Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25M UPC broadband and still slow Youtube!

• 30-03-2012 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I have just upgraded by home broadband to UPC 25Meg Broadband, which is so much faster that my previous 2.5meg Eircom phone line broadband.

However, when I'm on YouTube, some videos still have to buffer and are very slow.

Is this because where ever the videos are stored have slow upload speeds or is there a problem with my connection.
    I have ran a speed test and I'm getting around 23M

Thanks for you feedback..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I'm on 30MB broadband with upc and sometimes get slow buffering on youtube as well but it's just some videos that this happens with and some buffer really fast. youtube was always like that not sure if it is congestion on youtube itself but it could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Same prob here on 25mb, some youtube vids take a while to buffer, while other vids load up fast... you're not the only 1 experiencing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

A quick google says that it is youtubes crap servers that are the problem. same with all these people on googles site... http://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/b7JXLi5S_q4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I noticed that refreshing the page fixes this a lot of the time.
    After youtube removed the option to automatically switch to hd playback I wrote a greasemonkey script to append '&hd=1' to where it is applicable, which just so happens to refresh the page while doing so, thus removing the buffering problem for me.
    // ==UserScript==
    // @name           YouTube HD redirect by Frozen
    // @namespace      http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=469531
    // @summary        Always show youtube videos in high quality.
    // @description    If you visit a youtube link, and it's not set to the high-definition format, this script will redirect to the high-def version of the video. I.e. http://*youtube.com/watch?*&hd=1
    // @include        http://*youtube.com/watch?*
    // ==/UserScript==

// Do it bitch
    function is_frozen() {
      var hd = false;
      var new_url;
      var url = new String(window.location);

// Remove HTML anchor, pls.
      if (url.indexOf('#') > -1) url = url.split('#')[0];
      new_url = url;

// Make sure a querystring exists
      if (url.indexOf('?') > -1) {
        url = url.split('?')[1];
        var segments = url.split('&');

// Check to see if we currently have the requested format
        for (var i=0; i<segments.length; i++) {
          var current = segments[i].split('=');
          if (current[0] == "hd") hd = current[1];
          if (hd) break;
        }

// If not redirect to video in frozen format
        if (!hd) window.location = new_url + "&hd=1"
      }

// Not a video link
      return false;
    }

is_frozen();

To use this simply copy that (after reading to make sure that I haven't done anything malicious) into notepad and save it as "frozen.user.js"
    If using chrome you simply need to drag that file into an open chrome window and click 'Continue' on the dialogue which shows up in the bottom left of the window.

If using firefox, you're going to need to install 'greasemonkey' the addon can be found here once that is done just follow a the instructions on that web page and install the script.

For any other browsers - sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Folks,

i have the fibre Broadband 100mb with UPC.

could you tell me if the 100mb is the speed or the download limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Folks,

i have the fibre Broadband 100mb with UPC.

could you tell me if the 100mb is the speed or the download limit
    its the speedthe download limit is 500gb i believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

its the speedthe download limit is 500gb i believe

500b thats grand.

ive been watching a bit of netflix and got a bit paranoid

mrmorgan wrote: »
    500b thats grand.

ive been watching a bit of netflix and got a bit paranoid

A HD trailer on netflix would destroy your limit, if it were 100mb.;)

Youtube can be **** sometimes, not the ISProvidings fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

I'm having the same problem guys but not only youtube.
    I have my upc modem putting all traffic to my wndr3700 via dmz.
    Everything was fine up untill recently. My samsung smart tv that is connected via ethernet buffers on everything, Youtube Acetrax and any other video app, But it seems to be only HD stuff.

Same with my phones and stuff.. SD loads quick withou buffering. HD loads and then buffers and buffers and buffers.... But my speed test are coming back good..

Its frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Shamo

I had Magnet 5Mb before moving to UPC 50Mb and noticed video streaming is pretty slow most of the time. Sky go can buffer quite a lot even though if I then went to download a "Linux ISO" it'd get the full 50Mb. Same with Youtube. Just generally seems to be video streaming for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Is youtube running slow for others this morning, constant buffering for me on 30mb UPC. all other sites running perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭beya2009

Hi guys it seems like i have a bigger problem. Im back in college to do my masters for the year so i recently moved into a 3 bedroom apartment and broadband with upc@ 20mb is included in the rent which is well handy. I cealrly told my landlord whether the router was only shared withing people in each apartment or is it shared by the whole building and he told me its shared only in the apartment as each apartment has its own router.

So I put in the wep key and all and tested the speed with eircom speed test and it came up as 19.4 mb/s which is great but when i tried downloading a file which was 500mb it said its gonna take nearly 2 hours! lol So I thought my mind was playing tricks on me so i tried downloading another file and it was the same thing. i mean its taking just as long to download something like our 1.5 vodafone connection at home as we live in the country side.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Should i contact my landlord about this or upc?

Thanks for any help:)

beya2009 wrote: »
    Hi guys it seems like i have a bigger problem. Im back in college to do my masters for the year so i recently moved into a 3 bedroom apartment and broadband with upc@ 20mb is included in the rent which is well handy. I cealrly told my landlord whether the router was only shared withing people in each apartment or is it shared by the whole building and he told me its shared only in the apartment as each apartment has its own router.

So I put in the wep key and all and tested the speed with eircom speed test and it came up as 19.4 mb/s which is great but when i tried downloading a file which was 500mb it said its gonna take nearly 2 hours! lol So I thought my mind was playing tricks on me so i tried downloading another file and it was the same thing. i mean its taking just as long to download something like our 1.5 vodafone connection at home as we live in the country side.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Should i contact my landlord about this or upc?

Thanks for any help:)
    Where are you trying to download from? It could be a terrible host and not your BB connection

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭beya2009

Where are you trying to download from? It could be a terrible host and not your BB connection

Hi im trying to download from this site:

can some try and download something from there because like you said it could be the site. Thanks:)

before you get in trouble id say you should remove that link. It's most definitely that site though. One of the worst methods of illegally downloading content. But there's your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Have people found using
    http://www.youtube.com/html5
    quicker to load than
    http://www.youtube.com

It seems to load quicker for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Youtube is rubbish for me on UPC 30Mb. I activate expat shield to get a proxy IP address and never a problem - apart from all the popup ads when it starts up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

I have the same problem. Since upgrading from 25mb to 100mb any kind of streaming has gotten much slower. It was never a problem with the 25mb but now its noticeably slower.

My download speeds are fine though!

I should stress its only Youtube thats a problem. Netflix for example streams perfectly in HD.

Youtube is fine via a proxy server. Everyrhing else is fine with my UPC IP address. So I conclude that UPC somehow 'processes' Youtube incorrecrly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

What proxy server do you use?

• Advertisement

ferike1 wrote: »
    What proxy server do you use?

I use Expat Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Terrynova3y2

I think it has something to do with the way YouTube automatically changes the quality of the video. Generally when I leave it to do it's business, videos will not stream properly, even though I'm on 60mb but if I manually change the quality to 1080p (or any other quality for that matter), it loads most videos straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Youtube is unbearably slow. It was fine last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

last couple of days here and youtube is pretty poor on the 50mb package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Random wrote: »
    last couple of days here and youtube is pretty poor on the 50mb package

+1 here.

I get buffering from time to time during playback @ only 360p.

Can anyone with a different ISP to UPC confirm if its slow for them also?

if I manually change the quality to 1080p (or any other quality for that matter), it loads most videos straight away.

I tried that. It worked first time and I thought "Great! Sorted!" Then it didn't work and hasn't since :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did they fvck something up at youtube towers in the name of progress? I'm on poverty BB but it was fine at say 360p now there are no end of little stutters when streaming "as live" material. Static music tracks are fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭ULMarc

This is the first time I've been on this subforum but I can only imagine this question comes up the whole time.

It's most definitely a congestion problem on YouTube's side. You've to understand that less popular and older videos are thrown into lower tier servers while all the new stuff is hosted on the frontline systems. Apart from this, new content faces issues with congestion just through the sheer number of users who try to access it. Finally, if a video is loading incorrectly then your particular request might have been mishandled by the server. You can refresh and this will solve it.

This is applicable to loads of sites but YouTube is probably the most prominent in users' minds because of the simple fact that you're making a load of page and video requests in 1 sitting. It's increasing your chances of a video loading incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ULMarc wrote: »
    This is the first time I've been on this subforum but I can only imagine this question comes up the whole time.

It's most definitely a congestion problem on YouTube's side. You've to understand that less popular and older videos are thrown into lower tier servers while all the new stuff is hosted on the frontline systems. Apart from this, new content faces issues with congestion just through the sheer number of users who try to access it. Finally, if a video is loading incorrectly then your particular request might have been mishandled by the server. You can refresh and this will solve it.

This is applicable to loads of sites but YouTube is probably the most prominent in users' minds because of the simple fact that you're making a load of page and video requests in 1 sitting. It's increasing your chances of a video loading incorrectly.

This isn't congestion, it's been like this for days at any & all times. If it was congestion, 720p wouldn't load faster than the SD streams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

Iv been doing some tests today as my Youtube buffering is crawling too on my UPC 100Mb package. At my parents we have 24mb eircom broadband and it buffers fantastically. I even tried buffering a Youtube video via tethering on my iPhone and that (surprisingly) flew along too and thats on 3's network. Yet on UPC its coming at a rate of about 300Kbs. I tested all on the same day with the same youtube video and on 720p every time. So for me at least it seems to be UPC at fault not Youtube. Might try that proxy idea! :D

Advertisement