Pro F's point, there was no need for people miles away to be kept awake, the sound set-up was a complete cock-up, that's the point. The event itself is fine, but some of the organisation has been a little bit off (to be expected with any large event though). Setting up a PA system should be simple though and not something that should go so badly wrong.

Anyway, weather is a bit better today, hopefully the rest of the week goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Great night last night, don't know how the weather has managed to stay dry for the past two evenings but it was definitely appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

last night was one of the best concerts I've ever been to in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭squonk

The Sawdoctors were great last night. I've been at gigs the last 4 nights, 1 I had to pay for and 3 completely free. Thank Jebus there isn't a gig tonight because I'm getting gigged out though I'll be down the prom for the fireworks!

Anyone know what time the Global Village tents shut up shop? I think the food pavillion shut at 8 on Saturday and I haven't been back since. There's lovely food and drink down there so I was going to break up the journey to the prom that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Little or nothing to do with the event itself, but people have not been lingering around the VOR according to anecdotal reports.

This is hard on traders, such as food stalls, some of whom have paid as much as €11,000 for a spot. A local victualler told me yesterday that one trader has had to lay off staff (down to 3) because business was so bad.

That's primarily weather-related of course. Let's hope it improves. It's looking good today, so back for another gawk and a go on the "hurdy-gurdies"...

Predalien wrote: »
    You have completely missed Pro F's point, there was no need for people miles away to be kept awake, the sound set-up was a complete cock-up, that's the point. The event itself is fine, but some of the organisation has been a little bit off (to be expected with any large event though). Setting up a PA system should be simple though and not something that should go so badly wrong.

Anyway, weather is a bit better today, hopefully the rest of the week goes well.

Really?You are trying to continue this arguement even after what Toby just posted?

FYI I have not missed the point,YOU have missed the point.

Im bored with this arguement now.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Mods please ban the next person complaining about the bloody noise for the vor arrival.
    It's wrecking this thread and merely sour grapes to a great event.
    Rant over

Is the food pavillion over in the global village open after 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

It appears the rumour i heard last week is'nt true about what was to happen today.It was that 2 U.S Airforce F15 Fighter Jets were due to make a fly past over the city with today being the 4th of July.Would have been cool but its not happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Aiel wrote: »
    It appears the rumour i heard last week is'nt true about what was to happen today.It was that 2 U.S Airforce F15 Fighter Jets were due to make a fly past over the city with today being the 4th of July.Would have been cool but its not happening.

Too loud I guess.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

I heard something about Obama doing a video link up with Galway today..from someone who sounded like she was involved and knew what she was talking about! But probably not!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

See ye all at Crystal Swing this weekend and hopefully the whining about noise will be over so they can give it welly . :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

You know I couldnt get any sleep the other night in London. Do you think it was the noise from the VOR... who do I complain to... the ba****ds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

squonk wrote: »
    The Sawdoctors were great last night. I've been at gigs the last 4 nights, 1 I had to pay for and 3 completely free. Thank Jebus there isn't a gig tonight because I'm getting gigged out though I'll be down the prom for the fireworks!

Anyone know what time the Global Village tents shut up shop? I think the food pavillion shut at 8 on Saturday and I haven't been back since. There's lovely food and drink down there so I was going to break up the journey to the prom that way.
    I'd say they'd stay open with the fireworks. Just a guess. There'd be a lot of people around the area, so it'd be a bit foolish to shut down at 8pm when there'll be a lot of people at 11pm or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

What time are the fireworks and can I get a good view from the prom or better in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I think its around 9.30 tonight,i remember reading the opening times and it was 7 and 8pm most nights but tonight its slightly later i think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Does anyone have any idea where the best location will be to watch the fireworks?

audman wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea where the best location will be to watch the fireworks?

Grattan Rd or the Prom was posted earlier. They're being let off from Mutton Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

Sappa wrote: »
    What time are the fireworks and can I get a good view from the prom or better in town?

According to some American dude on GBFM this morning (may have been the ambassador) there is an American parade leaving Eyre Sq at 7.45 and heading through town to the global village. Classic cars, bikes, marching bands, etc.
    He said the fireworks are being let off at 10.45 and will last for 6 mins. There is a musical score being broadcast on GB FM to accompany the fireworks. Fireworks are being let off from Mutton Island so won't be best seen from the docks, head to global village/Grattan Rd/ the prom i'd say.

So, don't be late, 6 mins is all its gonna last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

squonk wrote: »

The Saw Doctors are always great. Many would give out about their music and complain about them and say they are sh1te yet The Saw Doctors never fail at moving the crowds into a hyped up frenzy. I love them.

Got in last night. Was looking doubtful but made it in for a while. Would like to go in again during the next couple more days but doubt that I can.

Bus Eireann is a disgrace of a company but they have always been like that. For anybody outside of the city, the service is poor. It wouldn't have hurt to put extra buses on into town from the villages and towns around Galway. There are extra buses going out to areas of Galway for 11.30 just for this week but 11.30 is far too early to be going home.

And in the name of all that's holy is Galway not hosting concerts. There's capacity there down at the docks where the oil tanks were removed to hold a good 20,000 at an estimate. There is space there for international artists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement