Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Times Fantasy Golf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bobster453

Same as here with Rory
    Eventually went with Speith Furyk Z.Johnson Strellman O'Hair and Billy Horschel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭BOB81

Went with kuchar, spieth, westwood, berger, morgan hoffman & matsuyama - couldn't justify mcilroy. have had the tournament winner in my team for the first three events - not as sure I can pull this off this time as the field is so strong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

McIlroy, Matsuyama, Spieth, Kisner, O'Hair, and Brian Davis.

Rory being at 4m really did limit the options.

As an aside, how do people work out their teams? Is it based on form, intuition, spreadsheets, bookies odds, golf stats, Eckert picks, etc.?

Clauric wrote: »

As an aside, how do people work out their teams? Is it based on form, intuition, spreadsheets, bookies odds, golf stats, Eckert picks, etc.?

So far I've just looked at course form, current form and then a scan of the various fantasy golf picks that the major US golf sites have - don't really look at the bookies odds at all. For the cheaper players its a case of picking anyone who has shown form so far this season - daniel berger and sean o'hair are likely to be regular picks for me in future comps, 1.5mn for the pair of them gives you flexibility elsewhere in the line-up

• Registered Users Posts: 10 charlieoo

i went for j spieth j rose p michelson d clarke g mcdowell and no hoper b baird

charlieoo wrote: »
    i went for j spieth j rose p michelson d clarke g mcdowell and no hoper b baird
    Was Clarke not a withdrawal since Tuesday?

BOB81 wrote: »
    So far I've just looked at course form, current form and then a scan of the various fantasy golf picks that the major US golf sites have - don't really look at the bookies odds at all. For the cheaper players its a case of picking anyone who has shown form so far this season - daniel berger and sean o'hair are likely to be regular picks for me in future comps, 1.5mn for the pair of them gives you flexibility elsewhere in the line-up

Same as here, tho I arent even on the radar in the rankings, maybe the leaders could give us a few pointers, tho if I was them i wouldnt

Had Mitsuyama, then switched for Speith, hope I dont rue that tho early days yet( i hope)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

bobster453 wrote: »
    Same as here, tho I arent even on the radar in the rankings, maybe the leaders could give us a few pointers, tho if I was them i wouldnt

Had Mitsuyama, then switched for Speith, hope I dont rue that tho early days yet( i hope)

I'm top 5 in the boards league (284 overall) so I might be able to blag my way as knowing what I'm doing.

Basically doing the same as ye.... just doing it better :) Getting luckier.

I tend to look at last years leaderboard for any given comp. Golfers tend to be horses for courses. Then I'll see who is currently in form or showing signs of form from that.

The Players is a lottery with it's strong field and tendancy to throw up surprises. I had several different teams picked before settling on this one (which isn't doing great).
    Early days yet, Matsuyama and Hoffman are probably the only two in the top 10 that will be heavily owned.

Rationale for my picks:
    Speith; +3
    Everyone else will have him so he's pretty much a must have.
    Furyk: -2
    Steady performer. Finished second last year after playoff. In form too. He was a banker for me this week.
    Woodland: +7 (bye bye)
    Top 20 here last year and form from last weeks match play
    Westwood +4
    Same as Woodland.
    Hearn -5
    My first round superstar :) picked him because he was cheap and was T6 here last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Just inside the top 50 myself, finished inside the top 50 3 or 4 times over the years (been playing probably 12 years at this stage I think). Number of different factors I use - there used to be a great free site called smartbets golf which gave you each players course form for about 10 years and their current form this year that was very handy but it's $15 a month or so to use now. Would look at expert's picks a small bit.

Mixture of current form and course form (especially for certain courses) helps me decide. There's always one or two players who will be huge value that I'll pick for nearly every event (e.g o'hair at the moment being 0.5m despite his shocker today). I do use the odds to help guide me in making decisions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

Clauric wrote: »

Currently in 4th (boards.ie) on 329 points. I'll mostly do what PARlance does. If I feel I have to pick an expensive player, the next one has to be one of the cheapest available. After that, as has been said, it's horses for courses, mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Only 2 out of my 6 made the cut and only nearly scrapped in so be lucky to get any points for t20 unless they do a bit of magic today and tomorrow

Biggest disappointments are Jason day and Jordan Spieth to miss the cut by 6 and 3 shots respectively even though they are big money players!!!
    Jimmy walker has done very little since his win either :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I'd say most teams are all over the place this week, it's been very unpredictable. I only got three in for the weekend which is the worst I've managed so far. Only consolation is that Spieth missing the cut won't be too much of an issue as almost everyone will have had him. Westwood blew it on Thursday and O'Hair was a complete disaster for me this week.

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Only 2 out of my 6 made the cut and only nearly scrapped in so be lucky to get any points for t20 unless they do a bit of magic today and tomorrow

Biggest disappointments are Jason day and Jordan Spieth to miss the cut by 6 and 3 shots respectively even though they are big money players!!!
    Jimmy walker has done very little since his win either :(

You're not alone there Shauna, plenty of people will be in the same boat. Only 2 left myself but they're doing alright: Hearn T3 and Furyk T13. Still wide open though, 8 shots cover the remainder of the field.

