Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Einstein Proved right about Universe

Options
  • 30-03-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/einstein-proved-over-universe-095658382.html
    "Albert Einstein has been proved correct in his view of how the universe is expanding, according to a new scientific study.
    The new test of Einstein's view of the universe has proved him right with "incredible accuracy" and is helping scientists to understand the mysterious acceleration of the universe.
    A team of cosmologists have announced at the National Astronomy Meeting being held at the University of Manchester, the most accurate measurement ever made from when the expansion of the universe began to accelerate.
    It means that the phenomenon can be explained using just Einstein's general theory of relativity and the cosmological constant - the simplest theoretical explanation for the acceleration of the universe.
    The results will be used to..................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am not a mathematician so the things they come up with are really beyond me in many ways.

My view of the expansion of the universe is therefore very simplistic. It works for me though.

Imagine a pool table with three pool balls on it in triangle formation. This is the universe. Place a fourth ball on the top. It (by it's weight) forces the other three apart and settles in between, this allows for a fifth, sixth and seventh ball to sit atop the now bigger universe. They in turn force themselves in and make the universe bigger allowing yet more balls on. The more balls that get "in" the more that can be fitted in. The "universe" expands faster and faster.

Replace the two dimensional view with a three dimensional view and replace the balls with dark energy.

Another possible view. Ever moved a heavy wheeled object by hand? You can't move it at first, but you push a bit, and get it to rock ad another little push on the "rocking stroke" and it moves a little. Keep doing this and suddenly it moves. you just keep adding a little push and the speed picks up. Voila, acceleration. Dark energy may have a comparatively small force but it keeps building and keeps pushing.

Both these ideas show that I think Dark Energy comes from outside the universe. I have no idea if this is true or not frankly, but to me it sort of makes sense in a none mathematical and simplistic way. I may be wrong, but such ideas help me to get things straight in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Give me the egg shell theory.

Standard 4 dimensional hypersphere. However, there are an infinite amount of layers for every moment in time. These 3 dimensional layers are all seperated from each other by plancks length.

In this theory, there is an infinite number of big bangs giving birth to new 3 dimensional "moments in time". Each new big bang which gives rise to a new "moment in time" shell pushes the other one's "in the future" outwards, causing the universe to expanding through the 4th dimension (time).

Advertisement