Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography essays

• 30-03-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi, i need help, I have started my revision and I find out that there are some exam questions that we never have done, essay questions. For the first few month geography teacher was sick, and instead of her we had stupid music teacher. I have no idea what to write in those essays:
    1.Explain how the theory of plate tectonics has aided our understanding of the occurrence of volcanic activity
    2.Explain with the aid of a labelled diagram, the process of global crustal plate movements as it is currently understood.
    3."plate boudaries are zones where crust is both created and destroyed". Examine the above statement, with reference to examples you have studied.
    4.Examine how a study of plate tectonics hepls us understand the occurrence of earthquakes
    5.Explain fow the study of plate tectonics has hepled us to understand the global distribution of volcanoes
    6.Explain how the study of plate tectonics helped us to understand the global distubution of fold mountains.
    7.Examine the impact of folding and faulting on the landscape. In your answer refer to one landform in each case.

May be someone have those essays done? can you send me a scanned sample...or you know the web page where those essays might be. I'am very stock(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

inkapinka wrote: »
    Hi, i need help, I have started my revision and I find out that there are some exam questions that we never have done, essay questions. For the first few month geography teacher was sick, and instead of her we had stupid music teacher. I have no idea what to write in those essays:
    1.Explain how the theory of plate tectonics has aided our understanding of the occurrence of volcanic activity pretty sure this and number 5 are the same. talk about constructive and destructive boundaries in detail, how volcanoes form there and the processes involved and explain those too. and diagrams!
    2.Explain with the aid of a labelled diagram, the process of global crustal plate movements as it is currently understood. This is just explaining constructive, destructive and passive plate boundaries, simple enough.
    3."plate boudaries are zones where crust is both created and destroyed". Examine the above statement, with reference to examples you have studied. Explain const and destructive again, and talk about passive and how those dont fit in there very well. use examples like the mid atlantic ridge.
    4.Examine how a study of plate tectonics hepls us understand the occurrence of earthquakes destructive and passive boundaries and what happens at them, processes in plate tectonics, and how that leads to earthquakes
    5.Explain fow the study of plate tectonics has hepled us to understand the global distribution of volcanoes think this is the same as number 1
    6.Explain how the study of plate tectonics helped us to understand the global distubution of fold mountains. this one is tricky...those only really occur at convergent boundaries and it usually comes up with faulting i think, not too sure, sorry!
    7.Examine the impact of folding and faulting on the landscape. In your answer refer to one landform in each case. explain both, how they happen, using examples like grabens and fold mountains in cork / rift valleys :)

May be someone have those essays done? can you send me a scanned sample...or you know the web page where those essays might be. I'am very stock(
    haha, thats basically my easter homework so yeah :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28 inkapinka

Patchy~ wrote: »
    haha, thats basically my easter homework so yeah :P

thanks looks much more simple, I'll try to write an essays on them...I'am so stock because we never have done them...neber saw them and was quite suprised a bit...the way they ask

thanks looks much more simple, I'll try to write an essays on them...I'am so stock because we never have done them...neber saw them and was quite suprised a bit...the way they ask
    Yeah they can be pretty daunting but theyre all quite similar, and in all of them you can explain the theory of plate movement and processes so its not too bad :) I dont think those q's would come up anyway, the fold mts did in 2010 but theyre a bit too simplistic for the exam now I think.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Yeah they can be pretty daunting but theyre all quite similar, and in all of them you can explain the theory of plate movement and processes so its not too bad :) I dont think those q's would come up anyway, the fold mts did in 2010 but theyre a bit too simplistic for the exam now I think.
    I'am in 5th year now...) i prepair for summer tests)

what if I was asked to talk about possitive and negative impact of volcanoes to human? what i wiil talk about?

• Advertisement

what if I was asked to talk about possitive and negative impact of volcanoes to human? what i wiil talk about?
    haha omg, thats on my list of easter work too! :pac: positive - geothermal energy, soils, tourism :) negative - destruction, pollution, and use examples like mt st helens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Any question that asks about plate tectonics should start off with an explanation (and possibly a quick sketch if you're quick) on convection currents - how the magma in the mantle circulates around and drags the crustal plates in different directions. Then you can discuss volcanoes/fold mtns/earthquakes or whatever the question specifically asks for.

For the positive impacts of volcanoes, talk about geothermal energy(Iceland as e.g.), improvements to soil fertility, possible tourist site etc.

The negative impacts of volcanoes are more obvious: Loss of life, destruction of infrastructure (roads, rail, pipelines etc), destruction of buildings, damage to crops, release of harmful gases into the atmosphere etc.

Thanks a lot.

Advertisement