Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

snubbleste wrote: »
    Looks like they have not fixed the PA system. I can hear the noise in Circular Road thumpthumping away. Do I phone Environmental Health now or later?
    Edit - Ok that is seriously loud.

SERIOUSLY? Just back West and visiting a friend - I am up near Circular Road now, I thought it was an outdoor thing near Westside Pitch. Is that actually the Docks?

Yep. SERIOUSLY loud to be able to hear that so clearly here.:eek:

...and it woke up their housemate (it's pretty hard to do that!) who's working at 4.am. Yikes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well that was a nice display of fireworks.

Much quieter now after the BOOM BOOM!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

inisboffin wrote: »
    Much quieter now after the BOOM BOOM!
    You spoke too soon..now playing loud toons. When does this end tonight?

snubbleste wrote: »
    You spoke too soon..now playing loud toons. When does this end tonight?

Just came down the chimney as I read your post :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Fireworks were nothing to get too excited about IMO! I've seen much much better. The traffic around Salthill is absolutely nuts though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If you were to ask me what I'd rate the fireworks out of 10 I'd have to give them a 6. I walked off in a huff with my monocle and top hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Didn't go down to the fireworks tonight but took these from the bedroom window.

3C1878ADC85C4BB9B7F0D1E4BCAFAB29-0000324460-0002919205-00800L-27416C3E39944E6CAACCE72E7AD27DD3.jpg

57AE0543C3F648FFAB3DF65B8610F32A-0000324460-0002919204-00800L-41A5B216468F49188FB4808351D8BAD8.jpg

D424B58F281F4A5584A15D3FD7301ED1-0000324460-0002919203-00800L-1302F6D692DB47E5901F81151356F1D3.jpg

656F1C292ADE494D825B0C991A58FFA1-0000324460-0002919202-00800L-55FA43B1FA32420DAA1BC4BF9177D5CE.jpg

F8DD94B9DEC8493784BB7B35080C976F-0000324460-0002919201-00800L-A237EC0D6293434C8882C2107D792A1E.jpg

B466B3C6266B440F8CF67DF2CD5DA2A5-0000324460-0002919200-00800L-40C74500B6D84F7795B253D677A5C855.jpg

DB63326A5BD54EC4A2482B4568D037C8-0000324460-0002919199-00800L-D9C074516386467BBA1CA572E8F58721.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

And now I've some pleb rattling my windows at midnight. At first I thought it was a house party across the way so I went outside to have a word, but now I'm sharpening up my planning objections for the next time this momentuous event decides to grace our shores. I need to be awake at 5am, instead I'm listening to a Personality verbally masturbate over a five mile radius.

And there goes a car alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    And now I've some pleb rattling my windows at midnight. At first I thought it was a house party across the way so I went outside to have a word, but now I'm sharpening up my planning objections for the next time this momentuous event decides to grace our shores. I need to be awake at 5am, instead I'm listening to a Personality verbally masturbate over a five mile radius.

And there goes a car alarm.

barfrolleyes.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

aw wrote: »
    This sounds great, Brad.

Did you have to book it or was there somewhere specific to go?

Luckily we just met a lady walking round asking if we would like to come for a spin in their 500hp rib.
    If you look at the photo I attached it's a little stall where the red dot is. You just go and ask for when the next available time is and they will give you a receipt and will show you where to meet them.
    We said no at first and then saw that Groupama and Camper were still out and thought we might as well :)
    Once on the rib he described it to me as the Ferrari of ribs with an ipod dock, speaker system (that they aren't afraid to use;)) and multiple uses of the 2 screen in the center console that I'm sure they will explain to you if you ask :)

I think the boats have practice from 12:00 until 4:00pm tomorrow so I doubt you will be able to get as close but that does mean you will have more time to cruise and play around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Did many of ye go to the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble? Am I the only one who thought they were f-ing amazing?! Sweet Jesus. That was some show! My friends and I had great craic. It was awesome. They got the crowd so excited, aiiiiiiight! It was so awesome! People were literally throwing money at them to buy their CD (which I did, yet to listen to it). Some show. Now I am so disappointed I missed them in Dominick St last year...

The fireworks were great, too. :')

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Did many of ye go to the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble? Am I the only one who thought they were f-ing amazing?! Sweet Jesus. That was some show! My friends and I had great craic. It was awesome. They got the crowd so excited, aiiiiiiight! It was so awesome!

+1 to everything you just said, they were unreal, they came across like they were pure sound too!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Excellent night last night. Great brass band. Fantastic atmosphere. Fireworks were very good. It was great to see so many people I knew out and about.

