Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Down-time for site maintenance...

• 30-03-2012 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

... should be on Sunday from 2-4am.

Best posts are posted on Saturday mornings. AH what do you think? Come on!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I am playing golf so I don't mind. If you get it changed I'll need to buy fluorescent golf balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It's great no need to set the alarm tomorrow morning, I can have a lie in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

A0 wrote: »

You expect them to work at 2-4 on a sunday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I have just fainted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

You expect them to work at 2-4 on a sunday night?

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Why not?

Believe it or not they are humans, humans who more than likely do not want to do site maintenance on a Sunday at 2-4 in the morning.

Why not?

What difference does it make when it is, can you not survive for two hours without Boards.ie. Some people will always find something to whine about.
    I think it should be every Saturday morning, give us all a lie in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There was a time when the site went down every night

Around four am or so

hondasam wrote: »
    What difference does it make when it is, can you not survive for two hours without Boards.ie. Some people will always find something to whine about.
    I think it should be every Saturday morning, give us all a lie in.

Yes, but 8-10am is a good time to be there. Site maintenance is usually done at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Why not?

Come on the working conditions at Boards Towers are bad enough.

http://kikiandlalaland.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/workers_at_triangle.png

• Advertisement

Believe it or not they are humans, humans who more than likely do not want to do site maintenance on a Sunday at 2-4 in the morning.

Disappointed... I thought they were super-humans...

Yes, but 8-10am is a good time to be there. Site maintenance is usually done at night.

How busy is boards on a Saturday morning? it's usually very quiet imo. No one gets up just to post on boards. Would you be posting every Sat am?

44leto wrote: »
    Come on the working conditions at Boards Towers are bad enough.

http://kikiandlalaland.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/workers_at_triangle.png

Cheers, you made me laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'll be in the cot anyway, plan on having a well earned lie in tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Strike.

How busy is boards on a Saturday morning? it's usually very quiet imo. No one gets up just to post on boards. Would you be posting every Sat am?

True, it's quiet but still not as quiet as it'd be on Sunday night.
    Well some people are up and posting, not getting up just to post on boards but still...
    Not sure, but often on Sat morning.

It'd be worse if Redtube was down on Sat morn :pac:

kfallon wrote: »
    It'd be worse if Redtube was down on Sat morn :pac:

Very true, wouldn't want my red tube to be down on Sat morning :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Best posts are posted on Saturday mornings. AH what do you think? Come on!

Get out of your parents basement and do something with your morning!

They'd find it suspicious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'll be in the cot anyway, plan on having a well earned **** tomorrow :D

FYP ;)

I'll be in the cot anyway, plan on having a well earned lie in tomorrow :D

I'm disappointed, with more than 6000 posts, I thought you'd be a posting machine with no lie in :cool:

True, it's quiet but still not as quiet as it'd be on Sunday night.
    Well some people are up and posting, not getting up just to post on boards but still...
    Not sure, but often on Sat morning.

Majority of posters will not even know there was downtime. Saturday am is when most people are not working, have a lie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No I do all my drunk posting early Sunday mornings.

Majority of posters will not even know there was downtime. Saturday am is when most people are not working, have a lie in.

Are you saying that when people are not working they are not posting? Or in other words, posters post when they are at work :eek:

Having a lie in is not good, it makes people fat.

I'm sure you'd be online if the site was up and running tomorrow.

Are you saying that when people are not working they are not posting? Or in other words, posters post when they are at work :eek:

Having a lie in is not good, it makes people fat.

I'm sure you'd be online if the site was up and running tomorrow.

I dunno what other posters do. You are taking this maintenance very serious. Will it really have that much of an effect on your posting?

I would not be online tomorrow am because I'm not working, I will be having a lie in.

I dunno what other posters do. You are taking this maintenance very serious. Will it really have that much of an effect on your posting?

I would not be online tomorrow am because I'm not working, I will be having a lie in.

Ah, just wanted to know what AH would say about my idea (it's not unusual to have a site maintenance at night tbh).

And no I don't take it very serious :D

stimpson wrote: »
    FYP ;)

That goes without saying :rolleyes:

Crafty 'pedal' around 8.30am and then sleep it off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Maybe it's Elizabeth Fritzl.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's Elizabeth Fritzl.

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

It will be the same mentality as Good Friday. People who never normally drink on a Friday will lose the run of themselves and go out and stock-up on booze so they can have a drink on Good Friday.

I suspect it will be the same tomorrow morning during the maintenance. Either people posting frantically between now and then, or being up in arms that they couldn't post/use boards during those hours.

G-Money wrote: »
    It will be the same mentality as Good Friday. People who never normally drink on a Friday will lose the run of themselves and go out and stock-up on booze so they can have a drink on Good Friday.

I suspect it will be the same tomorrow morning during the maintenance. Either people posting frantically between now and then, or being up in arms that they couldn't post/use boards during those hours.

There is some truth in what you say, although I won't waste my time drinking on Good Friday, I agree.
    My OP was an idea, as for example, the maintenance of our website (at work) is done at night.

8am is coming soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

There is some truth in what you say, although I won't waste my time drinking on Good Friday, I agree.
    My OP was an idea, as for example, the maintenance of our website (at work) is done at night.

8am is coming soon :)

We reviewed our traffic graphs when deciding on the time for this and found that 8-10 on a Saturday morning isn't hugely different to 2-4 on a Sunday morning. The quietest time would be 4-6am on a Sunday but doing maintenance at this time is a terrible idea. You'll be absolutely wrecked tired and not thinking clearly. If something goes wrong you'll probably struggle to think of a solution and your support resources are all in bed. Also, given the size of our DB one mistake and you could be looking at 3-4 hours additional downtime to rebuild things.

We know it's a pain for everyone when we take the site down but hopefully the fact that we got it back 20 minutes ahead of schedule is a positive. Also there shouldn't be any scheduled maintenance for a good while now as we fixed several issues in this window.

We reviewed our traffic graphs when deciding on the time for this and found that 8-10 on a Saturday morning isn't hugely different to 2-4 on a Sunday morning. The quietest time would be 4-6am on a Sunday but doing maintenance at this time is a terrible idea. You'll be absolutely wrecked tired and not thinking clearly. If something goes wrong you'll probably struggle to think of a solution and your support resources are all in bed. Also, given the size of our DB one mistake and you could be looking at 3-4 hours additional downtime to rebuild things.

We know it's a pain for everyone when we take the site down but hopefully the fact that we got it back 20 minutes ahead of schedule is a positive. Also there shouldn't be any scheduled maintenance for a good while now as we fixed several issues in this window.

You're a star Paddy, thanks for the detailed post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

OMG. Got up at 8 and ran straight to boards only to find it was down for two hours!!!!!!!!!

Let's hope it never happens again.
    Oh and bring back Amp!

• Advertisement

OMG. Got up at 8 and ran straight to boards only to find it was down for two hours!!!!!!!!!

Let's hope it never happens again.
    Oh and bring back Amp!

You didn't read the thread, I knew it'd be down this morning.

Haha, yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

You didn't read the thread, I knew it'd be down this morning.

Haha, yes!
    As I often say we're a little ahead of the curve here on boards, I mean were discussing the burning issues before they even reach the newspapers.
    We're fighting SOPA while the dogs on the street have no idea what it's all about.
    I'm proud to be part of this club :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

mikemac1 wrote: »
    There was a time when the site went down every night

Around four am or so

Urban legend

As I often say we're a little ahead of the curve here on boards, I mean were discussing the burning issues before they even reach the newspapers.
    We're fighting SOPA while the dogs on the street have no idea what it's all about.
    I'm proud to be part of this club :)

I'm not sure why you're posting this reply... anyway, I agree Boards is a good club.
    These "dogs" must be really disconnected to not know what is SOPA.
    Good luck with the fight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

You survived it didn't you?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

GO BOARDS PADDY....ure the man...woo hoo.....:D

You survived it didn't you?

:D

Yes I did and thankfully it's a nice morning, so it helped.

Logged back on Boards before 10am to check if it was up and running and it was! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Thanks the heavens, just got a taster as to what Dec 20 2012 is going to like, dont want to be too negative but we are all going to die

3 over par, crikey I would be good if I took it serious. A nice morning spent in the fresh air doing something fun, I hope Boards goes down permanently.:eek::pac:

Thanks the heavens, just got a taster as to what Dec 20 2012 is going to like, dont want to be too negative but we are all going to die

:eek: Don't tell me about it. Spacecraft is ready, just need to fix the gamma-ray and neutron spectrometer. Fingers crossed, hope to find an internet connection on Saturn...

Morning AO, you survived I see. It was great to have a lie in, boards should do this more regular on the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

3 over par, crikey I would be good if I took it serious. A nice morning spent in the fresh air doing something fun, I hope Boards goes down permanently.:eek::pac:

I don't :(

Morning AO, you survived I see. It was great to have a lie in, boards should do this more regular on the weekends.

Morning Hondasam, thanks. You say that as if you always have to get up because of Boards. You can have a lie in even when Boards is not down.

Nah, I didn't really mean it. Tis a wonderful community.

Poor danny, you were up early.:p
    Morning Hondasam, thanks. You say that as if you always have to get up because of Boards. You can have a lie in even when Boards is not down.

I know and now I have tried it I shall do it again tomorrow am. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement