Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Airport Extreme Base Station

Options
  • 30-03-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Guys

Just wondering if anyone has or is using the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station, would you recommended it and how do you find them am considering getting a router and I like this :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

martin_g wrote: »
    Guys

Just wondering if anyone has or is using the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station, would you recommended it and how do you find them am considering getting a router and I like this :)

It might help people give you a better response if you said what you intended to use it for? It is just for ordinary wifi stuff or ....?

Apart from its pros and cons as a wireless router I have seen comments in the past that it is overpriced relative to other similarly capable machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

Hi dub45 I am basicly looking for a good router to connect multiple devices to around my home, so I am looking for a good strong router with excellent signal as i live in a two storey house and find my eircom router looses signal badly downstairs as my modem is upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

martin_g wrote: »
    Hi dub45 I am basicly looking for a good router to connect multiple devices to around my home, so I am looking for a good strong router with excellent signal as i live in a two storey house and find my eircom router looses signal badly downstairs as my modem is upstairs.

There is no more powerful router, any with marketing that say they are are simply lying, go faster stripes. Wireless is susceptible to interference from other wireless devices and loses signal through walls and obstacles. Try logging into your existing Netopia and changing channel to see if coverage improves. Maybe it's possible to move the Netopia to a more central location. The Apple Airport is nothing special, it suffers from the same problems all wireless faces and costs twice as much as it should.

An "n" wireless router will improve device to device speeds inside your local network, but will make no difference to your internet speeds or signal coverage. Every single device needs to be "n" compatible or the network will fall back to "g" mode. Therefore upgrading to "n" may be spending money for no gain.

Advertisement