Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool!!!!!

Options
  • 30-03-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭

When I was a teenager the epitome of cool was a pair of flared Levis and a bottle Charlie perfume...this came to mind when I was in a higley Piggly chemist last week and they had a bottle of Charlie perfume out on a shelf haven't seen it for years.

What was cool when you were a teenager.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Spring days, tap water, most swimming pools, upstairs in winter - no that was perishing cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

mariaalice wrote: »
    What was cool when you were a teenager?

Bell-bottomed hipster Levis or Wranglers. Had to cover the platform shoe/boot. A crios as a belt to tie around the jeans. Cheesecloth shirts. Long hair, for both sexes.

What do you call those sleeveless jumper type things boys used to wear?

Short-sleeved t-shirts over blouses (women).

Midi and maxi skirts.

Boots. With platforms, or cowboy boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

My Mum left me in the shoeshop with the owner. The proviso was that I got sensible shoes. On returning, she paid for the wrapped up shoebox. Then almost had a seizure at home when I put on the twin buckled, raised heel winkle-pickers. But I think she half expected it as I was 15 and this was 1964. I occasionally loaned them to a friend of mine for dances :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Remember as a kid, Dingo jeans were very popular....Adds we're plastered all over Dublin buses and this tune was the backing track to the TV add..

...was in a shop in West Cork earlier this year....old men's clothes shop ( that's an old shop that sells men's clothes:p) ...and what did I see but a big old Dingo Jeans sign just inside the door.....probably worth some money now..was like going back in time...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Bell-bottomed hipster Levis or Wranglers. Had to cover the platform shoe/boot. A crios as a belt to tie around the jeans. Cheesecloth shirts. Long hair, for both sexes.

What do you call those sleeveless jumper type things boys used to wear?

Tank top's?

also "wet look" boots and anyone remember crimpaline (sp?) material? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh yes, crimplene (I had to look up the spelling). And day-glo socks. And shift dresses that you could make from 3 yards of cotton fabric at 2/11 a yard on the market! Do you remember the craze for tapestry skirts - made from furnishing fabric I think, very cool, I really wanted one, didn't get one though.

We used get a reversible poplin coat in spring (when my mother was still buying, so that must have been around 15/16/17) We would go to the Whitsuntide services (Methodist) dressed up in the new coat and white cotton gloves, with a summer dress. Not really cool but felt very smart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Ditto all you said looksee. I remember being taken to Lady Nora's (is the name right?) in O'Connell Street for gloves for church. Ahhh, poplin, crimplene (there were sparks off the crimplene), then later on, white boots, pop-socks, pop-art, op-art, Mary Quant, Biba, dolling ourselves up in the office to parade up and down Grafton Street at lunchtime to see, and be seen. Heady days!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

When I was a teenager it was drainpipes, elf boots and shoulder pads. Big, frizzy hair.

bananarama15989.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Being a teenager in the 70's, the height of cool was a Chelsea Blazer, Oxford Bags, Penny Round Shirt and a pair of platforms! I can only thank god that I was slightly chubbier than the rest of my friends so could only admire from a distance (though did eventually find a Chelsea Blazer that fit me, so I was the bee's knee's for a while!) :D

Advertisement