Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does your wage measure up?

• 30-03-2012 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Check your monthly wage against the national and global average here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356

Despite all our difficulties Ireland still has the 8th highest average wage in the world. The tiger is only in deep hibernation I tells ya!

My average wage comes in at a whopping 2981%* of the world average! Happy days! :D

*May not be entirely truthful

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

is what this thread will turn into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I call shenanigans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Fukcen hell that's a surprise so how come I don't feel that rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Despite all our difficulties Ireland still has the 8th highest average wage in the world. The tiger is only in deep hibernation I tells ya!

My average wage comes in at a whopping 2981%* of the world average! Happy days! :D

I know what you earn a year........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That's 45 grand per month. Good money in that necrophillia.
    Any jobs going, i'd ride anything!:D

• Advertisement

You typed your annual wage into the monthly wage by mistake. You are 248% of the world average and I hope to fuck you don't work in a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

Give or take 45k a month ehh op?
    Is your first name Patrick per chance, and have you found yourself in a bit of a pickle recently with the courts?

We are on better money then the Germans, no-wonder they hate us and bail-outs.

Thank you Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

That's 45 grand per month. Good money in that necrophillia.
    Any jobs going, i'd ride anything!:D

Whenever I'm finished spreading my bounty among the denizens of the graveyards I do look for gold teeth, bracelets, jewellery and like. One time I even found a family heirloom dating back to the Norman conquests. It's keeping a rich old eccentric businessman very happy now, to the benefit of my bank account.

Aside from that though I'm a very high functioning member of society and my wage reflects that.

Sacramento wrote: »
    You typed your annual wage into the monthly wage by mistake. You are 248% of the world average and I hope to fuck you don't work in a bank.

I didn't. I don't. See the *disclaimer.

• Advertisement

Angeles wrote: »
    Give or take 45k a month ehh op?
    Is your first name Patrick per chance, and have you found yourself in a bit of a pickle recently with the courts?

No and no.

I didn't. I don't. See the *disclaimer.

Ah right, missed that, you're a sound* bloke.

*Wanker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

I'm guessing you're a public sector worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Aside from that though I'm a very high functioning member of society and my wage reflects that.

.....that's like Idi Amin saying that aside from the paranoia, the torture and the cannibalism he's really just a regular guy....

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

44leto wrote: »

Thank you Germany.

Cost of living in Germany is far lower.

Sacramento wrote: »
    Ah right, missed that, you're a sound* bloke.

*Wanker

Your clever attempts at foiling the swear filter are lost on those with backgrounds set to dark. Just so you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I typed in my weekly wage and was all :(

The I realised and typed in my monthly wage and was like :)

Someday I'll be like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm 79%, of the national average and 159% of the world. I thought I would be further down as I hardly make ends meet as it is, have no loans, can't afford a car or to have a mortgage. But then again it's pre tax. Around 30% is taken in total stoppages in my wages.:mad:

Your clever attempts at foiling the swear filter are lost on those with backgrounds set to dark. Just so you know.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I'm 79%, of the national average and 159% of the world. I thought I would be further down as I hardly make ends meet as it is, have no loans, can't afford a car or to have a mortgage. But then again it's pre tax. Around 30% is taken in total stoppages in my wages.:mad:

Either payroll have f***ed up or ar least 14% of your 'stoppages' are optional.

Still can't figure out how you can't afford a car or make ends meet on that wage if you've no loans or mortgage.

• Advertisement

Either payroll have f***ed up or ar least 14% of your 'stoppages' are optional.

Still can't figure out how you can't afford a car or make ends meet on that wage if you've no loans or mortgage.

He could have a rake of kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Thank you Germany.

There's no minimum wage in Germany for most sectors & cost of living would be a lot lower outside of the main cities.

jester77 wrote: »
    There's no minimum wage in Germany for most sectors & cost of living would be a lot lower outside of the main cities.

Cost of living is also cheaper here outside Dublin. We are also in comparison lowly taxed and we don't pay for our water. So I still think we are a little better off then the Germans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Average wage doesn't really tell you much. The US for example has a higher average wage, largely contributed to by big CEOs and company owners earning millions and sometimes billions per year. There's also quite a large proportion of people below the poverty line.

Ireland's wage distribution on the other hand would have a lot less variance, with less extremes distorting the average figure. Still, the median is probably a more useful statistical tool to look at in this instance. You'd also want to compare the wage levels against the cost of living in the country to get a true picture of the quality of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

I do data entry, shipping, receiving, soldering, manage the product I work on myself (little or no input from manager), organise work for one colleague, and I get paid the same as the cleaner in our company!!
    Plus I haven't had a payrise in two and a half years, company blaming the downturn eventho' there has been considerable growth within same company. I'm 52% of the national average.

