Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Gannon Park Be Renamed?

Options
  • 30-03-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I just had a conversation with somebody, who is involved in the Dept. of Environment, Heritage and Local Government. (I have no idea of their role, or anything else.. I think that's the Dept they work in.)

Anyway, the long and short of it, during the conversation, maybe some sweeping statements were made, which i won't repeat here, but one point the person made, was Gannon Park should be renamed, to something/someone who has actually had some history/involvement with the club/area.

Gannon Park is the football training ground that has been built at the edge of Malahide/Portmarnock. inside Robswall Park.
    It is the Home Ground to Malahide Utd. FC.

A lot of people get confused with Robswall Park, actual being Gannon Park.

Many locals have already started naming it NAMA park.

Gannon himself, made the decision to name the park after himself.
    His belief is that he built it (Out of the kindness of his heart) for the local Football communities to have and use.
    The local belief is that he built it, in return for getting their old football pitches, and planning permission to build 500+ dwellings in Robswall, where many people before have been refused to build one or two houses, because it would "obstruct the view".

Now, i no longer care, how or why he built it, but there is a valid case, as to why the park should be renamed, and distance themselves from Gannon himself.

Who is Gerry Gannon - Golden Circle Member?

IrishCentral Link (Just over a year old)

Background of Gerry Gannon

I know there is probably worse, but the meat dumping? :eek: <mod snip>:mad:

I'm not very good with the wording of things like this.. :o So i don't know how to express in words how i feel about this, and there are many, many other newspaper articles with many other stories about him, but after that conversation today,

i honestly believe that Park should be renamed.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Well, what do you want to rename it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Allyall wrote: »
    I just had a conversation with somebody, who is involved in the Dept. of Environment, Heritage and Local Government. (I have no idea of their role, or anything else.. I think that's the Dept they work in.) ?
    They could do with another Gannon now to pump in a few €uro
    Anyway, the long and short of it, during the conversation, maybe some sweeping statements were made, which i won't repeat here, but one point the person made, was Gannon Park should be renamed, to something/someone who has actually had some history/involvement with the club/area.

Gannon Park is the football training ground that has been built at the edge of Malahide/Portmarnock. inside Robswall Park.
    It is the Home Ground to Malahide Utd. FC.

A lot of people get confused with Robswall Park, actual being Gannon Park. Many locals have already started naming it NAMA park.

Gannon himself, made the decision to name the park after himself.
    His belief is that he built it (Out of the kindness of his heart) for the local Football communities to have and use.
    The local belief is that he built it, in return for getting their old football pitches, and planning permission to build 500+ dwellings in Robswall, where many people before have been refused to build one or two houses, because it would "obstruct the view".

Now, i no longer care, how or why he built it, but there is a valid case, as to why the park should be renamed, and distance themselves from Gannon himself.

Who is Gerry Gannon - Golden Circle Member?

IrishCentral Link (Just over a year old)

Background of Gerry Gannon

I know there is probably worse, but the meat dumping? :eek: <mod snip>:mad:

I'm not very good with the wording of things like this.. :o So i don't know how to express in words how i feel about this, and there are many, many other newspaper articles with many other stories about him, but after that conversation today,

Anyone else?

Not me. This is one of many grounds named after a sponsor. Aviva, Hunkey dorey park in Drogheda, the Emirates, .......

The long and short of it is they were happy to take his money for this development and the money he put into Sporting Fingal when he was asked. Why bother renaming it. I would be suprised if Mr. Gannon does not bounce back. He donated a lot of money to clubs, groups and charities in North Dublin for many years. He was not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

LeoB wrote: »
    They could do with another Gannon now to pump in a few €uro

Not me. This is one of many grounds named after a sponsor. Aviva, Hunkey dorey park in Drogheda, the Emirates, .......

The long and short of it is they were happy to take his money for this development and the money he put into Sporting Fingal when he was asked. Why bother renaming it. I would be suprised if Mr. Gannon does not bounce back. He donated a lot of money to clubs, groups and charities in North Dublin for many years. He was not all bad.

They both done each other a favour, he got their old ground, and planning permission on it, they got the Club/pitch.

He didn't donate to them. It was a scratch each others back scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Did they not just swap lands and he paid for the lights n clubhouse? He also did somthing similar in donagmeade with trinity gaels. They played on what is now the entrance and park at clongriffin and he gave them a site on the back road to portmarnock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

OP when you contacted Malahide FC what was there view? Do they own the park or are they just tenants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Anyone else?

I believe it shouldn't be renamed. Gerry Gannon has done a lot in the Fingal area to promote sport, much of which was of no financial gain to him.

If there is a new sponsor, who wants to pump money in, and have the grounds renamed, I've no issues with that.

But, I'm sure that Malahide Utd. FC are very happy with all that Gerry Gannon has done for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Paulw wrote: »
    I believe it shouldn't be renamed. Gerry Gannon has done a lot in the Fingal area to promote sport, much of which was of no financial gain to him.

If there is a new sponsor, who wants to pump money in, and have the grounds renamed, I've no issues with that.

But, I'm sure that Malahide Utd. FC are very happy with all that Gerry Gannon has done for them.
    the gain to him was support for planning permissions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

the gain to him was support for planning permissions etc

Maybe in that particular instance, but he has supported and helped other clubs and organisations.

Aside from that, you don't need support for planning permission, you only need not to have valid objections. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

The club originally only had squatters rights and then they moved to the other side of the tower with an agreement with Gannon in so far as he would build the club house etc for them..

Dunno bout the 'NAMA Park' nickname?

I for one think it should be left as Gannon Park, he ploughed a lot of money into the club and well we are blessed with the facilities with 52+ teams in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

They both done each other a favour, he got their old ground, and planning permission on it, they got the Club/pitch.

He didn't donate to them. It was a scratch each others back scenario.

Not quite. He donated to a lot of clubs in North Dublin, soccer, G.A.A. Rugby to name but a few. Speaking to a member of Malahide they are more than happy with what they got, top clas facilities.

And to clarify my point earlier about Sporting Fingal he was shown plans and then he offered them the money. He felt it was a good community project and effort.

• Advertisement
Advertisement