Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bye bye from Newstalk breakfast Ivan Yates, But will you be missed? (POLL ADDED)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just listened back to them on playback.. I'll miss him anyway.. Good show with the two of them on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Won't miss your plebeian obsession with British soccer which destroyed your many positive and enlightening points.

A charmer, a plámáser, but a turn-off with that shíte about soccer as if we're all idiots.

You have to remember, he's a bookie, he makes money out of fools who think next week's scores will be any different from last week's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Dirigent wrote: »
    You have to remember, he's a bookie, he makes money out of fools who think next week's scores will be any different from last week's.

Have you been living in a cave. Celtic bookmakers went bust last year. He's up his neck in debt. I believe it's one of the reasons he's leaving radio so he can declare himself bankrupt in the UK.

Have you been living in a cave. Celtic bookmakers went bust last year. He's up his neck in debt. I believe it's one of the reasons he's leaving radio so he can declare himself bankrupt in the UK.

I should have said he's a crap bookie. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

It was good to have an alternative to Morning Ireland. I mostly switched back and forth between the two, Morning Ireland's dreary dullness can be to much too bear at that time of the morning. Chris and Shane = the bland leading the bland.

So yeah, I'll miss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

EchoO wrote: »
    It was good to have alternative to Morning Ireland. I mostly switched back and forth between the two, Morning Ireland's dreary dullness can be to much to bear at that time of the morning. Chris and Shane = the bland leading the bland.

So yeah, I'll miss him.

Yeah me too. My sentiments exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

works been mad so i didnt get to listen to his last show.

thursdays a weird day to finish up on so that threw me too. just streamed the podcast now to hear it.

nice farewell from him. it is mad how quick newstalk have changed the site but i get the feeling as soon as the bankruptcy is sorted he'll be back in some form or another as they do seem to like him at FGFM for some reason :)

kidding aside they better have someone better than shane to take up the gap as he's not up to it. TBH though thats nothing new. fecking woeful state of affairs going on right now in radio broadcasting.

im at the closest ive been in decades to just streaming music on my phone as virtually nothing is gripping me anymore outside the last word and the sunday business show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I liked him on the show, and he was the reason I listened to it.

One problem with the show though, was that on any big news morning, Newstalk would always get "the Minister" or whoever, just after Morning Ireland; but in one way that is good because you could hear the same interview and rehearsed phrases rehashed, and any interview would never go past the 8.30 mark unlike on MI where a good interview is allowed continue.

But I have to say that Yates's sometimes dismissive attitude to Chris O Donohoe was a bit ignorant at times.

Unless the get some similar intelligent and mature (not Hector etc.) "character" in to replace him ratings will dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Won't miss your plebeian obsession with British soccer which destroyed your many positive and enlightening points.

A charmer, a plámáser, but a turn-off with that shíte about soccer as if we're all idiots.

You'll find that obsession stretches right across the O'Brien empire, particularly with Today FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭GSF

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You'll find that obsession stretches right across the O'Brien empire, particularly with Today FM.
    and even to the listeners. down with them for giving people what they want, rather than what you think they you be having

I'm a listener. But there's a difference between providing what listeners want, and having a wet dream about it during every news report. I've brought this up before, but the largest mass participation sporting event in Ireland every year still only comes second to mindless goings on in some lower league division in England.

I'm a listener. But there's a difference between providing what listeners want, and having a wet dream about it during every news report. I've brought this up before, but the largest mass participation sporting event in Ireland every year still only comes second to mindless goings on in some lower league division in England.
    I'd expect the amount of coverage depends on the time of year. With the Premier League reaching its finale now, you'd expect more coverage. Not that many people bother about GAA until the Championship starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In fairness Newstalk do provide decent GAA coverage during the championship, they acquired rights to broadcast certain games and they always have a discussion panel in studio each Sat and Sunday during the summer.

I'm not a mega fan of English soccer either but the majority of sports fans in this part of the world do have an interest in it, so hence they provide broad coverage during the soccer season.

Agree, I never said they Newstalk didn't have decent coverage of other sports, they do. But it's the daily hourly sports bulletins where it's really noticeable, just listen to any of the Today FM sports bulletins during the morning or evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Yes, but it's one or two stories at most - lasting a minute or so. I wouldn't have thought it would be enough to annoy anyone.

• Advertisement

EchoO wrote: »
    Yes, but it's one or two stories at most - lasting a minute or so. I wouldn't have thought it would be enough to annoy anyone.

When it's always the same sh1te about Man U and Sur Alex Ferguson, it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

half the reason i now seldom listen to Morning Ireland and RTE radio was becaue of their clear bias towards the GAA in all sports news, we could have won the world cup in rugby, medals in the olympics or a masters in golf and RTE would generally lead with GAA news and allocate the vast bulk of the sports news to GAA parochial stories. Des Cahill is the worst for this.

Even this morning RTE's sports bulletin had a long interview with the Cavan U21 coach.

and i'm a GAA fan.

I was talking about the Dublin City Marathon, how many thousand entrants does it get ? I distinctly remember two years ago listening to hear who had won on the Today FM sports bulletin and they genuinely started the bulletin with a story about league 1 or 2 games in England, not even a premiership game as I don't think any were on that day.

I was talking about the Dublin City Marathon, how many thousand entrants does it get ? I distinctly remember two years ago listening to hear who had won on the Today FM sports bulletin and they genuinely started the bulletin with a story about league 1 or 2 games in England, not even a premiership game as I don't think any were on that day.
    Thousands go fishing too but I never hear about that on the news either

Fishing is as sporty as darts :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

good morning...

hadn't listened to the show in a week or two but had the misfortune this morning on the way into work, can somebody tell me please...who in bleedin gods name is that sliotar eating bog monkey they have on now instead of Ivan???? he is absolutely sh*te...awful, brutal. he can't even read the pre prepared scripts we're not supposed to know he has. alongside that snot nosed little git Donoghue you've got a serious mess of a show...horrible cringeworthy stuff. give me a Hector and Joe Duffy duo over these two clowns any day. pure muck.

That would be Mick Clifford

What is Hector?

2FM breakfast DJ - the fact that someone needs to ask who he is shows how far 2FM has fallen in the last few years

GSF wrote: »
    2FM breakfast DJ - the fact that someone needs to ask who he is shows how far 2FM has fallen in the last few years

No, i know well who he is, i just despise him and 2fm in general.
    Hector=turf thrower, not unlike the aforementioned Mick.

The only saving grace for Mick is that he displays some intelligence on TV.
    If given time he will probably work out ok, he s only been on a couple of weeks in fairness.

The last straw for me with 2fm was when they started really dumbing down by playing idiot drum music under the news headlines. And that weird voiced git in the aftetnoons, jeez!

Advertisement