Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scumbag Attacked a Bus Driver on 122 I was on...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

benway wrote: »
    It goes like this - girls with hoops and makeup listening to sh!te music on their phones, or young lads in adidas trackie bottoms, nikes, baseball caps, dutch gold, yokes, etc., seems to be what most people view as "scumbags".

It's more about the behaviour, really. People who try to live honestly just don't like seeing others act the maggot. Especially when honest people are being taxed to pay those engaged in bad behaviour.

Snobbery has little to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Note - I've made an assumption regarding the clothing and accent of the scumbag. Perhaps the OP could clarify?

Didn't see him but, going on previous experiences on the bus/red luas line, I'd say the odds are stacked in that favour alright.

Completely agree with the rest o your post btw. Just snipped it to avoid the long quoting...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Didn't see him but, going on previous experiences on the bus/red luas line, I'd say the odds are stacked in that favour alright.

Completely agree with the rest o your post btw. Just snipped it to avoid the long quoting...

No worries. I think we all knew what you meant when you used the term "Scumbag". If you live in dublin, it's obvious.

I made that post because some people either don't want to think that these people can be so easily categorised or they just don't know what you meant. Some people also just don't like that term.

I think it's a useful one because in one word, you captured an idea that took me around 200 words to describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Helix wrote: »
    scumbags are not people who look a certain way. when people use the word, and you immediately assume that they're talking about working class people from rough areas, that's your issue, not theirs

You know, I was nearly doubting myself, but ...
    "Scumbag" is a term used in dublin to describe someone with poor education, no ambition, a tendency for anti-social behaviour, a predisposition for petty and serious crime and is a nett drain on society.... They normally live in Corporation housing but they can also be found living in estates, etc.

... there, I told you I wasn't crazy.

Seriously, this scumbag/skanger stuff is way out of control on this site, and probably in the country in general, seems to have gotten much, much worse since the economy committed seppuku.

I fúcking detest that term, as you might have gathered. I suppose I might see things differently because I'm a transplanted bogger, and I didn't ever use it growing up ... but it seems to me that snobbery has everything to do with it. I really can't see much real badness in a lot of the young lads from corpo houses near me, seems that the label is applied to all of them rather than just the serious criminal element. If I thought it only applied to criminals, I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it.

In all honesty, I've seen a similar level of anti-social behaviour from the C'mon Leinster! crowd when they get going.
    To be a person you have to have certain qualities, compassion, forgiveness, etc. These people are just animals.

Nice. Way to cast doubt on your own personhood there, chief.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

benway wrote: »
    AH "Scumbag" Bashing Thread™ #12877.

Let's get ready to rumble.

Seriously though, what do you mean by scumbags?
    Shoulder insert chip maybe?

Of course scumbags are across the board within society. If some rugger bugger is acting like a scumbag, he is by definition a scumbag. For me it is or should be "classless". Some people regardless of background are just wastes of oxygen. Then again I don't automatically hold all human life as somehow sacred. There's a good percentage we could well do without and TBH I'd be happy to pull the trigger or lever to send them to eternity. Again regardless of "class" or background. Like you say scum are everywhere. I judge them on their actions, not accents, clothes or background.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

People who attack bus drivers for no reason are scumbags. Cant believe some people are having difficulty getting this?

Speaking of scumbags here's the higher end of the scale.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0330/20-year-old-gets-life-for-polish-mans-murder.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

"Scumbag" is a term used in dublin to describe someone with poor education, no ambition, a tendency for anti-social behaviour, a predisposition for petty and serious crime and is a nett drain on society.

all but bold bits are horribly wrong

nothing outside the bold bits describes a scumbag at all. a scumbag is only a scumbag if they act like a scumbag. there are far more decent people with poor educations and no ambition than there are scumbags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

how now brown cow, gawd dam dubs, we've real problems down here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

If I was on that bus, I'd have shot the scumbags with my Magnum .44.

Then I'd have shot everyone else on the bus, just to make sure. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement