Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defining this generation

• 30-03-2012 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

How would you define this generation? For example, in the past there was Punk, Rockers, the house scene, Grunge, etc, etc.

Every generation seemed to have a style or movement that defined them. But when I look at young 'uns today, all I can think of is androgyneity. As in, the boys look like girls, and vice versa. Can't think of anything else that is noteworthy.

Is this the most bland effort yet, or am I getting old and cranky?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Apathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The Internet Generation

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Apple/Smartphone generation? The meme generation? The skinny jean wearing generation... I don't know. I think you're getting old and cranky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Generation Idle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

That's not an easy question to answer bruv, innit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

The first generation that has grown up on a staple diet entirely of reality tv

chilling thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr Expired

Lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

A cat with bread around its head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Faith Hilling.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The Like/Unlike generation.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Exempting the "baby boom" after the war, there seems to be roughly the same proportion of births in society relative to population.

So what is a "generation" at all?

"punk" was a movement as much as a music type. I knew 50 year old ravers out with glowsticks (since "techno" was a music genre/revelation it wasn't indicative of age).

When does one generation stop and another start?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

The post-modern uniformity generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Boardsies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

The 'someone else will do it' generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The unlabel-able generation.

There's nothing really that defines young people these days: ie there's no cultural movement that's prominent (eg. punks, hippies, mods/rockers).

I can't really blame kids and teenagers entirely for that though: I think it's partly due to the fact that they're bombarded with so many different entertainment forms and practicioners that there's nothing in particular that comes to the fore and defines them.

Maybe "generation beige" would be apt though, as the result of this bombardment is that the blandest stuff gets to be the highest-profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Generation Kim Kardashian's fat arse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

happyman81 wrote: »
    How would you define this generation? For example, in the past there was Punk, Rockers, the house scene, Grunge, etc, etc.

Every generation seemed to have a style or movement that defined them. But when I look at young 'uns today, all I can think of is androgyneity. As in, the boys look like girls, and vice versa. Can't think of anything else that is noteworthy.

Is this the most bland effort yet, or am I getting old and cranky?
    A generation is thirty years, not the guys in the class beneath you.

Generation nannystate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Generation Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The #SWAG generation.

• Advertisement

Its deffinately one of the toughest generations to be in for a long while, they went from having it all as the Celtic cubs to having F/all and very few prospects on the horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

How are you defining this generation?

People who were born in the 2000s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

The duckface generation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's a bit of a pop culture myth that every young person in the 60's was a mod or rocker, and every young person in the 70's was a punk.

In each case, it was a very small minority.

Blisterman wrote: »
    It's a bit of a pop culture myth that every young person in the 60's was a mod or rocker, and every young person in the 70's was a punk.

In each case, it was a very small minority.

That's true; looking at the popular music of each decade shows that it's always the generic pop that sells most.

I think such groups did have a cultural presence greater than their numbers would suggest though.

Nowadays there isn't even a noticeable minority, except maybe emos :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Not everyone was a punk/mod/grunger in their day, there have always been a crap load of bland people out there. Similarly there have always been multiple subcultures: punks and metalheads, mods and new romantics, grungers and the next incarnation of punks. I'd say this generation will be remembered primarily for indie/electro, or possibly hip hop as it seems to be the only genre that is, at any recognisable level, more than a fashion statement, especially now that British and Irish scenes are seriously gathering momentum. Having said that it will probably wind up "the Facebook generation" or something equally stupid.

As an aside this is certainly not the first generation to be somewhat androgynous, in fact when I look at old episodes of top of the pops I'm inclined to think we aren't very androgynous at all, not truly anyway, the majority of people my age seem even more ridged in their presentation than my parents generation would have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The disenfranchised generation.

Not everyone was a punk/mod/grunger in their day, there have always been a crap load of bland people out there. Similarly there have always been multiple subcultures: punks and metalheads, mods and new romantics, grungers and the next incarnation of punks. I'd say this generation will be remembered primarily for indie/electro, or possibly hip hop as it seems to be the only genre that is, at any recognisable level, more than a fashion statement, especially now that British and Irish scenes are seriously gathering momentum. Having said that it will probably wind up "the Facebook generation" or something equally stupid.

As an aside this is certainly not the first generation to be somewhat androgynous, in fact when I look at old episodes of top of the pops I'm inclined to think we aren't very androgynous at all, not truly anyway, the majority of people my age seem even more ridged in their presentation than my parents generation would have been.

