Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can babys get shingles

Options
  • 30-03-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

a10 month old has a band of red across its upper body, similar in size to a 6 inch belt, it is compleatly red with blisters of various sozes ranging from the size of a cent down, thanks in advance for taking the time to read this thread and reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I'm not a parent but I know it's possible, as a toddler my little sister got shingles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Go to your gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Go to your gp.

i only asked could a child get get shingles, your answer is not my decision to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Isn't shingles the adult version of chicken pox?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Acoshla wrote: »
    Isn't shingles the adult version of chicken pox?

you are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Shingles is a reactivation of the chicken pox which you have to have had first. It often happens when someones immune system is weak, e.g. recovering from an operation. It is usually just along one or two dermatones which gives it the characteristic band of rashes. Adults can get chicken pox if they have never had it before or even if they have and they haven't developed immunity from their exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Not necessarily the adult version!

Once you have had chicken pox the virus lies dormant in the nerves around the trunk. If for whatever reason the virus becomes 'activated' it will present as a rash, usually in band formations on the body.

It is not a live virus.

I got shingles a day or 2 after giving birth to my daughter. I didn't see my doctor until my daughter was 8 days old. I had been doing alot of skin to skin whilst breastfeeding her and was worried that she would get the virus but she was fine. She actually may never get chicken pox as I would have passed on immunity from breastfeeding whilst having shingles.

As far as I understand, its unlikely for anyone to develop shingles without either having had chicken pox, or being exposed to chicken pox and developing immunity without developing symptoms

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Please go talk to a doctor. Medical advice can not be given out here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement