Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Calves but wont SUCK ??

• 30-03-2012 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Dairy farmer here with a problem. ??? last few calves born grand and left over night with cow as I always do. For first feed I usually bottle feed them but these last few just seem to lack the sucking instinct. I naturally assumed they had sucked enough over night and were just full up. over next few days they progress to become very poor drinkers as well. Seem to be short of power and have problems getting up after laying down. They seems to be generally ok but are not really starting to thrive properly. Any ideas please ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

maybe try this from mayo healthcare , we have used some of their products in the past and thought they were beneficial

http://www.mayohealthcare.ie/os.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

zetorman wrote: »
    Dairy farmer here with a problem. ??? last few calves born grand and left over night with cow as I always do. For first feed I usually bottle feed them but these last few just seem to lack the sucking instinct. I naturally assumed they had sucked enough over night and were just full up. over next few days they progress to become very poor drinkers as well. Seem to be short of power and have problems getting up after laying down. They seems to be generally ok but are not really starting to thrive properly. Any ideas please ??

Sounds very like iodine deficiency, had same symptoms in my suckler herd years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

It does sound like it could be a mineral defieciency, were the cows on pre-calving minerals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

snowman707 wrote: »
    maybe try this from mayo healthcare , we have used some of their products in the past and thought they were beneficial

http://www.mayohealthcare.ie/os.html

What products did you use snowman ???? I have used them last year and still havent made up my mind on them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Richk2012 wrote: »
    What products did you use snowman ???? I have used them last year and still havent made up my mind on them :rolleyes:
    we used Biolaze had a problem with youngish calves getting "the scrambled egg" dung followed by scour... treated stock got a touch of scour but shook it off without any further treatment

also used the footbath on lambs that getting scald with some success

• Advertisement
Advertisement