I think androgyny's always been around in some form or another as a fashion statement, even going back to the 17th and 18th century.
    It's probably because people's conceptions of gender roles, and masculinity in particular, tend to be fairly strict and not acknowledge the fluidity of people's gender identities, so people rebel against that by acting and dressing more androgynously.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Bananas in Pajamas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

How are you defining this generation?

People who were born in the 2000s?

I would assume 90's, if we were talking about the under 12's it would be Jedward and Bieber, not exactly the cultural forces of the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    A generation is thirty years, not the guys in the class beneath you.

I'm a thirty one year old risk analyst. Which class would that be, the working classes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 wasislos

she sells electric ego. hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Man Child Generation.

Grown men fiddling with phones, playing computer games for hours, obsessed with the features of the new iPhone/iPad/iPod (in fact anything made by Apple).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

happyman81 wrote: »
    I'm a thirty one year old risk analyst. Which class would that be, the working classes?

Hahaha wtf.

I'm pretty sure they meant the class in school beneath you, since they were talking about time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I'm 20, am I one of the "generation" you're talking about? :p

Mine was called "The Pokemon Kids" for a bit (being that Pokemon was super-popular when I was aged 8-10, ask almost any 18-22 year old and they'll tell you about it), then we were the Bebo Generation... Now I think we might be the Facebook Generation. Who knows?

I'm just sorry I missed punk...

Nowadays there isn't even a noticeable minority, except maybe emos :eek:.

You just have to know where to look ;) There are quite a few rock-bars and clubs around Dublin that do rather well. And emo isn't anywhere near as popular as it was around 2005. They morphed into scene kids (which was essentially the same thing but louder and in multi-colour - oh how I hated them...) and half of them are hipsters now. I'm not a huge fan of labels though, people (especially teenagers) start feeling like they have to fit the description to a T...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I see in Fight Club the strongest and smartest men who have ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see it squandered. Goddammit, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shít we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man; no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars. But we won't; and we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

-Tyler Durden

Sums it up pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Sums it up pretty well.
    "No goddamn life left for men anymore. Not here. This country, all that's left for men is money and pussy."

The Ice Harvest
    Yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

generation of vipers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

MyFacers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Generation WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Lost generation.

I would assume 90's, if we were talking about the under 12's it would be Jedward and Bieber, not exactly the cultural forces of the day...

Unfortunately they are selling a lot and hold a lot of sway - they are representing Ireland in the Eurovision and Bieber is getting props and coaching for some of the biggest artists in hip-hop and pop.

Both crap, I agree, but influential.

If it is the 90's then that is a big time difference. you have 22-13 year olds and in terms of music, tv and technology saturation there is a huge difference between those age groups even more so than previous generations.

(besides the internet/technology points every point in this thread is equally if not more true about past generations)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

I think mollycodled is the best term...

The past generations worked so hard to achieve the high standard of living, that todays youth dosnt really have to break there backs to get ahead.

Id love to see a survey result of people under 30, garantee ye most have been on 2 or 3 of the worlds continents. Own either a iPhone, iPad or something of equal value. **** all will have familys of there own as they will still be living with the folks...

Ugh...

I think mollycodled is the best term...

The past generations worked so hard to achieve the high standard of living, that todays youth dosnt really have to break there backs to get ahead.

Id love to see a survey result of people under 30, garantee ye most have been on 2 or 3 of the worlds continents. Own either a iPhone, iPad or something of equal value. **** all will have familys of there own as they will still be living with the folks...

Ugh...

Same with every generation. You have been further than your parents and your parents parents.

You had more technology than them.

I don't know what to make of your end "point" it seems very nonsensical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

So what's up with mainstream RnB and hip hop becoming synthesised dance music?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Same with every generation. You have been further than your parents and your parents parents.

You had more technology than them.

I don't know what to make of your end "point" it seems very nonsensical.

You're problely right, I'm just trying to decribe what I see from family and friends today and compare it to tales from the aul pair...

For example, a mate of mine, is 26, lives at home, claims the dole, dosnt pay anything to his ma, bascially plays xbox all day, spends his dole on weed, goes out once or twice every weekend...

That is a lifestyle that many a person that age in this country currently has and its something that would never be tolerated in past generations.

So thats where im getting mollycodled from...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

the faggy most have a tat generation

• Advertisement
Advertisement