Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Oh come on, even if ye think yer being funny, can we just drop the whole noise thing?!
    No no, keep em coming, I love reading internet passive aggression from the coolest guys in the hearing aid shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Playboy wrote: »
    An idea for the mods... why not create a seperate thread so people who want to complain about the noise have somewhere they can do it without spoiling this thread?

Should name it "Galway City Traffic & Noise Deathmatch Forum"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Here's a video of last night's fireworks display for anyone who missed it.

A bit shakey in spots and the colours were much better than in the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Survival and bushcraft

*Survives breakdown of civilisation*
    *Complains about the quietness*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

As other in the thread have said, I support the VOR wholheartedly, I think its great for the city, and I'm very proud of the image of Galway it sends out around the world, but there is exactly zero need for it to be that loud. What justification is there for it? A proper PA setup and a bit of consideration would fix the problem, and those who wish to and are able to participate can do so without any loss of enjoyment.

In fact it might heighten that enjoyment for many since they wouldn't be walking away with incipient tinnitus.

Better PA would be nice but any complaints aimed at the Volvo making noise after around 10:30 last night are aimed at the wrong place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Did anyone hear of a silent disco on Dominick street as part of the ocean race? 2 people have mentioned it but can't find anything on the Google machine
    They're shutting off Dominick St. as far as I know. €10 deposit on the headphones, that is refunded when you return the headphones. They're trying to get 2,000 people down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Did anyone hear of a silent disco on Dominick street as part of the ocean race? 2 people have mentioned it but can't find anything on the Google machine
    Its part of the Westendfest, they are closing from Monroes to Henry St and its 10euro deposit for the headsets. They are doing New York style street food today and tomorrow too, was all in this weeks Galway Indo. There is a Galway west end website but its crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

dloob wrote: »
    Better PA would be nice but any complaints aimed at the Volvo making noise after around 10:30 last night are aimed at the wrong place.
    Yeah, the fireworks went off at 11. Are the complaints about the 3am debacle also aimed at the wrong place? Its after the fact now, nothing to be done about it, but for future reference maybe the organisers could use some basic cop on and professionalism beyond the level typically displayed by a fourteen year old on his first weekend away from mammy? Its not hard to do, and would in my opinion make for a better experience for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭squonk

Its part of the Westendfest, they are closing from Monroes to Henry St and its 10euro deposit for the headsets. They are doing New York style street food today and tomorrow too, was all in this weeks Galway Indo. There is a Galway west end website but its crap.

Is it tomorrow the silent disco is on?

squonk wrote: »
    Is it tomorrow the silent disco is on?
    Yep.

• Advertisement

I just saw that the Aer Corps are doing a parachute display at 5PM. It's a pity this wasn't a bit later. I thought the PC9's were doing an air display but this looks like it'll be it. Anyone lucky to be off today can go have a look. It's over the water so anywhere in or around the Global Village will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

squonk wrote: »
    I just saw that the Aer Corps are doing a parachute display at 5PM. It's a pity this wasn't a bit later. I thought the PC9's were doing an air display but this looks like it'll be it. Anyone lucky to be off today can go have a look. It's over the water so anywhere in or around the Global Village will be good.

Air corps doing a display at salthill on sat @ 2-45pm along with the coastguard

Does anyone know the route for the pro-am or in port race?

How does that work? Do plebs take out their boats to race the yachts and their crews or do the yacht crews split up and each one goes onto a pleb's boat to help them out and the only boats actually racing are pleb boats?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Thank god its a SILENT disco eh?! Everyone will be able to agree it was a good night! Nice novelty idea - hope it works out well for all organising it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

They don't decide it until very close to the time, and it's been known to change in the middle of the race. It depends on what the wind is doing that day.

Keep an eye on the volvo website and you'll see it when it's decided.
    (they publish a map like this one)

Not sure how the pro-am works, but for the in-port the normal crews take the boats out and race around a series of markers. Spectator boats are asked to keep to specific areas around the race course (but off the track). There have been several occasions where they've ignored directions though and gotten completely in the way.

You can see it happening during the Miami in port at 3:10 in this video

http://youtu.be/FddWO_WG_rk

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Really enjoying the VOR so far, great atmosphere to the whole thing, just a pity the weather hasn't been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

In fairness the weather has been much better than was forecast. A few heavy showers but in general it has been dry and warm especially at night. Fingers crossed it stays okish for the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Weather was grand today I thought. A heavy shower or two, but no big deal.

