Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meditation

Options
  • 30-03-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

http://www.open-your-heart.org.uk/open_heart_meditation.do This will genuinely help you to grow spiritually.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Aquila wrote: »
    What books/website would you recommend to help and/or enhance ones meditation experience?

Hello

I bought a fantastic book not too long ago called "Yoga Nidra: a meditative practice for relaxation and healing" by a guy called Richard Miller. I have to say that I have been doing the practice (it comes with a cd for guidance) and it honestly has had a profound effect on me. It has brought me much much deeper into my practice and there has been an incredible shift in many areas in my life - very subconsciously indeed. Don't let the name of the book misguide you, it really has nothing to do with the practice of yoga asanas or anything apart from the relaxation and meditative practices involved.

Also i you have iTunes, search on there for yoga nidra and you will hopefully find some free guided yoga nidra sessions in the iTunes U section, something iworkouts, called UCLA recreation - deep relaxation and guided meditations. They're also very good. All based on the same principle and very very effective in my opinion.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of any help. Hope this has been some use to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

This book will blow away a lot of cobwebs and is well worth the read for everyone willing to move on from their old stuff and open up to a truly gentle journey of the Spiritual Heart http://www.wayofthespiritualheart.com/excerpts/40-chapter-1

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

www.getsomeheadspace.com or add headspace on the go to your smart phone

i find it very good

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭angelman121

You'll get meditations here and books for free ! I'm not biased or anything ! http://www.paulwilliams.ie and I'v no shame either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 AngelLight

This is a subject that has always been of great interest to me as I am on my own spiritual journey too and meditation is such a vital key in our development, so it's nice to know others are looking for interesting books, c.d's and music. I've done a lot of this lady's work http://www.heidisawyer.com/shop/ and find it very interesting and the meditations are deep too with hemi sync backround music. Think I must go through my spiritual library and see what book titles I could add here for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 finbazorange

Tara Kadampa Buddhist Centre www.meditateinireland.com in Dublin is a great place to find lots of books, cd's, classes, teachings etc. Their books & CD's can also be bought online at www.tharpa.com Here you'll also find a free eBook called Modern Buddhism by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, a renowned meditation master and scholar.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

Tara Kadampa Buddhist Centre www.meditateinireland.com in Dublin is a great place to find lots of books, cd's, classes, teachings etc. Their books & CD's can also be bought online at www.tharpa.com Here you'll also find a free eBook called Modern Buddhism by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, a renowned meditation master and scholar.

Old thread, but in case anyone stumbles across it, I'd be very wary of that organisation.

See:
    http://www.newkadampatruths.org/

and

https://www.facebook.com/groups/exposingthenkt

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Just close your eyes...and breathe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

munkee wrote: »
    Old thread, but in case anyone stumbles across it, I'd be very wary of that organisation.

Just wondering why you'd be wary of that organisation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

Just close your eyes...and breathe :)

Most people spend 6-8 hours each day doing both those things at the same time. I don't that is meditation.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

Asarlai wrote: »
    Most people spend 6-8 hours each day doing both those things at the same time. I don't that is meditation.

It is simply this....

The Mindfulness of Breathing

• As its name implies, the ‘Mindfulness of Breathing’ uses the breath as an object of concentration. By focusing on the breath you become aware of the mind’s tendency to jump from one thing to another. The simple discipline of concentration brings us back to the present moment and all the richness of experience that it contains. It is a way to develop mindfulness, the faculty of alert and sensitive awareness. And it is an excellent method for cultivating the states of intense meditative absorption known as dhyana. As well as this, the mindfulness of breathing is a good antidote to restlessness and anxiety, and a good way to relax: concentration on the breath has a positive effect on your entire physical and mental state.
      The meditation has four progressive stages leading to a highly enjoyable level of concentration. To start with five minutes per stage is a good period of practice.
    • In the first stage you use counting to stay focused on the breath. After the out-breath you count one, then you breathe in and out and count two, and so on up to ten, and then you start again at one.
    • In the second stage you subtly shift where you breathe, counting before the in-breath, anticipating the breath that is coming, but still counting from one to ten, and then starting again at one.
    • In the third stage you drop the counting and just watch the breath as it comes in and goes out.
    • In the final stage the focus of concentration narrows and sharpens, so you pay attention to the subtle sensation on the tip of the nose where the breath first enters and last leaves the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

Just wondering why you'd be wary of that organisation?

Lots of accusations of cult-like behaviour. The links I posted above explain plenty.
    Their leader broke away from mainstream Tibetan Buddhism to form his own lineage. The practitioners are encouraged to read only his texts. Plenty of ex-members have come out and reported the cult-like aspects of the organisation.

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

munkee wrote: »
    Lots of accusations of cult-like behaviour. The links I posted above explain plenty.
    Their leader broke away from mainstream Tibetan Buddhism to form his own lineage. The practitioners are encouraged to read only his texts. Plenty of ex-members have come out and reported the cult-like aspects of the organisation.

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

How true this is.

Advertisement