Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolf!!

• 30-03-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get a pure bred wolf in Ireland
    And where would you get it
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

a wolf made out of bread? strange request! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I've heard of Peanut butter wolf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Dont think you cany any dogs made from Bread....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Sh** just copped that spelling ha sorry yas know what I mean sh*t feel like a right clown now ha

Why on earth would you want a wolf anyway? They are wild animals, not domesticated so are far from suitable to be owned as a pet, its ridiculous to even consider such thing:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Get the closest domesticated dog, Huski, Akita, Malmut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

andreac wrote: »
    Why on earth would you want a wolf anyway? They are wild animals, not domesticated so are far from suitable to be owned as a pet, its ridiculous to even consider such thing:confused:

I'd doubt he really wants a wolf. At the very least not a full bred wolf.
    Beyond the obvious issues of it being a completely wild animal, people's images of wolves has been massively skewed by hollywood and other pop culture. A malmut would appear to the lay person a lot more wolf-like then an actual wolf at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

A Tamaskan is the most wolflike dog I've come across without being or having any wolf in it.

663782514.jpg

According to the wiki they even train better than huskies, sounds and looks like a good dog for people who want to have a wolflike dog.

front1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Why question him when he's looking for answers?

Everything originally started out wild if u think bout it I have ferrets they were once wild and tamed I have a female Harris hawk they are still wild and mine is tamed
    I have a male Akita also
    But I was just curious about if they can be baught in Ireland
    What sparked my curiosity was I seen a sarloosWolfhund for sale and just arose my mind to ask can actual wolves be baught

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

If you really have to ask that then im not even going to explain myself. Do you know anything about wolves then you should know they arent suitable for pets.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

If you really have to ask that then im not even going to explain myself. Do you know anything about wolves then you should know they arent suitable for pets.
    How do u figure that? Are you saying no animal canbe tamed there are people out there with leopards and bobcats and wolves and even wolverines as pets and are tamed and kept as loyal companions

Get a white German shepherd

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed so. You might be able to tame one, but it's not domesticated. As a pup you'd likely notice little difference, beyond stronger food aggression, but as it matured that's when the trouble starts. One of the effects of domestication is the animal in question retains juvenile characteristics in the adult. Neotony. Very basically dogs never grow up, wolves do. Dogs retain the puppy behaviour like playing, barking, acceptance of new stimuli and people and remaining with the family/group. Wolves go through that stage, mature and thereafter largely stop all those behaviours.

Secondly do have an idea what wolf temperament is like? They're very extreme. So if it's a submissive animal it's very submissive and will pee itself every time you approach. If it's an aggressive animal, it's going to be very aggressive and that you do not want with a very strong dog/canid weighing up to 10 stone with larger teeth, over twice the bite force of a rothweiller and the ability to hit 40mph in seconds. Add in that this temperament could change in a moment as they mature. They're nervous, twitchy, run at the slightest noise, would not defend you or guard your stuff. All in all great as wolves, but as dogs about as much use as tits on a bull.

Sure a minority of wolves would be more dog like, after all they were the ones we selected back in the day, but they're rare and you won't have the choice we did back then. Neither will you have the hunter gatherer lifestyle of our ancestors that was very close to wolves so we were a good match for each other. If you were a caveman from 50,000 years ago I'd say give it a bash Ted, but you're not.

Then you have to house the animal. This would require a very large zoo like enclosure with 15foot fences and 3 foot going under the ground(they dig like moles). Even with a very large enclosure it's not following it's nature which is that of an incredibly mobile animal with stamina that would test a dog sled team. Plus you'd have to have more than one as you won't be enough company. Then you'd have to have a ready supply of raw meat and carcasses, pedigree chum wont cut it.
    Karlitto wrote: »
    Get the closest domesticated dog, Huski, Akita, Malmut
    Shih Tzu and pekes are just as close :D Or get a German Shepherd or better yet a Belgian shepherd(far fewer genetic issues) as they had wolf blood brought in in the very early days of the breed.
    Orim wrote: »
    Beyond the obvious issues of it being a completely wild animal, people's images of wolves has been massively skewed by hollywood and other pop culture. A malmut would appear to the lay person a lot more wolf-like then an actual wolf at this stage.
    Exactly. Because wolves aren't very trainable nor predictable very very few movies/TV use the real deal. TBH I can only recall one, coincidentally :D called Dances with Wolves*. Usually they use huskies, various Shepherds with hair dye or more unusually Czech or Saarloos wolfdogs.
    cruizer101 wrote:
    A Tamaskan is the most wolflike dog I've come across without being or having any wolf in it.
    Even with them and similar breeds there is some suspicion of wolf blood. But yea a much better bet.

*You can see some of the diffs between him and a dog/husky there. Bigger head by proportion with longer muzzle and bigger teeth, fully furred ears, wild colouring, leaner with very narrow chest, long legs and huge feet

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

derekeire wrote: »
    Get a white German shepherd
    Never liked them I'd prefer my Akita anyday
    German shepherds are too needy

If you all had read my question I asked is there pure bred wolves in Ireland and who basically breeds them like where would you get one didn't say I wanted one just asking if people have them in Ireland
    So anyone out there willin to answer that question please do
    For those who just want to question y would I want one please don't reply
    Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK then short answer no, outside of Dublin Zoo and the like there are no "breeders" of pure wolves in Ireland. Even with our lax legislation it would be illegal.

There are a couple of people who have brought in Saarloos and Czech wolfdogs from the UK, but that has issues too. One, the lines seem very inbred and pedigrees are hard if not impossible to come by. There are a lot of mixes. two, a Saarloos if purebred tends to be a very nervous dog, while Czechs would be a dog only for an experienced dog owner. Think of a strong working line German Shepherd on speed. Neither would be insurable.
    How do u figure that? Are you saying no animal canbe tamed there are people out there with leopards and bobcats and wolves and even wolverines as pets and are tamed and kept as loyal companions
    With respect and no offence meant DA, if you don't know the difference between tame and domesticated you would not be a good candidate for any dog with wolf blood. IMHO of course. Also IMHO I have found those out there who want an animal like this are the very ones that shouldn't have one. They usually have no idea of what it may involve, what the animals social and physical needs are and have little idea about the species in question. Usually their idea of a wolf is very very different to the reality of one. Too many macho types or worse ditsy hippie at one with nature types.

Don't get me wrong DA I can understand why someone would want an animal like that. They're a magnificent creature up close. They can also be quite affectionate, but not a "pet". Ditto for leopards etc. Wolverines? :D ehhh let's just say if you had one of those as a pet you'd very quickly end up being only count up to one or two on your fingers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    OK then short answer no, outside of Dublin Zoo and the like there are no "breeders" of pure wolves in Ireland. Even with our lax legislation it would be illegal.

There are a couple of people who have brought in Saarloos and Czech wolfdogs from the UK, but that has issues too. One, the lines seem very inbred and pedigrees are hard if not impossible to come by. There are a lot of mixes. two, a Saarloos if purebred tends to be a very nervous dog, while Czechs would be a dog only for an experienced dog owner. Think of a strong working line German Shepherd on speed. Neither would be insurable.
    With respect and no offence meant DA, if you don't know the difference between tame and domesticated you would not be a good candidate for any dog with wolf blood. IMHO of course. Also IMHO I have found those out there who want an animal like this are the very ones that shouldn't have one. They usually have no idea of what it may involve, what the animals social and physical needs are and have little idea about the species in question. Usually their idea of a wolf is very very different to the reality of one. Too many macho types or worse ditsy hippie at one with nature types.

Don't get me wrong DA I can understand why someone would want an animal like that. They're a magnificent creature up close. They can also be quite affectionate, but not a "pet". Ditto for leopards etc. Wolverines? :D ehhh let's just say if you had one of those as a pet you'd very quickly end up being only count up to one or two on your fingers.
    Bad enuff the ferrets do take the odd chunk from my fingers eh ha I know what u mean no I don't want a wolf wouldn't be experienced enuff for it my Akita is a handful already and he's 11 stone of muscle big dog was just curious if people in Ireland have them
    Also anyone have a leopard pm me ha just kiddin

Sorry to be pedantic, but Akitas dont weigh 11 stone. The weigh around 45-60kg which is around 7 1/2 to 8 stone, far from 11 stone.

