Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relics of War - for C&C

• 30-03-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Any comments would be most welcome

7026409595_23a7061b16_c.jpg

6880311032_175d1ba4eb_c.jpg

6880310828_fb1edff552_c.jpg

7026409785_77fe3d7111_c.jpg

6880309966_d8c52e983c_c.jpg

6883679786_15d948fe3e_c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Dual hobbies of History and Photography satisfied. I especially like no. 03 & 04.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Great selection of pics and a great subject.

As for C&C, well here goes;

No.1 Too much dramatic sky and not enough plane. What was the photo of? The sky or the plane? I think a pano crop would improve the shot by including all the wings and less of the foreground and sky. Exposure is spot on and the feeling of being up close is accentuated by the use of a wide angle lens.

No.2 That works well. The B&W conversion is good with plenty of black and highlights. That black bar coming in from the right is very distracting but there was probably not a lot you could do with it. I like the use of the wide angle to exaggerate the gun barrel.

No.3 Love the angle on this shot. It feels like the tank is about to drive over you. Even without being able to see all of the subject, you just know this is a big mean machine.

No.4 Difficult to fault your shot given the tight constraints of the area. Again your exposure is spot on, as is your composition. Even though the blade is cut off in the shot, I think it still works here. You feel like you are really up close and personal to the chopper.

No. 5 Big gun - Love it! :)

No. 6 Gritty black & white Air Force. Could have been taken anywhere during any conflict.

Great set and really like the use of the wide angle lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

I think (1) is my favorite (A1 skyraider right?) though the top left of the sky is a little too dark and could do with a little dodging to brighten it up. Other than that its really good and looks so raw yet sharp, is it a HDR image?

(2) The M48 Patton looks brilliant and the black and white really suits it.

(3) The tracks have a nice sharp and gritty look, I also like the angle and framing and impact it makes.

(4) The U1 Huey really stands out, I like how its a little under saturated because it makes it look more gritty and realistic. The yellow markings on the front came out really nice too.

(5) The M134 minigun looks really good and I can't really see anything wrong about the image, you almost can't tell if it was taken today or way back when.

(6) Six is really great, the only thing that takes away from it in any way would be the no climbing sign. All in all they are some great shots with expert use of the lens especially 1. which I'll be favoriting on flickr. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Many thanks for the feedback - especially the very detailed and extremely useful feedback from lisatiffany and pullandbang.

The reason I took Image 1 was that I spotted the sun breaking through the clouds and I thought it was a great contrast against the dark/bleakness of the airplane and its historical associations with pain and suffering. The dynamic range was large so I used a grad filter, however between that and the post processing I think I over-cook the dramatic-ness of the sky - so point well taken pullandbang.

In this war museum there was extremely tight space around each exhibit (and exhibits overlapped such as in image 2) and large information signs beside/in-front of each exhibit. Extremely interesting information, but quite prone to ruining a photo though! I cropped out a large sign in front of the plan in image 1.

Advertisement