The numbers of people in town were definitely in the tens of thousands. I actually wouldn't be surprised if there were as many as 100,000 people around, as the Irish Independent probably erroneously put it the other day.

This is the biggest festival ever in Galway. There is something in it for everyone.

Just. Marvellous.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Fireworks were good last night, so glad it didn't rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble were absolutely amazing. Seriously cool gig guys.

Fireworks are always nice - glad also it didn't rain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭squonk

I'd forgotten about the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble mainly because I'd also forgotten how good they are! I ended up at the main stage again. It was a great show and the weather played it's party as well. The fireworks were pretty good too. All in all it was a great evening.... again!

Is that a joke about Crystal Swing? If not, when/where are they on? They're not mentioned in the gigs list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Just arrived home after last night and all I can say is WOW.What a night.Everyone was in such good humour and the acts/fireworks were amazing.Seeing as it'll be difficult to match last night,would I be in right in saying that everything will begin tapering down for the remainder of the week?

El_Drago wrote: »
    Just arrived home after last night and all I can say is WOW.What a night.Everyone was in such good humour and the acts/fireworks were amazing.Seeing as it'll be difficult to match last night,would I be in right in saying that everything will begin tapering down for the remainder of the week?

I wouldn't see how. Anybody even half thinking of coming to Galway will be enticed by now so I'd be expecting the crowds to ramp up over the next two nights. There are still some great free gigs over the next few nights. I think last night was a break from the routine but it was a great night nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Saw the fireworks from my house last night, not bad at all! Was down there tues night and was a night that will stay with me for some time. Really showed Galway in the best possible light.

Did anyone notice the signs about all the ports? They state average rainfall for each:
    211791.png

How does a freakin desert have as much rainfall as Galway? Did they measure us daily and them yearly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

El_Drago wrote: »

hypnotic brass ensemble were class last night, really got everyone going. and you couldn't really get better conditions for the fireworks. watched them from the docks then headed across the river to pick up the car. couldn't believe the crowds. it was like the start of 20 streets of galway runs, one after the other! great to see. next up for me is Sharon Shannon and 300piece orchestra on Saturday..if the weather is anyway decent it should be some night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

An idea for the mods... why not create a seperate thread so people who want to complain about the noise have somewhere they can do it without spoiling this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Did anyone hear of a silent disco on Dominick street as part of the ocean race? 2 people have mentioned it but can't find anything on the Google machine

Yeah I saw something about it. I think it's Friday nght. 10PM onwards. 8 quid or something deposit for the earphones... Never been to one so might give this a go perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Fireworks were fab. Lit up the sky beautifully.

I was hoping on getting a chance to wander around the docks and view the boats and race village but will be up to my fcuking eyeballs in work. Missed the last volvo ocean race too due to work and extra demands so was really looking forward to this one. Am all booked for saturday during the day and will be cutting it thin on Saturday for sharon shannon too but will get in even if it means breaking my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Playboy wrote: »
    An idea for the mods... why not create a seperate thread so people who want to complain about the noise have somewhere they can do it without spoiling this thread?

Especially as they were complaining about noise at midnight long after things had finished in the docks.

The West End festival started last night perhaps that's what they heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

dloob wrote: »
    Especially as they were complaining about noise at midnight long after things had finished in the docks.

The West End festival started last night perhaps that's what they heard.
    As other in the thread have said, I support the VOR wholheartedly, I think its great for the city, and I'm very proud of the image of Galway it sends out around the world, but there is exactly zero need for it to be that loud. What justification is there for it? A proper PA setup and a bit of consideration would fix the problem, and those who wish to and are able to participate can do so without any loss of enjoyment.

In fact it might heighten that enjoyment for many since they wouldn't be walking away with incipient tinnitus.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

newkie wrote: »
    Saw the fireworks from my house last night, not bad at all! Was down there tues night and was a night that will stay with me for some time. Really showed Galway in the best possible light.

Did anyone notice the signs about all the ports? They state average rainfall for each:
    211791.png

How does a freakin desert have as much rainfall as Galway? Did they measure us daily and them yearly?

it says july on the galway side and january on the abu dhabi. so we more or less have the same weither in summer as them do in middle of winter.
    same rain, heat and wind

I live 20 minutes walking from town and was in at the festival last night. After I got home last night, some cars passed my house. One or two had lots of boom boom sounds coming from them. I wasn't able to get to sleep for a whole 20 minutes due to the noise. This is all due to the festival. It's a real disgrace. People coming from the festival shouldn't be allowed drive or even talk. It's very possible for people to go by boat across to Kinvara or even up the corrib and it would be much quieter. It's very unfair on us Galway residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Oh come on, even if ye think yer being funny, can we just drop the whole noise thing?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement