Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Protest Tomorrow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I wouldn't be arsed, IMO anyone stupid enough to sign up for this bollox deserves any abuse they dish out to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

They're protesting against Scientology?

It's good that people are willing to take up an important cause in times like these. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Don't tell them about the Catholic Church!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

It's good that people are willing to take up an important cause in times like these. :rolleyes:

They've been protesting for 5 years.

As a result I'd say there are countless thousands who once took Scientology seriously now realise A) how stupid it is and B) how dangerous it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

LOL
    Yeah a week ago our main political party since the foundation of the state was deemed endemically corrupt.

Plus the IMF/ECB are on governmental speed dial. Unemployment is creeping up to a whopping half a million..

We really have greater problems that deserve our attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

If only paddy power would take bets on threads, I'd put money onto this turning into a legalise drugs debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People would take these protests a lot more seriously if they didn't all wear those stupid f*cking V for Vendetta masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

If only paddy power would take bets on threads, I'd put money onto this turning into a legalise drugs debate.

Nah, there's enough anti-Scientology folk here.

I'll turn into a "Is Scientology a religion?" thread followed by a "Is there a God?" thread (if it gets that far).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    People would take these protests a lot more seriously if they didn't all wear those stupid f*cking V for Vendetta masks.
    No they wouldn't. People are simply defending their superficiality using any means they can. If we had no masks people would simply find some other stupid thing to complain about.

A good example of this is your own comment given that about half of the protesters do not wear a mask (myself included) despite your assertion we all do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Where am I meant to get my free personality tests from now then?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

themadhair wrote: »
    No they wouldn't. People are simply defending their superficiality using any means they can. If we had no masks people would simply find some other stupid thing to complain about.

A good example of this is your own comment given that about half of the protesters do not wear a mask (myself included) despite your assertion we all do.

I never wore one when I attended some protests and I gave my full name to an Irish Times reporter who wrote an article for the next day quoting me direct.

The general public.

Join the FF cult - your nuts!
    Join FG - your a more European outlook
    Join Labour - your conflicted!
    Join the Monster Raving Looney Party - your a realist in outlook!

A reputable medical facility staffed with some personnel suitably qualified in a relevant field (such as psychiatry or psychology) that is subject to an oversight ethics board?

Good. You should tell the people who do wear them to stop it. It makes them look like they're silly fanboys who can't do anything without making pop culture references. It thoroughly undermines any point they're trying to make.

I'm very much in the anti-scientology camp but by God those masks irritate the f*ck out of me (and many people that I know).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭Riddle101

They're protesting against Scientology. Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Jason Lee must be sh!tting themselves.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

preddy wrote: »
    Sorry, I have to work.

Have a good one.

Are the Scientology lot still on Abbey Street? I was walking past there the last day and it looked very unused - stuff stacked up against the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

I went to the one in 2008. Haven't touched 4chan in a number of years though.

This still makes me laugh.

http://www.inquisitr.com/15428/anonymous-member-raids-scientology-while-covered-in-pubic-hair/
    A member of Anonymous (the name applied to and used by forum users and internet activists, Anonymous is not a group as such) has raided two Scientology offices in New York, while covered in pubic hair and nail clippings.
    The stunt, naturally filmed, shows a raider covering himself in vaseline and applying the pubic hair and nail clippings before the raid, and the raid itself. Walking shirtless while covered in pubic hair in New York in the middle of winter though may be more on the side of insane than brave.
    The raider was arrested Wednesday and charged with burglary, criminal mischief and aggravated harassment as a hate crime.

That article leaves out the part where he started to "smear" himself off the walls.

Are the Scientology lot still on Abbey Street? I was walking past there the last day and it looked very unused - stuff stacked up against the windows.

O' they are still there.
    They are very seriously in debt - for which they get their bills paid by the USA bunch.
    Revenues have continued to decline at the Irish branch of the Church of Scientology as it remains deep in the red, figures show.

Interest-free loans from abroad are propping up the Irish branch, which is €686,723 in the red, acc-ording to its latest accounts.

However, the non-executive director of the Church of Scientology Mission of Dublin, Gerard Ryan, said yesterday its membership continued to grow last year and "our church in Ireland is definitely here for the long haul".

Financial documents lodged by the Church of Scientology Mission of Dublin Ltd with the Companies Office show revenues fell 14%, from €193,509 to €166,086.

This followed the church’s revenues more than halving in 2009 from €484,070 recorded in 2008.

As a result of revenues further decreasing in 2010, the church’s operating surplus dropped 98%, from €68,292 to €1,391. This compares to a surplus of €271,804 in 2008. The accounts are for the 12-month period to the end of Apr 2010, but were only signed off by the board on Feb 20 of this year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/foreign-loans-keep-irish-branch-of-scientology-afloat-187323.html

Biggins wrote: »
    O' they are still there.
    They are very seriously in debt - for which they get their bills paid by the USA bunch.

They must be seriously annoyed with them in Scientology HQ. Their offices in the States that I've seen are always so plush.

• Advertisement

They must be seriously annoyed with them in Scientology HQ. Their offices in the States that I've seen are always so plush.

Well when you get Nancy Cartwright (does some voices of the Simpson's) throwing ten million at them in funding every so often, this does not come as a surprise.

The Anon protest site: http://www.anonireland.org/

Good. You should tell the people who do wear them to stop it. It makes them look like they're silly fanboys who can't do anything without making pop culture references. It thoroughly undermines any point they're trying to make.
    Ignoring the small salient point that the imagery the mask provided was a large part in making chanology a world-wide protest, this would appear to be precisely the sort of superficiality I mentioned in a previous post.

It also ignores the whole 'fair game' aspect of protesting Scientology, although there is little of that in Ireland (due to their presence here being only a Mission and not an Org). I'm sure that anons participating in the worldwide protests, especially those who have suffered severe harassment from Scientology as a result, will consider your suggestion over their personal safety solely to allow you to feel receptive to our message without your superficiality allowing it to be undermined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Ron will not be amused!

...It also ignores the whole 'fair game' aspect of protesting Scientology, although there is little of that in Ireland (due to their presence here being only a Mission and not an Org).
    Just as further info...

http://brainz.org/16-victims-church-scientology/

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/scientologists-in-feud-over-tyrannical-leader-2978283.html

At its hight of popularity in Ireland (thankfully VERY brief!), there was indeed a number of people who families were treated very badly when they spoke up against the cult claiming rights on their children.

Advertisement