Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 - Regional unlock

• 30-03-2012 3:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Some of you may have seen my thread about my dealings with Three. Anyway I ended up getting a new iPhone from Apple and I thought it was Sim-Free and unlocked until today that is!

I tested the phone back in December with a Meteor sim-card and it worked convincing me it was totally unlocked especially with it coming from Apple and not Three.

I am currently in Malaysia and travelling through S.E.A for the next month and didn't want to rack up huge roaming bills so today went and purchased a local Malaysian Maxis Sim-Card and I am getting the sim-invalid message. I spent like €7 skyping both Three and Apple to see what the story is and Apple says it is unlocked only to back it up and reset it. Three said the same but being the cretins they are also said it is regionally unlocked to only European carriers.

I only have my netbook which is not the iPhone's home pc and don't want to reset it as I know it will wipe everything off the phone leaving me critically without my music, I could restore everything else just not the music as I have wifi in my hotel and today upgraded the phone to the latest version of iOS using the phones own updater and now for some reason the phone won't connect to the Hotel wifi at all.

I really want to get the phone working and this is a real pain!

any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If the unlock profile is set to EU carriers only, a restore using an unsupported SIM won't do anything for you. Your only options would be to get back onto Three or Apple and ask them for the full, non-restricted unlock or jailbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

News to me, so a phone that in unlocked might not be unlocked to any carrier worldwide?

Its an option available to the carriers, but again the carriers have to request it at the time they are processing the customer's unlock for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Its an option available to the carriers, but again the carriers have to request it at the time they are processing the customer's unlock for them.

I never requested an unlock rather the phone came direct from Apple and I assumed it was unlocked and when I tested it with a Meteor sim it worked and I have tested it with Meteor and am using it normally with Three. I was almost 100% sure until today as I always thought unlocked meant unlocked and never heard of European, American unlocking etc. until today.

Ah, now thats a different story. Phones shipped from the Apple Online Store should be completely non-restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Ah, now thats a different story. Phones shipped from the Apple Online Store should be completely non-restricted.

It sounds like the OP got a replacement iPhone from Apple that replaced a 3 Ireland handset.

In this case the iPhone will revert to the simlock status of the unit that was returned to Apple.

Apples simlock status for all iPhones in existence is stored on their servers. When an iPhone is purchased or powered on for the first time it will be unlocked but the first chance it gets to communicate with Apple it will transmit its IMEI while waiting for activation and when activated it will either lock itself to the network it's supposed to be or remain unlocked.

This is how Apple can have one common stock of iPhones in their stores as they only get sim locked when the customer pays for them.

Phones sent as replacements should inherit the unlock settings of the original phone.

I am currently in Thailand now and today I backed up and reset the phone and tried with the Malaysian sim and a different Thai one and it is locked, I don't have a non-Three Irish sim to test it with but it is totally locked for an Asian sims anyway.

I'll have to buy a cheap mobile here now for to use, I swear to god Three are a total disease of a company to ever have dealings with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnnys107

I'm having similar problems with three now. I feel your pain. Can't wait to get away from them and would recommend everyone to stay away from them.

Three eventually unlocked it for me a few days after making that post back in April.

• Advertisement
Advertisement