Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XMP Pressure Switch not working

• 30-03-2012 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

I turned off the power to the pump that pulls water from a well at the back of my house... (to fix a leaky tap).. when I turned it back on, it stayed on for a while and then stopped.. I've been trying to find out what is wrong, and it seems that the circuit seems to break down at the pressure switch, which is the first item in the circuit.

I can find the spec for the pressure switch, but no manual or anything else that might help..

XMP_A06B2131.jpg

The switch is marked as Telemecanique XMP A06B2131. Can anybody point me to where I might be able to find out more about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Did you try removing the pressure switch to check for dirt it doesn't take much to block them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hi Sullzz, thanks for the response..

I havent opened it up, I was thinking that it was something electrical. It's wired up:

Mains --> Pressure Switch ---> rocker switch--> Pump

And when I turn on the mains, no power is getting across the XMP switch.. It seems like the circuit is being broken across the switch. Would dirt cause it to shut down the circuit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

It could be a dirt problem , you should screw the pressure switch off the pump and check the connection for dirt there is usually only a tiny hole which can sometimes get blocked preventing the pump from working , when you say the pump was running for a while after switching it back on were you getting water or was it dry running . Why don't you just replace it for a square d pressure switch

sullzz wrote: »
    It could be a dirt problem , you should screw the pressure switch off the pump and check the connection for dirt there is usually only a tiny hole which can sometimes get blocked preventing the pump from working ,

I will try this..
    when you say the pump was running for a while after switching it back on were you getting water or was it dry running .

I'm not sure.. it was as simple as this.. system was fully working.. Plugged out the pump and pressure switch to stop the water.. fixed the leaky tap.. plugged the pump and switch back in... system starts working for literally 5 seconds then all power seems to stop... (LED in the circuit goes off and wont come back on again) .. hasnt come on since.. I thought maybe water had got in to the outside system so I rewired a new connection box, but still no go..

Why don't you just replace it for a square d pressure switch

I have to work with what's there for the moment..

I screwed off the switch and water started to flow out. So I assume it's not blocked then...

• Advertisement

okay, I drained all the water that was still in the system and I took off the switch altogether.. Is there any way that I can test it independently?

Or could I hook up the pump straight to the mains, to see if it works without the switch in the circuit?

Okay cleaned the pressure switch, and the contacts.. put it back in place.. Set it running and it worked for a few seconds before stopping again.. It seems that when it reaches it's cutoff pressure, it just shuts down altogether and I have to open the switch and manually reset it.

I've read that these switches are prone to failure so I'm gonna try buying a new one tomorrow and hopefully that works.

Advertisement