Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stiliyan Petrov diagnosed with acute leukaemia

• 30-03-2012 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

Really like him as a player/pro .

Hopefully he makes a full recovery .

Details still a bit sketchy .
    Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov has been diagnosed with acute leukaemia, the club have said.

The condition was diagnosed following tests after the Bulgaria international, 32, developed a fever following last Saturday’s defeat to Arsenal.

A statement from the club said: “We expect to learn more about Stiliyan’s situation in due course and we have moved quickly to support him and his family.

“During this time we ask that Stiliyan’s privacy is placed ahead of all inquiries and trust that we will share information as we receive it.

“Stiliyan is cherished by many and he will get from Villa every ounce of love and support that we have to help bring this to a positive conclusion.”

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/petrov-diagnosed-with-acute-leukaemia-545604.html#ixzz1qbqdjYnj

Link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Likeable player. Hope he gets well very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Top pro. Works like a soldier for the team and a model of consistency usually.

wow, shocked
    Leukaemia is cancer of the white blood cells. Symptoms include pale skin, tiredness, breathlessness and susceptibility to infection. Acute leukaemia means that the condition progresses rapidly and aggressively and requires immediate treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Played for my team's arch rivals horrible thing to happen get well soon Stan :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Horrible news, hope he pulls through

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wish him well. Fine player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Awful, wish him the best of luck on the road to a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Honest player, get well soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Keep the Faith Stan, YNWA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

He was quality at Celtic, kinda a different player since moving to England, but always liked him, seems like a legend! Sad news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wow, actually got his name on the back of a Celtic jersey once, used to be one of my favourite players. Hope he gets better...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Horrible news, he'll fight it and win I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Awful news, I think he's an excellent pro; get well soon Stiliyan, hope the best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Horrible news, he'll fight it and win I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

This makes me very, very sad, a Celtic legend!

If he shows the same attitude in fighting this as he shows on the pitch he'll overcome it no problem!

Get well soon Stan!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Horrible, hope he pulls through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hope he makes a full recover!! Top pro and always got the impression he is well liked on a personal level as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hope he makes a full recovery very likeable fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Poor Stan, real genuine fella, great attitude, when MON dropped him when he was under-performing in his first season at Villa, he never moaned or whinged or complained, just vowed to work harder to regain his place, always the model professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Acute is bad, get well soon

eiuypk.jpg
    Celtic Family's support for Stiliyan Petrov
    By: Newsroom Staff on 30 Mar, 2012 14:39

NEIL Lennon has spoken for the entire Celtic family in describing his absolute devastation regarding the terrible news that Stiliyan Petrov has been diagnosed with acute leukaemia.

The Celtic manager is a friend and former team-mate of the Bulgarian midfielder, as is Alan Thompson and Johan Mjallby. And they, like everyone else, have been left stunned by the news of Petrov’s illness.

Neil Lennon said: “We are all absolutely devastated to hear this news. As a member of the Celtic family, it is important for Stiliyan to know that he has our unequivocal support in battling against this disease.

“Knowing Stiliyan as I do, and the many obstacles he has overcome in his life to get to the peak of his career, he will overcome this one too.

“On behalf of the players and the backroom staff we send our support and best wishes to Stiliyan, Paulina and the family. We are there for them all and they will never walk alone.”

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just hearing about this now, shocked tbh. Between Hartson and Petrov, two young men and two Celtic greats getting this horrible illness.

Best wishes to Stan, I sincerely hope he gets through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Been out most of the day, and just came back in and flicked on SSN to see what's been happening.....

Jesus, I really hope this fella fights this and recovers.

Even though they are all unrelated, the situations recently with Petrov, Muamba and Abidal have really got me thinking about my own health and lifestyle recently, and I suppose that is no bad thing....

Always rated Petrov as quite a decent player, and someone who works really hard for his team. Really hope he'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Horrible news! Goes without saying that I hope he makes a full recovery. A very solid player, and iirc he played a stormer against Ireland at the Aviva with Bulgaria.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Horrible news, very likable fella and model pro - hope he wins his fight against it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

This news is a bit of a shock coming straight after Muamba's experience.

Never heard a bad word said about Petrov, hopefully a full recovery can happen, I know little about the disease other than it's very serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Terrible news for Stan. I hope he has a full and speedy recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

THFC wrote:
    Horrible news! Goes without saying that I hope he makes a full recovery. A very solid player, and iirc he played a stormer against Ireland at the Aviva with Bulgaria.

Yeah he bossed the two games against us I think. One of them certainly.

Best of luck to him in fighting this. Horrible news to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Horrible to hear the news of Stan's illness.

An absolutely cracking footballer who has served Bulgaria, Villa and Celtic with distinction.

Fingers crossed you can beat this buddy. YNWA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

Hope he pulls through. Scary when you hear of someone so fit and healthy, but I suppose it can happen anyone.

Don't know much about it, how treatable is it? Is there a high chance of pulling through?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Solid Premier League player.

Hope he wins this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Was one of my favourite players in mons Celtic team. Get well soon stan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I don't know if anyone else has seen someone go through this but it's a horrible, debilitating illness. Difficult to treat too.
    I wish him all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I don't know if anyone else has seen someone go through this but it's a horrible, debilitating illness. Difficult to treat too.
    I wish him all the best.

Yes, its scary to see what it does to people. Stan has a huge battle ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Get well soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just did a quick google for people with Acute Leukaemia, I don't know if this is accurate but if so it's very promising for Stan. It says that 80-90% of adults will have complete remissions after treatment, but the relapse rate is 30-40%. Now obviously that's excellent news, but as alluded to above it says nothing of what he will go through during the course of his treatment. I would imagine his playing days are over with him being 32, but again, this is pure speculation. Get well soon Stan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Shocking news & hoping he pulls through it! Fantastic player in both Scottish & English league...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just read this on twitter. Horrible news. Hope he pulls through and beats the bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Bloody awful news:( Hope he keeps strong and beats this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

He's retiring. Hope he recovers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The only thing I can do, is wishing him all the strength, he needs now.

YNWA, Stan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

His retiring has been denied.

A minutes applause on the 19th minute. Very well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Great seeing him at the match today.
    Good Man STAN.
    Sure he'll pull through

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

JPA wrote: »

Class.

But wtf, an iPad at football ? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Fair play to the villa fans for that, he must be going through the full range of emotions over this. No doubt that Celtic will have something to show support for him also. Lennon, Thompson, Mjallby all played with him so its still very personal despite it being 6-7 years since he played for Celtic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Good luck to Stan, hoping he'll come through this illness that he has.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Class.

But wtf, an iPad at football ? :eek:

?

• Advertisement
Advertisement