Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People burying glass on sports pitches...where is this happening?

• 30-03-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭

I heard a piece on the Keith Finnegan Show this morning where he was speaking to city councillor(i think) about drunken behaviour at Salthil this week(was it that bad??) .
    As he was finishing up the guy from the council mentioned there is also a problem in Galway with people drinking in public then breaking their bottles and burying the broken bottle,broken side up in pitches in the city.They particularly do it around goal posts on sports pitches resulting in serious hazard for people who might be in goal playing soccer etc who might fall,not to mention kids playing.He said council workers and a guard have had to search pitches for glass and try to remove it.

Where is this happening and is there much awareness of it?

It struck me as something people would need to be aware of,particularly on these summery days. It's such a callous,evil thing to do. If anyone does see this practise I hope they'd ring the guards and report it and the people doing it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Well South Park in the Claddagh (aka the swamp) is the site of a former dump and stuff has been coming up through the grass for years.

The plots in Woodquay also suffered from cans & bottles being thrown into the long grass behind the goal at the Dyke Rd end for a long time (don't know if they cut the grass low now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can't say I've ever heard of this practise, fortunately.
    A quick google gives some hits from UK.

Such a scumbaggy thing to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

broken glass on sports fields = broken society?

Does'nt surprise me really, sure you can see all the broken glass at the side of the road so cyclists will get punctures?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

I never saw the beaches in Salthill as bad as this week with litter and bottles left everywhere after the hot couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

It was BEACHES not PITCHES

See other thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056591607

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Paddyfield wrote: »
    It was BEACHES not PITCHES

See other thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056591607

No it was pitches they spoke about. They talked about the beaches first and then moved onto talking about pitches.No goal posts on beaches!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ive seen this first hand, but with people throwing there empty beer bottles and trying to smash them off the top goalpost.

Im a goalkeeper in the Dublin area and a few times ive seen people gash there legs (1 serious) from broken bottles on the pitch. I always try check the pitch for broken glass before the match starts but unfortunately you can never spot it all :(

But this burrying bottles with the sharp part sticking out is pure scum :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

It was City councellor Declan McDonell who said it was happening on Mervue pitch, broken tops of bottles buried with broken bits up in goalposts.

Advertisement