I hear people saying the same about their rotties when there is no way a rottie is 11 stone. Mine is a big enough dog and hes 50kg so nowhere near 11 stone.

Yea ferrets aren't a bad example. DA They're tame alright and have been around long enough to be selectively bred, plus their life in the wild is not too dissimilar to a life in captivity especially if the owner hunts and the like. Even then they can be nippy little bastards :D A mate had them when I was a kid. He has the scars to prove it. :) Something like a wolf would be very different though as far as the comparison between it's life as a pet and in the wild. If you think an Akita is hard at times... :D Strength wise even an Akita wouldn't have much hope against a wolf. Wolf hunters in the past used to use packs of wolfhounds for this reason and even then it wsn't a sure thing. They would usually lose a few hounds in the process. The Irish wolfhound is unusual as they were originally bred for one on one hunting and look at the size of those feckers. :eek::)

• Advertisement

Sorry to be pedantic, but Akitas dont weigh 11 stone. The weigh around 45-60kg which is around 7 1/2 to 8 stone, far from 11 stone.

I hear people saying the same about their rotties when there is no way a rottie is 11 stone. Mine is a big enough dog and hes 50kg so nowhere near 11 stone.
    U do know Akitas have been known to reach 13 stone don't u I suggest u look it up on a website recent vet check he weighed 68 kg so are u sayin it's impossible

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yea ferrets aren't a bad example. DA They're tame alright and have been around long enough to be selectively bred, plus their life in the wild is not too dissimilar to a life in captivity especially if the owner hunts and the like. Even then they can be nippy little bastards :D A mate had them when I was a kid. He has the scars to prove it. :) Something like a wolf would be very different though as far as the comparison between it's life as a pet and in the wild. If you think an Akita is hard at times... :D Strength wise even an Akita wouldn't have much hope against a wolf. Wolf hunters in the past used to use packs of wolfhounds for this reason and even then it wsn't a sure thing. They would usually lose a few hounds in the process. The Irish wolfhound is unusual as they were originally bred for one on one hunting and look at the size of those feckers. :eek::)
    Oh trust me I have scars aswell from them and scars from the hawks feet grabbing my bare flesh it happens but yeah ferrets would be good example like yesterday diggin hole lookin for ferret and seen the rabbit and course didn't see the ferret and well put it this way little girl inside me screamed out ha
    Wolfhounds I reckon are big enuff for wolves but wolves have different fighting strategies a dog will go for throat where as a wolf will go for any unprotected area
    Thanks for replies wibbs seem to know ya stuff

I never said it was impossible but the normal average weight of an Akita wouldnt be 11 stone.

Any of the info ive ever come across with Akitas says they get up to 60kg.

Wolfhounds I reckon are big enuff for wolves but wolves have different fighting strategies a dog will go for throat where as a wolf will go for any unprotected area
    On that score and pertinent to the discussion... From Wikipedia
    Accounts as to how wolves react to being attacked by dogs vary, though John James Audubon wrote that young wolves generally show submissive behaviour, while older wolves fight savagely.[13] As wolves are not as fast as smaller canids such as coyotes, they typically run to a low place and wait for the dogs to come over from the top and fight them.[7] Theodore Roosevelt stressed the danger cornered wolves can pose to a pack of dogs in his Hunting the Grisly and Other Sketches:

“ A wolf is a terrible fighter. He will decimate a pack of hounds by rabid snaps with his giant jaws while suffering little damage himself; nor are the ordinary big dogs, supposed to be fighting dogs, able to tackle him without special training. I have known one wolf to kill a bulldog which had rushed at it with a single snap, while another which had entered the yard of a Montana ranch house slew in quick succession both of the large mastiffs by which it was assailed. The immense agility and ferocity of the wild beast, the terrible snap of his long-toothed jaws, and the admirable training in which he always is, give him a great advantage over fat, small-toothed, smooth-skinned dogs, even though they are nominally supposed to belong to the fighting classes. In the way that bench competitions are arranged nowadays this is but natural, as there is no temptation to produce a worthy class of fighting dog when the rewards are given upon technical points wholly unconnected with the dog's usefulness. A prize-winning mastiff or bulldog may be almost useless for the only purposes for which his kind is ever useful at all. A mastiff, if properly trained and of sufficient size, might possibly be able to meet a young or undersized Texas wolf; but I have never seen a dog of this variety which I would esteem a match single-handed for one of the huge timber wolves of western Montana. Even if the dog was the heavier of the two, his teeth and claws would be very much smaller and weaker and his hide less tough. ”

The fighting styles of wolves and dogs differ significantly; while dogs typically limit themselves to attacking the head, neck and shoulder, wolves will make greater use of body blocks, and attack the extremities of their opponents.[14]
    Not a creature you would want next nor near a family home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

This guy was supposed to be a bit Wolf, he was completely out of control and vicious to anyone bar my husband and I. He was in a state when we got him and we never found out why half his tail was gone.

Seeing him in that pic makes me miss him:-(

Possibly though IMHO very low content. Nice looking doggy though. His character shows through. It's hard when you lose them...

With crosses it seems pretty much in all but rare cases the more wolf they look, the more wolf they are kinda thing. The phenotype strongly follows the genotype. It's almost a hard and fast rule. I've always held a fascination with them and have been lucky enough to be up close with both American Greys and European wolves and you'd not mistake them for an Alsation. The grey can vary a bit in looks. Many are downright rough looking IMHO. Personally I reckon the European looks much more "doggy" and better looking, more elegant for want of a better word. Slightly smaller, less lanky with much bigger more doggy ears, kinda foxy looking and really cool stripes down their front legs. :) I thought they were less twitchy and friendlier too. More "Oh look a human!! Yay!" Than "Oh fcuk! a human :eek:". EG

They look more like a standardised breed of dog if you know what I mean? Though they can look sooooo different in their summer coat compared to their winter one*.

Funny enough wild black phase wolves get that gene from the domestic dog. Mostly found in the US. Probably came from matings with native Americans dogs. They, their dogs and wolves lived in close proximity to each other back in the day, seemingly peacefully and for mutual benefit too. Interestingly the Native Americans didn't use dogs when hunting which is one assumption we make about the domestication reasoning, but instead used them as pack animals. Well they didn't have the Llamas of south Americas and didn't have the horse until the Spanish showed up in the wake of Columbus. Inuit folks went one better and used them as trucks and snowmobiles :)

*apparently that famous pic may have been staged. It may be a tame one that's hired out for films and TV as according to experts wolves won't leap over fences like that. They sensibly climb under them. Lazy gits :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

gud4u wrote: »
    This guy was supposed to be a bit Wolf, he was completely out of control and vicious to anyone bar my husband and I. He was in a state when we got him and we never found out why half his tail was gone.

Seeing him in that pic makes me miss him:-(

The dog in that picture is lying at my feet! Well, should say I have a dog identical to him, because she's the same breed as him. I owned her aunt aswell, I've met several from their lines, and have researched them in fair detail.
    The ones I have known were/are the gentlest, sweetest, loveliest dogs anyone could ever hope to know, real "dog of a lifetime" material. The ones from the line I'm familiar with are all big, big dogs: tall, straight-backed and strongly but athletically built with a lot of bone.

The breed?
    100% German Shepherd! Not a whiff of wolf in sight... well, no more than any other dog anyway.
    Most people who have met my GSDs have no idea what breed they are :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

The breed?
    100% German Shepherd! Not a whiff of wolf in sight... well, no more than any other dog anyway.
    Most people who have met my GSDs have no idea what breed they are :o[/QUOTE]

TBH, We didn't know what he was when we got him, there's a fair story attached to him. He was great with us, a real gentledog with our terrier and me. Would sleep at your feet as well, but if anyone so much as raised a voice or hand while talking(as in gestering) he'd go for them. He attacked 3 people while we had him.
    The pic doesn't do his height justice, most people were terrified of him, I had to stop walking him on our local beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

recommended viewing is the secret life of dogs. there is a study shown where they tape wolf pups from the mother at a couple days old and try raise them in the same manner as a litter of pups. completely different results. its on youtube. take a look. really interesting if you like dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

recommended viewing is the secret life of dogs. there is a study shown where they tape wolf pups from the mother at a couple days old and try raise them in the same manner as a litter of pups. completely different results. its on youtube. take a look. really interesting if you like dogs

One of my favourite documentaries! Really recommend it

Advertisement