Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 minutes peace to 3 hour LSR???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Hey Lynn,

Just found your log today - great work getting back to it, you'll be flying along soon. Best of luck with the upcoming 10ks!

Looking forward to reading about your progress! (...should probably start one of these things myself too!)

Aoife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Log going great already I see! They're some good runs you've got going on - nice and pacey in training and great racing! Keep it up :)

Cutex wrote: »

3 weeks to NKOTB, will try & get a Jon autograph for you

Woohoo! See you there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thanks everyone for your lovely posts:)

Legs are a bit wrecked today, will try and get out for a recovery run later if my family go home at a reasonable time:rolleyes:

Enjoy the football blitz Anne. It's great watching the kids do something new that involves tiring them out:D My 2 year old is the same about doing exactly the same as her older brother and sisters. They will catch up in no time and we won't have babies anymore :(. You put in so many great miles that an easy week will do you no harm. Although you'd have to take about a month off for me to get anywhere near your mileage. I tried to keep up with you at the start but not a hope, you are so dedicated!!!

Thanks cutex, it went well, even if sons claim to fame is "3 games of football and didn't get to touch the ball once"...God love him but it will get better I hope:D..i ran home from the football pitch, the long way so managed 2 runs this week!!!

Hope your Party went well and your legs are recovered!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

run44 wrote: »
    Hey Lynn,

Just found your log today - great work getting back to it, you'll be flying along soon. Best of luck with the upcoming 10ks!

Looking forward to reading about your progress! (...should probably start one of these things myself too!)

Aoife

Thanks Aoife. Now that I've been coerced into starting a log you definitely have to start one! I was given a week to start mine so you shall be extended the same courtesy-looking forward to reading about your continuing progress too:D

claralara wrote: »
    Log going great already I see! They're some good runs you've got going on - nice and pacey in training and great racing! Keep it up :)

Woohoo! See you there! :D

Hey CL, I'm enjoying reading about your exploits so much not sure how I have time to log my little runs! You really are inspirational, see you at the start of Conn next year although you'll be on your second dinner by the time I'm finished:rolleyes:

Can't believe you're going to see NKOTB too! I'm doing the meet & greet so the sleepless nights over what to wear and what to say will be starting soon-I feel
    like I'm 12 again:D Where are you sitting, I'll look out for you-I'm section B row 1-10 haven't bee told which one yet.

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Thanks cutex, it went well, even if sons claim to fame is "3 games of football and didn't get to touch the ball once"...God love him but it will get better I hope:D..i ran home from the football pitch, the long way so managed 2 runs this week!!!

Hope your Party went well and your legs are recovered!

Ah your poor little man! It was only his first day he'll be taking that ball in no time and when the other kids know him they'll be seeking him out especially if athletics is where his talents lie like his mammy. My son couldn't kick a ball to save his life but since he can whip the other kids asses in running all of a sudden they are passing him the ball and he's actually scoring-defenders can't catch him:D

Now seeing as this is a training log I better log some training:rolleyes:

Sunday - my legs were pretty sore after the race on Friday, strange how a little 5k wrecked me! I took this run easy enough, the first 3 miles I just couldn't get going but the last 1 and a half I felt great. Took awhile to warm up on this one!

4.6 miles @ 9:10 pace

Monday - the kids stayed in their Granny's on Sunday night so with a free morning myself & hubbie headed off to the Phoenix Park for a 10k run. He's building his mileage up again since coming back from runners knee so we took it nice and easy. We did a kind of trail run complete with grass, mud, water & various hills. It was fun not knowing what was coming next:D. After a lovely shower without "Mammy" being shouted once we headed up to MIL for a yummy roast dinner! What a great day:)

7 miles @ 9:43 pace

I'm running in the Great Ireland Run on Sunday so taking a day off today and running Wednesday & Thursday. My brother has offered to pace me so I can go for sub 50:eek: not sure if I'm ready for it yet but sure we'll give it a lash as Jack would say:D

Mathematically it's possible Man U could win the league by Sunday-could be a perfect day all round;)

Just went out for a 3 mile run yesterday as per Ecoli instructions. It'll be another 3 miler today nice & easy to prepare for Sunday! Tried to go slow yesterday and not look at my garmin through out. Felt really good though and pushed on a little more than I should have, will go slower today:o

3 miles @ 8:30 pace

On a separate note entirely what were Man U doing last night:eek: this football business is not good for the heart! Although I was decidedly calmer last night than in 1999. While 7 & a half pregnant I was jumping around like a lunatic watching the champions league final, seemed fine for me but my family members and friends were more stressed by me than the game :D. Funnily enough my son was a Liverpool fan for years like his dad, he has seen the error of his ways though & joined me on the good side :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Ah L I used to like you until you mentioned you were a Man U fan - I suppose everyone has their vices in life and thats yours :p

Best of luck on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great run today cutex, well done. Fingers crossed but I'd say it is in the bag :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Shaz!

Great Ireland Run

Well I completed my first 10k race yesterday and am feeling good:D

To be honest I had a horrible start to the day. My Sunday 15th of April started at midnight.....

My youngest daughter got chicken pox on Saturday, now my 5 year old had it last week and sailed through with calamine lotion & calpol so I foolishly thought this would be same:rolleyes: My baby girl could not sleep, therefore I could not sleep so sat on her bed until 3:30 when she was finally asleep. As I was about to leave the room my 5 year old started vomiting on the floor! This went on and off another 4 times with the baby awake too until 7:30 when we all fell asleep. This is not the preparation I had in mind for my first 10k race but thems the breaks!