I'm p***** off

Average wage doesn't really tell you much. The US for example has a higher average wage, largely contributed to by big CEOs and company owners earning millions and sometimes billions per year. There's also quite a large proportion of people below the poverty line.

Ireland's wage distribution on the other hand would have a lot less variance, with less extremes distorting the average figure. Still, the median is probably a more useful statistical tool to look at in this instance. You'd also want to compare the wage levels against the cost of living in the country to get a true picture of the quality of life.

I remember reading car ownership is one indicators Ireland's car ownership is high. Another one you could look at is the cost of bigmac Ireland's is also quite high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Mine:(
    Your wage is 46% of the Ireland average and 93% of the world average.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

jester77 wrote: »

The comparison takes relative purchasing power into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Funny looking at that. I'm just about over the average. Yet people who are much higher payed than me seem to struggle a lot more. I guess it's from the loans they took out to buy their shoebox apartments... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'm guessing you're a public sector worker.

Probably a nurse, they've been robbing the country for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

But 'wages' in this case doesn't cover money gained from illegal means. So the average for Ireland is actually much higher when you include the correct total income for politicians & bankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

This whole discussion and the calculator is a bloody joke because it doesn't include :

1. taxes
    2. return for your invested taxes
    3. additional payments you need to have

One story to consider : when I was pregnant, the first appointment + scan I got was for when I would be in the 5th month. Fortunately, when in my 12 weeks, me and my husband were visiting Germany. None of us is insured there. But we called a recommended gynaecologist, got an appointment, went there, got a complete examination and a scan including pictures. Without any insurance it cost us 80 Euro!!! Now how much would it cost over here? A good quality childcare over there is 350 Euro per month, parents get tax relieves because they have kids, public health service is much better. And don't get me started on value for money for school system and public transport.
    So while we maybe having a relatively high brutto salaries, count in everything this state is robbing us of in terms of taxes, extra payments you need to get a standard care and then we can discuss how great living in Ireland is.

haminka wrote: »
    This whole discussion and the calculator is a bloody joke because it doesn't include :

1. taxes

One story to consider : when I was pregnant, the first appointment + scan I got was for when I would be in the 5th month. Fortunately, when in my 12 weeks, me and my husband were visiting Germany. None of us is insured there. But we called a recommended gynaecologist, got an appointment, went there, got a complete examination and a scan including pictures. Without any insurance it cost us 80 Euro!!! Now how much would it cost over here? A good quality childcare over there is 350 Euro per month, parents get tax relieves because they have kids, public health service is much better. And don't get me started on value for money for school system and public transport.
    So while we maybe having a relatively high brutto salaries, count in everything this state is robbing us of in terms of taxes, extra payments you need to get a standard care and then we can discuss how great living in Ireland is.

That is unbelievable, to see my quack it cost me 50 euro for about 10 to 15 minutes of his time. But the irish medical profession (all of them) are generally world classed greedy bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Mine:(
    Your wage is 46% of the Ireland average and 93% of the world average.
    8% of the Irish average, 17% of the world average. I win!

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

I earn 103% of the national average and I only started my 'real job' 2 months ago.

So the lesson is... study hard, go to college, get a degree, go abroad for a few months, come home, work in a nightclub for a few months, go abroad for a few more months and then walk into a good job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

World average wage isn't $1,480, The table only contains 72 countries and does not contain the poorest ones.
    Also, average salary should not be used for anything as most people earn less. Median should be used instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

1. taxes

Why aren't you living in Germany then, just curious

1. taxes

But what is Ireland's level of taxation compared to Germany's? I'd wager that Ireland's is lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

But what is Ireland's level of taxation compared to Germany's? I'd wager that Ireland's is lower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Germany#Income_tax_rate_in_2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I say Bill Gates gets lot of kicks with totting his amount in:pac:

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I'm finding it difficult to get a good comparison between tax levels for Ireland and Germany though. Did come across this article which includes the following:
    As recently as 2007, TheNewEditor.com reported that Germans were emigrating at their highest rate since the 1940′s, resulting in a “brain drain” on the nation’s brightest and most motivated people. As a result of “high taxes and bureaucracy, thousands of Germans have upped sticks for Austria and Switzerland, or emigrated to the United States”

It does appear Germany has high taxes to pay for a somewhat generous social welfare system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Higher than world average, lower than Irish average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Thank you Germany.

Except Germany didn't bail us out.

We have bailed out their banks. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I no longer trust Wikipedia, colorful charts, or any simplification on taxes since I saw this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_around_the_world

I don't know what they were smoking when they came up with that, but it's awfully misleading (I'd call it flat out wrong) after having lived and worked in Ireland and the United States.

Advertisement