PARlance wrote: »
    You're not alone there Shauna, plenty of people will be in the same boat. Only 2 left myself but they're doing alright: Hearn T3 and Furyk T13. Still wide open though, 8 shots cover the remainder of the field.

Consider myself lucky to have 3 still in..furyk horschel and z johnson.Watch out for poulter and bubba tho..well placed

Justin Thomas done some magic today and flew up leaderboard, hopefully keeps it up tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

I have Kisner, Matsuyama and McIlroy. Looks like my hopes rest with Kisner, although already got points for Matsuyama's first round.

Scores are gonna be quite low this week, not many of the big guns performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭the galway secret

I predict my 2 remaining players to be 1st and 2nd Mcilroy and Hearn

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

Have McIlroy, Bae & Henley. Hoping one of them has a cracking round for some bonus points. Too many ahead of them to get much hopes up otherwise.

Biggest non event ever this week, not many will be scoring too many points. Think there's even a few teams in the top 50 that had 6 MCs!

• Advertisement

David Hearn having a blinder for me.... 6 over after 6, goodnight.

8 over after 7 :L i still got rory and hes still gonna win

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

A handy 146 points this week largely thanks to Garcia and Kisner with honourable mentions to Matsuyama and Horschel. 38th ranked for the week and up to 58th overall, very happy with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Hey guys - has anyone got this weeks password yet?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 keithap76

Hey guys - has anyone got this weeks password yet?

thanks

This week is Congressional

keithap76 wrote: »
    This week is Congressional

Thanks for the password - out of interest where was it in the paper? Had a scan through it this morn but didn't see the code anywhere..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 keithap76

BOB81 wrote: »
    Thanks for the password - out of interest where was it in the paper? Had a scan through it this morn but didn't see the code anywhere..

It was down the bottom left on the golf page in the Irish times

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robbo1203

not in all the editions, some of the early papers did not have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Surely the password is pointless at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Surely the password is pointless at this stage

It is when you're doing as crap as I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Managed 6 points last week. Surely no one that did worse than that?!

Managed 6 points last week. Surely no one that did worse than that?!

Minus 10 for me.... Would have been -12 only my 6th pick didn't participte

36 points and i'd count that as good going on having 4 missing the cut. what happened to hearn in the last round

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

-12 here

Spieth, Rose, Westwood, Mahan, Weekley and O'Hair.

Still think that's a cracking looking line up :(

It is a good line up. Team picked for this week, I'd share but I think ive a good enough team to top the round :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

My team from the previous week were all playing so left it and got 36

Had 12 pts only with matsuyama my only contributor! was 71st but dropped 200 places - got to get the winner in my team this week. Hard to leave out mcilroy i think

Was just looking at my teams. The scores on the players list doesn't seem to have updated, and all the players have 0.

Just wondering if it was me, or does anybody else have the same problem?

alot of thought gone into my picks this week, really feel like i'm on the money, maybe a little too late

will prob regret saying this come sunday evening :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Ormus wrote: »
    -12 here

Spieth, Rose, Westwood, Mahan, Weekley and O'Hair.

Still think that's a cracking looking line up :(

That's literally all the form players this year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

just signed up

Seve OB wrote: »
    just signed up

bit late to the party Seve :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

bit late to the party Seve :p

Yea I know. I always play the one on European tour website. Only did this one to enter the competition to play in Irish open pro am

Furyk Haas Kisner Moore Simpson and Holmes for me this week

bobster453 wrote: »
    Furyk Haas Kisner Moore Simpson and Holmes for me this week

we almost have same team: Holmes, Kisner, Haas, Furyk, Mickelson, J. Thomas

• Advertisement

we almost have same team: Holmes, Kisner, Haas, Furyk, Mickelson, J. Thomas

And me: Holmes, Kisner, Haas, Furyk, Moore & Matsuyama

They should really restrict changes to 2/3/4 per week or change prices of golfers according to form
    Kisner shouldnt still be so low

3 in a row with no McIlroy?! with so few in form expensive players playing I couldn't leave him out.

qwabercd wrote: »
    3 in a row with no McIlroy?! with so few in form expensive players playing I couldn't leave him out.

picking mcilroy leaves u with 6m for 5 players..too hard to pick lads around the 1-1.6m mark that you could almost guarentee will make cut and get points....could be putting all your eggs in one basket with rory!

picking mcilroy leaves u with 6m for 5 players..too hard to pick lads around the 1-1.6m mark that you could almost guarentee will make cut and get points....could be putting all your eggs in one basket with rory!

At least ye picked a team this week :(

McIlroy will guarantee you top20 points. The likes of furyk wont. That means going with one extra cheap player (eg 0.6m over a 2m player). Lot of players at the cheaper end of the scale more than capable of performing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement