Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Times Fantasy Golf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Is anybody creating a mini-league, both for the Irish Times and the Today's golfer competitions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

There's a few errors and inconsistencies in the rules page at the moment. At the beginning they say the competition runs from the Masters to the end of July (presumably the PGA championship). But then, later on, they mention tournaments in October and November as bonus point tournaments. They're probably still working out the finer details.

It would be good if they at least extended it to cover the Olympic Golf competition this year as that's likely to be a highly watched competition, especially from an Irish perspective. It looks like it will just run until the PGA though.

They are using the same layout as the today's Golfer competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Yes, it's up now.

http://fantasygolf.irishtimes.com

Only having five transfers out of 10 players will be tricky, especially the weeks after majors as the ones you'd be likely to pick for majors often take the following week off, leaving you stuck with players that aren't playing.

Yeah, that's a strange rule. It's hard to know what schedule players are on so how will that work if 8 of your masters picks are not playing the following week....

I presume the 10 man team covers a week when there's two events, you don't have 10 for the U.S and 10 from Europe I'd imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Yeah, that's a strange rule. It's hard to know what schedule players are on so how will that work if 8 of your masters picks are not playing the following week....

I presume the 10 man team covers a week when there's two events, you don't have 10 for the U.S and 10 from Europe I'd imagine?

It used to be 7 players for the year, with only 10 transfers for the whole season. And the season lasted a good bit longer back then - ran from Portugal open (which was a few weeks before the Masters) until the Omega masters in September. Was far more enjoyable that way, transfers were very strategic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Clauric wrote: »
    They are using the same layout as the today's Golfer competition.

Does that mean there are no transfer passwords this year or will the IT still put that restriction on their game?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Hi guys,

Just created a boards mini-league.

League name: Boards.ie
    Password: 2955

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I'm in. Not easy to pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Again the layout of players is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cluray

Agree the layout is poor.

Don't know why changed the format so drastically. Hard to know how to approach picking a team!

Am I the only one who likes the look of it!? Admittedly I have not played it before so I only became aware of it half ways through last years comp. It looks well improved since then, the tweaking of the points scoring is better instead of being stacked in favour of the majors, you also have both tours covered every week too which is also good imo, it'll take more time and knowledge this year to do well but should be fun....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 cluray

I have started a thread called:

Irish Times Fantasy Golf Pay Lge

If there is enough interest will look to start up a pay league for anyone interested in a bit of extra fun....check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭mrskinner

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Anyone find any good value picks for Masters?

Very little variance in price between Top 25 players. If anything there is value in top players compared to 2nd tier level.

My value picks at the lower tiers.

Ryan Moore 9.5
    KJ Choi 7.5
    Ernie Els 5.5
    Vijay Singh 5.0
    Angel Cabrera 5.0

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Anyone find any good value picks for Masters?

Very little variance in price between Top 25 players. If anything there is value in top players compared to 2nd tier level.

My value picks at the lower tiers.

Ryan Moore 9.5
    KJ Choi 7.5
    Ernie Els 5.5
    Vijay Singh 5.0
    Angel Cabrera 5.0

I don't think KJ Choi is playing unfortunately cause he is good value.

Graeme McDowell is decent value at 8.5 and Davis Love III and Jim Herman who qualified after winning the Houston Open last night are 6.0. Not many other cheap players playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fluff_daddy

how the hell do ya pick players? you hardly have to scroll through 26 pages to find?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It's actually a painful process to try and pick a team

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jimmers

Not sure if it helps but I have set out the number of players at each price point - might help for budgeting purposes - 321 players in total

15.0 5
    14.5 5
    14.0 5
    13.5 5
    13.0 5
    12.5 5
    12.0 5
    11.5 5
    11.0 5
    10.5 5
    10.0 5
    9.5 5
    9.0 5
    8.5 10
    8.0 10
    7.5 19
    7.0 36
    6.5 30
    6.0 30
    5.5 64
    5.0 57

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭paintitblack

Overall the layout is better but the process of picking the team is painful. Surely they could have made it easier to view the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

Hi guys,

Good luck!

joined the lge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Seve OB wrote: »
    It's actually a painful process to try and pick a team

It was a fooking pain. I've created an excel file of the players and separated the players based on their surnames. Hopefully it's of use to someone

Tab 1 = Alphabetical order
    Tab 2 = Value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭paintitblack

I've created an excel file of the players and separated the players based on their surnames. Hopefully it's of use to someone

Tab 2 = Value[/quote]

Thats the business...good work!

Whats good about the fantasy race to dubai is the ability to highlight players only in the field of the upcoming tournament.
    Dont thjnk you can do that here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hi guys,

Good luck!

Joined this, awaiting admin acceptance now

Layout on mobile seemed of, but will look over it on laptop tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

Hi

I've created a blog which I'll update each week about my picks - includes a link to a spreadsheet which has all the players, IT prices and paddy power odds.

If your interested, have a look and let me know what ye think? Not professing to be an expert, just my picks and strategy. I've 2 posts up so far.

https://itfantasygolf.wordpress.com

Direct link to spreadsheet here for those who don't want to read the blog :(

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OdUT20wncCv-BZpu_YWvX4utgJroYNSpbCy66E0dBfY/edit?usp=sharing

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Mushy wrote: »
    Joined this, awaiting admin acceptance now

Layout on mobile seemed of, but will look over it on laptop tomorrow!

I set up on the mobile and I thought it was fine. Maybe it's just the desktop site?

It was a fooking pain. I've created an excel file of the players and separated the players based on their surnames. Hopefully it's of use to someone

Tab 2 = Value

Very handy, nice one.

Barnaboy wrote: »
    I set up on the mobile and I thought it was fine. Maybe it's just the desktop site?

Looking on desktop site, it'd be very annoying.

For those looking it up on mobile, when you go to transfer a player (I did lucky dip then changed nearly everybody on team), it only shows players you can afford when transferring them. It also pops up over the page, so it seems a lot easier.

Just looking at the rules - there are 5 free transfers each week but there is also a bonus transfer which can be activated using a unique code which will appear in the Tues/Wed edition of the Irish Times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭BOB81

Just joined, thanks for setting it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭karlyk1

BOB81 wrote: »
    Just joined, thanks for setting it up

Are you supposed to get a confirmation email? My team is all there when I log in, but not sure if I saw any 'submit' button.... Terribly awkward set-up this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Is it just me or does smylie Kaufman appear at 6 million and 9 million

I think it's just you!

I think it's just you! he's 9m

Poor Ernie Els - a 10 at the first! More or less ensures he will miss the cut after only playing one hole - he was reasonable value too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

jimmers wrote: »
    Poor Ernie Els - a 10 at the first! More or less ensures he will miss the cut after only playing one hole - he was reasonable value too.

ya, put him in at the last min.oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I noticed that also

I have Bryson !

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I have Bryson !

How much was he? I would have picked him, but never thought he would be an option as he is amateur

6 mil I think

• Advertisement

How are peoples teams faring this week? Had 6 players playing, only one missed the cut. Surprised at Phil! 2 of my players in Top 10 before 3rd round, Cabrera Bello making a move too.

EDIT: Bello get a triple then a bogey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I had 9 of 10 making the cut. Donald was the other and he isn't playing. My mistake. Hope Smylie wins with Day second....

I had 9 of 10 making the cut. Donald was the other and he isn't playing. My mistake. Hope Smylie wins with Day second....

Well done! I have 7 out of 10 making the cut and Spieth captain. I had Luke in my original team also and then realised that there were only 89 in the field so checked to see if all my team were in it. One of the changes was bringing in Ernie Els!

Big problem now is maximising the number of players for the 2 tournaments coming up this week. With only 5 plus a bonus transfer it might be the case that many of us will be going with less than a full team.

Well done! I have 7 out of 10 making the cut and Spieth captain. I had Luke in my original team also and then realised that there were only 89 in the field so checked to see if all my team were in it. One of the changes was bringing in Ernie Els!

Big problem now is maximising the number of players for the 2 tournaments coming up this week. With only 5 plus a bonus transfer it might be the case that many of us will be going with less than a full team.

Yes, not sure how it will pan out next week with non playing players, transfer strategy will be important particularly following big scoring events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭finglashoop

It was bad enough checking entries for one tournament last year.

Dont see why the list of players doesnt show whose actually playing

It was bad enough checking entries for one tournament last year.

Dont see why the list of players doesnt show whose actually playing

Last year before each tournament they did have a list of the players who were competing available on the site on the previous Sunday/Monday night - if they don't have that this year it would be ridiculous. No mention of it in the Help section or the Rules but we shall see tomorrow.

Hope you bought at least one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eclipse00

Just checked points this morning...anyone else notice that it's wrong. Eg Willet should be 400 + 5= 405 + 202.5 (bonus week) = 607.5
    If he's capt his points should be 1215 not 3214.
    Not just Willet but other scoring players too

eclipse00 wrote: »
    Just checked points this morning...anyone else notice that it's wrong. Eg Willet should be 400 + 5= 405 + 202.5 (bonus week) = 607.5
    If he's capt his points should be 1215 not 3214.
    Not just Willet but other scoring players too

Thought that. Anyone confirm this?

• Advertisement

Looks like it has been tweaked but it's still wrong... The no.1 ranked team has Willett (c) and they're giving him 2214 pts. Talk about teething problems, deary me.

Advertisement