Up at 10:30, breakfast for all and get ready for the off. My hubbie signed up for this at the last minute so we headed off together at 12. We met my brother there and after a bit of a warm up I needed to use the toilet and told the lads I'd be back in a minute. By the time I reached them again the orange wave, our wave, had started, whoops so waited in the white wave and went with them.

1-3k the first 3k was alright. The route was kind at this stage but I always take awhile to get warmed up. My brother was pacing us so that bit was going well.

4-8k Now this bit I loved! I felt great, so great that going up the khyber felt like I was running on the flat. Couldn't believe how easy it was. I felt this way right up to 8.5k.

8-10k This was a slog, the hills had taken it out of me and I was not enjoying myself at this stage. Just before 9k mark I heard screaming & shouting of my name and turned around to see the faithful Boards Cheerleading Squad full of smiles & encouragement-thanks ladies really needed that for the final push!
    As we passed the 9 k mark my brother informed me that we were slightly behind schedule and needed to push a little. Ha ha ha I felt like I had nothing left and the thought of it made me feel sick, thought I was going to get sick there and then-Scarlet:eek::eek::eek: luckily enough I didn't and found a little something more from somewhere. We pushed on and when I saw the 400m mark just went for it. We got faster and faster and ended in a sprint finish:D

I went out looking for sub 50 and according to my garmin my time was 49:45 so I'm thrilled. Especially since this is not an easy or PB course:D. Negative splits of 24:30 first 5k and 25:15 second 5k.

Sorry for the loooooong post, you'd swear I just ran an ultramarathon:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Wow, well done on a new PB despite almost everything going wrong the night before! Typical, eh? :rolleyes: Definitely a tough course for a PB - impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats on a great run, you must be delighted, especially with the less than ideal start to your day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done L after all those mommy duties that was a super performance.

run44 wrote: »
    Wow, well done on a new PB despite almost everything going wrong the night before! Typical, eh? :rolleyes: Definitely a tough course for a PB - impressive!

Thanks Aoife! I was apprehensive about going sub 50 on this course anyway but with the sleepless night I was laughing a the thought! Can't wait for the Samsung night run now, that was my backup plan for sub 50 so need a new one.....Any suggestions?

RubyK wrote: »
    Congrats on a great run, you must be delighted, especially with the less than ideal start to your day!

Thanks Ruby. Am delighted, bit tired now but nothing an early night tonight won't solve:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on your first 10k and thats a fantastic time...You must be delighted and hopefully you got a good nights sleep last night to make up for th night before:D Kids eh, their timing is ALWAYS impecable;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done L after all those mommy duties that was a super performance.

Thanks K. Need a day off now but no such luck, ah well will just have a go slow day instead! How's the tapering going?

Younganne wrote: »
    Congrats on your first 10k and thats a fantastic time...You must be delighted and hopefully you got a good nights sleep last night to make up for th night before:D Kids eh, their timing is ALWAYS impecable;)

Thanks Anne! Sleep was definitely better last night, hopefully I'll get her back into her own bed tonight and have a proper nights sleep.

Timing-ha ha. As long as they stay healthy for the next two weekends I'll be happy, famous last words......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done on your first 10k, that's a great run on a tough course.

• Advertisement

Thanks DJ! Am chuffed although just discovered Rosanna Davidson beat me by 3 seconds, maybe that's why my hubbie & brother stayed at my pace:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Thanks DJ! Am chuffed although just discovered Rosanna Davidson beat me by 3 seconds, maybe that's why my hubbie & brother stayed at my pace:eek:
    #

Fantastic race, congratulations! That is a great time on a tough course.

I'd be willing to bet Rosanna Davison was not up all night on Saturday with kids;)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done Cutex. You were flying when you passed us, I almost missed you. That was some horrible night you had for preparation. If you can pull a sub 50 after that god knows what youre capable of next!!!!

Well I'll been off the grid for awhile time to get back on!

After the great Ireland run I picked up my little ones stomach bug for 3 days:eek: Following this my other 3 kids got it one by one, so it was a week and a half without running and a lot of washing for me!

I finally got back out last Wednesday just for 4 miles but they felt really good. I had signed up for the samsung night run but with only one run in 2 weeks thought I'd just jog around and enjoy the sights. That all changed when the gun went off....

It was cold, wet, windy & miserable weather but I was buzzing! I had on my foil wrap thing that keeps you warm and I was toasty waiting for the off so no complaints to be honest. Going to invest in about a 1000 of them so I never run out:D

I ran this race with my husband and we were running 7:45 min miles so well on for a PB the disaster struck my poor hubbie-a nasty stitch that would not pass! He had it from 7.5 k til the last 100m. We slowed right down but still came in 50:57 so considering the conditions and stitch I'm thrilled with me time. Am dying to get out and smash my 49:40 now though :D It was an amazing experience, watching all those yellow tops running through the streets of Dublin City Centre on a dark wet & windy night! Especially being on one side of the quays and watching the faster runners run up the other side-brilliant!

I've decided to do Hal Higdons 5k intermediate plan for the next 8 weeks which will bring me up to the start of my 18 week Marathon training plan. Can't believe it's coming up to that time of year again:eek:

So yesterday it started...

3 miles @ 9:20 pace

Advertisement