Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Marine Tank

• 30-03-2012 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Im looking to organise a small marine tank c80 litres as a starter to marine. I have 190L Tropical tank but I do not know that much about marine. Could someone please recommend something that wouldnt be too expensive to get one off the ground.

Cheers
    R

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hi Riamfada,

I don't keep marines myself but Seahorse Aquariums do a stater kit HERE. Seems like a great deal and exactly what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I just got a little (already established) Fluval Edge tank (Only 26l!) which is a nano tank with marine fish/live rocks/snails etc... in Seahorse today. They're clearing out their display room to do a new display room, so there's a few great setups there going for amazing prices. Think I saw one of those 'starter kit' tanks that fred funk posted in there too, if you can, get over there tomorrow, because those are gonna go fast!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I just got a little (already established) Fluval Edge tank (Only 26l!) which is a nano tank with marine fish/live rocks/snails etc... in Seahorse today. They're clearing out their display room to do a new display room, so there's a few great setups there going for amazing prices. Think I saw one of those 'starter kit' tanks that fred funk posted in there too, if you can, get over there tomorrow, because those are gonna go fast!

Nooooooo I've had my eye on that for weeks, was heading up there first thing tomorrow for it, thought it only started tomorrow! Noooo, heartbroken!

It's 23l, by the way :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Live rock,soft corals and some clownfish too.Very easy to keep as a beginner

2 small clownfish would be the max amount for that size tank (80 litres),some soft coral,and maybe a shrimp or 2 aswell.But thats about it really.

Im just starting out on my 2nd tank.1st tank is a 500 litre Discuss tank and this new tank will be a 380 litre marine tank/sump system.Seahorse Aquariams are helping me out big time on this.

Keelan is the main man in Seahorse,and reallly knows his stuff.Hes a marine biologist too.He will give you the best advice on starting a marine tank.

Silverfish wrote: »
    Nooooooo I've had my eye on that for weeks, was heading up there first thing tomorrow for it, thought it only started tomorrow! Noooo, heartbroken!

It's 23l, by the way :)

Ah, now I feel bad! :(
    Been sat here half the evening just watching it... loving watching them though! :) As I'm a total beginner I had the guy tortured with questions!

It would have been gone by the morning anyway, was a guy wanted to buy it while they were getting ready to start taking the stuff out for me, and another called about it while I was at the till!

• Advertisement

Aw boo, I only saw it on FB at about 20 past 6, and assumed they closed at 6 - was actually going to drop in on my way home from work at 3.30! Oh well, you snooze you lose. Mr Silverfish is delighted though, he says 5 tanks is enough.

Never be afraid to plague them with questions, the more you know, the better you can keep everything in the tank healthy.

Riamfada, you should head into Seahorse and have a chat there, they'll advise you on the best course of action for a starter tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for the advice. I did get a call last night from buzz about Seahorse's sale. My girlfriend very kindly went up there this morning and got the last marine tank going.

A bit bigger than I was hoping for but a full marine 100L set up that price I couldnt say no. There were a few people there at 9:30 looking to buy it .

Very happy and a little shell shocked. :D:D:eek::D:D

Will take this project very slow and get it very right.

IMAG0004-1.jpg

Pic of my tank from the shop. Not 100% happy with my own rock arrangement yet, so will hold off on pics till then! :D
    198406.jpg

Have you seen the little starfish in there yet. It was that little guy that made me want the tank so badly in the first place!

Have you seen the little starfish in there yet. It was that little guy that made me want the tank so badly in the first place!
    Yeah, he stuck to the top right most of yesterday, then decided to cross the top last night. He got 3/4 of the way across, then turned back! As of this afternoon, he's in the top right back corner hanging out with the magnetic cleaner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i have one in my marine tank and he/she had a couple of babies on his own a month or so back.

here's one of them in a pic i took a few days ago. :)

13328007935150.jpg

i'm hopefully optimistic that his short legs on one side are going to grow out soon enough, but his sibling is the same, so i guess it's something to do with the asexual reproduction thing. :)

Advertisement