Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a DVR to be connected remotely via a 3G connection

Options
  • 30-03-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Currently have a DVR set up on my LAN using a 192.168.1.119 address. Works intended locally however I am having trouble around assigning a unique address to it that it can be connected outside of my network.

Im half presuming that to connect to it outside of my network I need to enter my Routers IP address and then the port that it is associated with the DVR?

The DVR in question is a qvis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

What kind of router you have that does 3G !?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

You will need your router's IP address. The trouble is this keeps changing so you will need a Static Ip from your ISP (costs I think) or get a DNS address ( also costs money).

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

You can get free dns address off the internet. Allows 5 addresses associated to an e mail account. You need to set it up on your dvr or on your router depending on what type they are. Some dvr's have there own dns inputs as others u have to do it on the router. Forward the associated ports and off u go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

As far as i can guesss...a 3G connection is a mobile connection !!
    Most of the mobile phone companies that offer 3G connection are going through a proxy server !??
    So,the internal side of the 3G network,the client, has an non-routable dynamic IP address.

I guess (but i can be wrong at same time) that you cannot modify the dynamic allocated IP address by let's say O2 and at the same time modify the proxy server to open the ports for DVR !

Related to DynDNS ,yes,they are correct but pointless as NAT policy on incoming port(s) will never be opened in the proxy !

Regards.

Advertisement