The funfair was enjoyable and the food pavilion delivered the goods. Only glitch was a few seriously boggy parts of the Swamp (no surprise there) which meant one or two attractions were no-go areas with kids. The docks/marina looked great in the sunshine I thought. Felt like a tourist...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

They don't decide it until very close to the time, and it's been known to change in the middle of the race. It depends on what the wind is doing that day.

Keep an eye on the volvo website and you'll see it when it's decided.

They have published the sailing instructions for the In Port race on Saturday here.

The area is a start close to Mutton Island and an L shaped course out the bay between Foudra Rock and Tawin Shoals Buoy towards the Moyeala Buoy.

Unless they change it again the race should be visible from the first half of the Prom. (Foudra Rock is in line with Dalysfort Road)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They have published the sailing instructions for the In Port race on Saturday here.

The area is a start close to Mutton Island and an L shaped course out the bay between Foudra Rock and Tawin Shoals Buoy towards the Moyeala Buoy.

Unless they change it again the race should be visible from the first half of the Prom. (Foudra Rock is in line with Dalysfort Road)

They changed it at short notice last time & moved the course further out towards Barna.

Time to empty the piggy bank ???

2012BannerAdHoriz950.jpg

;)

Discodog wrote: »
    They changed it at short notice last time & moved the course further out towards Barna.

The inner bay is really quite shallow and narrow for boats with a draft of 4.5m. The area in the sailing instructions will work if there is a westerly or a south westerly or their reciprocals.

A northerly or a southerly wind will make it impossible to get a decent beat to the first mark in the inner bay and they may need to move out beyond the buoys... which is why I added 'Unless they change it'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Time to empty the piggy bank ???

2012BannerAdHoriz950.jpg

;)

*Looks at username*
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

not long home, great gig at 5.30 or so, the crew put together a band with a galway organiser. was brillant, they had a few funny moments to with jokes. any one else there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

macgabhs wrote: »
    In fairness the weather has been much better than was forecast. A few heavy showers but in general it has been dry and warm especially at night. Fingers crossed it stays okish for the weekend!

Thanks a mill Jean Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Yeah, the fireworks went off at 11. Are the complaints about the 3am debacle also aimed at the wrong place? Its after the fact now, nothing to be done about it, but for future reference maybe the organisers could use some basic cop on and professionalism beyond the level typically displayed by a fourteen year old on his first weekend away from mammy? Its not hard to do, and would in my opinion make for a better experience for everyone.
    Would you ever give it a rest please,so what a bit of noise from a crowd of thousands of people spending money in the city and creating a bit of an atmosphere,I seriously cannot believe some posters here moaning about noise when they can't see the bigger picture.

swiftman wrote: »
    not long home, great gig at 5.30 or so, the crew put together a band with a galway organiser. was brillant, they had a few funny moments to with jokes. any one else there?

Yeah I saw them, they were surprisingly good for sailors turned musicians.
    Plus they had everybody's favourite announcer as a singer.
    They didn't have much of a crowd though other than most of team camper and a good few of puma.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sappa wrote: »
    Would you ever give it a rest please,so what a bit of noise from a crowd of thousands of people spending money in the city and creating a bit of an atmosphere,I seriously cannot believe some posters here moaning about noise when they can't see the bigger picture.

Don't feed it ...

(For the record, the fireworks started right on cue at 10:45pm, and lasted for 7-8 minutes. The band that was playing finished about 1/2 way thru the fireworks. I was annoyed 'cos I though they should have shut up earlier and the PA played the synchro. soundtrack. So don't let's have any of this 11pm nonsense. And yes, I did check my watch.)

Now let's get back to discussing the party ...

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    Don't feed it ...

(For the record, the fireworks started right on cue at 10:45pm, and lasted for 7-8 minutes. The band that was playing finished about 1/2 way thru the fireworks. I was annoyed 'cos I though they should have shut up earlier and the PA played the synchro. soundtrack. So don't let's have any of this 11pm nonsense. And yes, I did check my watch.)

Now let's get back to discussing the party ...
    Spot on JM, we were checking our phones to see would it start on time and it defo did. And was very good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement