Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 minutes peace to 3 hour LSR???

Options
  • 30-03-2012 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

After some peer pressure from the lovely ladies Boards AC I'm starting a training log!

I started running last May to get 5 minutes peace from my hectic family life (I'm a mother to 4 kids, a carer to 2 of them, a wife & now a runner) 5 months later I found myself lining up to do the Dublin City Marathon hence my log title.

So far I have only run 3 races, a 5k, race series half marathon and marathon. This year I'm hoping to complete a lot more! I've signed up for the 5 k with Ray, it was suppose to be a bit of craic with my hubbie & mam but my hubbie was knocked down off his motorbike and my mam broke her foot, both last week-disasters. Both are fine and well on the way to recovery:)

Great Ireland Run & Samsung Night Run are next and goal races that I've been training for. I would love to go sub 50 for 10k so fingers crossed.

So to logging my first run...

5.5miles @ 9:13 pace

I struggled through this run, just finishing off antibiotic for rotten ear infection so legs felt really heavy but great to be back after a week off :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Welcome to training logs:)
    And best of luck with all your upcoming races.

No offence but I don't think I could agree to signing up for a race with you; motorbike accident and broken foot! I hope they're on the mend now:)

Happy training

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Thanks Martha!

Maybe my competitive streak took over and I jinxed them..... I'll sign up on my own from now on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Glad to see you got the log started, good luck with it and your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Wayyyy heyyyy hello there. Best of luck missus. Hope you are feeling better. Will be keeping a close eye on you now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Nice one cutex. Best of luck with the log and the training.

• Advertisement

DigiJem wrote: »
    Glad to see you got the log started, good luck with it and your training.

Thanks DijiJem, really need to ramp up the training, feels like I had a month off instead of a week!

Nules10 wrote: »
    Wayyyy heyyyy hello there. Best of luck missus. Hope you are feeling better. Will be keeping a close eye on you now ;)

Thanks Nules, hope your hip starts improving soon, I'm looking forward to a LSR in the park with you! In the meantime work on that hard muscle of yours.....;)

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Nice one cutex. Best of luck with the log and the training.

Thanks Bob, hopefully my injury & illness worries have been gotten out of the way early and I can start getting some proper miles in:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So we all finally bullied you into starting a log.... ;)
    Best of luck with your training, races etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Best of luck with the log. Good stuff Cutex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Yay, good woman, you started the log. Onwards and upwards :)
    (Saw your Russell Crowe retweet - sooo jealous ;))

jcsmum wrote: »
    So we all finally bullied you into starting a log.... ;)
    Best of luck with your training, races etc

Thanks for your good wishes & gentle nudge in this direction;)

What mad run have you got planned for this week? When does taper madness start?

Best of luck with the log. Good stuff Cutex

Thanks Dave, hope this will motivate me more when it comes to harder sessions like hills & interval!

Great running this week, 6:xx min mile here you come:cool:

racheljev wrote: »
    Yay, good woman, you started the log. Onwards and upwards :)
    (Saw your Russell Crowe retweet - sooo jealous ;))

Peer pressure is a great thing!

I'll be dining out on that for years-Maximius Decimus Meridius (spelling:confused:) tweeted me-swooooooon.

3 weeks to NKOTB, will try & get a Jon autograph for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Who bullied you into starting a log - shocking behaviour :D. Nice log title ;)

Best of luck with the log and goals and I'll catch up with you in the park soon - although as Martha says I'm slightly scared now!!

Thanks Shaz! You're actually running Conn as I type this :D

No need to be frightened in training runs just don't sign up for any races with me;)

Now to get out for a run as thats what this log is suppose to be about!

I got out yesterday for a 7 mile run. As I'm doing two 10k in the near future I decided to break the run up and do the last 5 k a bit quicker. I did the first two k's in 10 mins the 3rd & 4th in 9mins and the last in 4 mins(all approx). Really enjoyed the run both the slower and faster bits. Bring on my races :D

7.2 mile run @ 8:15:D
    First 4.1 miles @ 9:10
    Second 3.125 Miles @ 7:20 :eek:

What a lovely day for a run! I went out for an hour run with my brother today, we were hit with rain, hailstones, snow & a biting wind but I actually really enjoyed it :confused: the challenge was great.

I wanted to do 3 Kms at 10k pace as a tempo run. I know we're not suppose to talk about km but just for the purposes of this training I'm afraid it had to be done. Besides my brother is a km man and I have to bow to his superior knowledge:D

Anyway I did convert the times when i got back so we did 6:75 MILES at an average pace of 8:55 with a couple of miles at 8:00. I feel much better about my target of sub 50 for the Great Ireland Run now :D

I've been reading all the brilliant race reports from Conn, what athletes we have on boards! Think I might have to sign up for next years challenge at what distance remains to be seen....

Looks like sub 50 is def within reach for GIR. Conn is a must for sure, I'm an absolute convert now :D

Well done on today's run, nice pace. It sure was crazy weather wise out there. What doesn't kill us, eh? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies! Did feel quite strong today JC. As for Conn which distance are you looking at Shaz? If I get my target time in DCM it'll have to be the Ultra for me:eek:

Just back from a run. The weather was brighter but wind a bit stronger in places, I got caught in one shower but it was nice to cool down a bit :)

My legs felt really fresh for most of todays run which I was delighted with after yesterday's tempo run. Thought they were going to fall off at one point but they felt great again at the end of the Crumlin drag :D

7:25 miles @ 8:36 min

Nice bit of running the last few days cutex. Some wind out there today. The ultra :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi Cutex, welcome to the wonderful world of logs...there's no hiding now;) but it is a great motivator especially if you are not feeling the love for the run, you might just think twice about not going out when you want to keep you log up to date!!! Plus theres alway great support and plenty of banter on the logs:D

You are doing great running at the minute and like you I am definitely feeling the pull to Conn, but no way would an Ultra be within my capabilities at the minute, but maybe in a couple of years!!!! I am leaning toward the Full at the minute and nearer the time i could drop back to the half!!!!

Thanks Anne. I do feel the log pushes me out the door sometimes!

Good thing about Conn is you can sign up for one and drop back if you need to so think I'll go for the Ultra:eek: and then see if I chicken out nearer the time:D

Did the 5k with Ray today. It was a good race, no queues, good atmosphere and 2000 people on a Friday afternoon in the park :)

My hubbie made it after all, he made a great recovery from the accident and said he'd just take it easy going around. I really wanted to stick to a 8 min per mile pace as practise for the 10ks I have coming up. It was abit congested at the start but we overtook quite a few on the outside and soon settled into a nice pace. The first 2 k went by quick enough. Then we hit a hill on the 3k, it took it out of quite a few people but luckily enough I've done some hill reps on this so it wasn't as bad as it could have been(thanks Ecoli & my little brother!). We started to tire a bit on the last k but just pushedon. As we turned the corner for the finishing straight we put the foot down and sprinted over the line :D

There was no chip timing so unofficially this is my fastest 5k at 23:45::cool: really happy with this as my previous two 5k races were 29:57 & 27:44 (I think have to check the seconds?).

Am pretty tired now, we did a couple of miles warm up and ran back to the car so in total it was 7 miles today at various paces! Feet up for the rest of the day. I'm throwing a birthday party for my brother and niece tomorrow so that'll be an all day affair of eating and more eating:D

wow thats some improvement on your 5k time. well done you and the hubby glad to hear he is back on the road again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on a great improvement and well done to the hubby too, delighted he was able to do it. I hope your mam is feeling better and her foot is mending well.

Enjoy the party tomorrow...
    i'm off to our first football blitz in the morning, 6yr old son and 9yr old daughter are playing their first football matches so should be fun:D ...3yr old not impressed that shes not allowed play!!:rolleyes:

I have only managed one run so far this week and its so unlike me, but mentally & physicall tired so not stressing too much about missing a few runs...i will make them back up at some stage!!

That's brill, congrats on a nice new shiny PB. Those speed sessions are def standing to you. Enjoy the treats tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

You're flying well done great time there.

Well done L, fantastic time there. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your lovely posts:)

Legs are a bit wrecked today, will try and get out for a recovery run later if my family go home at a reasonable time:rolleyes:

Enjoy the football blitz Anne. It's great watching the kids do something new that involves tiring them out:D My 2 year old is the same about doing exactly the same as her older brother and sisters. They will catch up in no time and we won't have babies anymore :(. You put in so many great miles that an easy week will do you no harm. Although you'd have to take about a month off for me to get anywhere near your mileage. I tried to keep up with you at the start but not a hope, you are so dedicated!!!

Advertisement