Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dane temporary accomodation

• 30-03-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    Getting married abroad this summer and I'm wondering if anyone can advise me what to do with my dane. Usually when we go away a family member pops by afew times a day to walk, feed and play with him etc. This time however everyone we know is coming to the wedding. I would rather not put him in kennels for the week as he would be more comfortable at home in his usual surroundings. All suggestions appreciated. In Dublin by the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

RTT wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    Getting married abroad this summer and I'm wondering if anyone can advise me what to do with my dane. Usually when we go away a family member pops by afew times a day to walk, feed and play with him etc. This time however everyone we know is coming to the wedding. I would rather not put him in kennels for the week as he would be more comfortable at home in his usual surroundings. All suggestions appreciated. In Dublin by the way.

I'm guessing the people who would usually look after him will only be unavailable for one day, the day of the wedding? There are dog walkers that will go to people's home and walk and feed dogs, whereabouts in Dublin are you, someone on here may be able to recommend someone. They would need to meet the dog first of course, so will probably want to take him out a few times before the big day.

Congratulations by the way, hope you have a lovely day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

I'm in Dublin 15. Thanks

uote=ISDW;77857927]
    Hi guys.

I'm guessing the people who would usually look after him will only be unavailable for one day, the day of the wedding? There are dog walkers that will go to people's home and walk and feed dogs, whereabouts in Dublin are you, someone on here may be able to recommend someone. They would need to meet the dog first of course, so will probably want to take him out a few times before the big day.

Congratulations by the way, hope you have a lovely day:)[/Quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

what about a dog sitter? i use one all the time and while more expensive than kennels its so good being able to relax and knowing my dogs are happy and relaxed in their own home and not miserable in a kennel. pet sitters ireland are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Hi guys.

Heya,

I would take him to the wedding :)

If you like, I am in Leixlip (I know its unlikley to trust a stranger with such a dog) but if you like, I could talk to the other half and see what she thinks and could take care of him for the week. Have 1 little lab X and great friends with 2 boxers, twice a day we go out to castletown part for about an hour and a half each trip, plenty of attention etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

if you dont trust karlitto (i dont, look at him, shifty character) i'll take him for you. i have a boxer great dane cross who's very chilled and good with any fosters i've had. he'd be well fed and walked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Shifty indeed :D

The offer is still there of course.

Just to note, we go walking in Castletown House (Celbridge) it's amazing, 99% of people there are dog walkers/lovers.

Only 1 Great Dane there that we have seen (Duffy)

Thanks for all the offers guys. Its much appreciated. Its not until the end of July but with the wedding stuff to organise I don't want to leave it until the last minute. I'll speak to the other half and will let you know. Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Maybe contact Dog Training Ireland in Blanchardstown, they do doggy day care, don't know if any of the staff there do pet sitting as well? If they don't, they may well know someone in the area that they could recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ISDW wrote: »
    Maybe contact Dog Training Ireland in Blanchardstown, they do doggy day care, don't know if any of the staff there do pet sitting as well? If they don't, they may well know someone in the area that they could recommend.

Some of them do it afaik and a good few sitters would have done the first aid class there too so they'd be able to give you names. I know a sitter - I'll PM you his details OP. OT but I met a GD there when I was doing the first aid class - he was 8-9 months old, and could lick my chin - just by lifting his head up :pac:- it made me realise how short I am and how big he was lol :D :rolleyes::pac:

Thanks guys. Here is the big guy himself with his little sister.photo.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Thanks guys. Here is the big guy himself with his little sister.photo.JPG

Ah now! That's just adorable! Thanks for posting that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'll do it!!! But you won't get him back after :P How adorable is he!! I'm completely in love with Great Danes, can't wait to get my own :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd take him for a walk - just for the funny looks I'd get :D (i'm 5 foot)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

I had the exact same problem when I was getting married last year - I knew my two eegits would freak if they were put into a kennel, they're both quite nervy. My mother usually minds them if we go away but obviously she was going to be at the wedding!

Anyway went looking for a dog sitter and found that they're surprisingly rare! Especially in the Wicklow area, you might have more choice in Dublin.

I found that most people who mind dogs take them into their home, which was not an option for us. Finally found a woman in Greystones who does pet sitting in the house, she's a dog walker too. We didn't know her from Adam which worried us a **lot**, not just that she'd be in our house, but our two beloved dogs would be in her care for two days. But we met her and she was lovely and based on a good gut feeling and to be honest the fact that we had no other choice as everyone else we knew who could be trusted with a dog would be at the wedding, we booked her.

Very reasonable rates and she was really good with our two, obviously knew what she was doing, and was so accommodating. She had background as a homestay nurse (human nurse!) apparently so she was quite professional about staying over. She came down a couple of times to meet us and the dogs before she had to mind them and to go through their routine and how our house works (heating etc) with us. She minded them for two nights.

I know how hard it is to try and find someone when you have a wedding to organise, but I can highly recommend her, but you'd have to ask her if she would travel to Dublin - if you're interested:
    http://irishweatherwalkies.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ISDW wrote: »

You could also give positive dog training a call either they recently have me a lady's number who is based in glasnevin. I am sure anyone DTI or positive dog training recommend will be brilliant.

Advertisement