Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25M UPC broadband and still slow Youtube!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

ULMarc wrote: »
    This is the first time I've been on this subforum but I can only imagine this question comes up the whole time.

It's most definitely a congestion problem on YouTube's side. You've to understand that less popular and older videos are thrown into lower tier servers while all the new stuff is hosted on the frontline systems. Apart from this, new content faces issues with congestion just through the sheer number of users who try to access it. Finally, if a video is loading incorrectly then your particular request might have been mishandled by the server. You can refresh and this will solve it.

This is applicable to loads of sites but YouTube is probably the most prominent in users' minds because of the simple fact that you're making a load of page and video requests in 1 sitting. It's increasing your chances of a video loading incorrectly.

If it's on Youtubes side then how come it's a problem with a UPC IP address, but not when I change my IP address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Only solution I've found is switching the video quality down to 360p.On 60mb in Clondalkin Village.

That's ridiculous.
    The whole point of UPC NGB is faster streaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

youtube has gone to the dogs in the last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm actually in Belgium at the moment on a totally different ISP (Numericable) and a similar high end package to UPC's 100mbit/s

YouTube's also pretty bad from here.

I think the problem is YouTube to be honest. All that extra HD content being streamed is possibly overwhelming their servers.

Lots of similar complaints online too : http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/VKjX2EuVgXk

Also, UPC has a new forum on boards :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1546

You might get more direct responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

That's ridiculous.
    The whole point of UPC NGB is faster streaming.

Streams perfectly on Dailymotion in HD,and no problems with buffering on 40D and RTE player or on Netflix in HD,just seems to be slow on Youtube.Even a 3 min or so music video is annoying to watch in 720p due to the buffering.

Streams perfectly on Dailymotion in HD,and no problems with buffering on 40D and RTE player or on Netflix in HD,just seems to be slow on Youtube.Even a 3 min or so music video is annoying to watch in 720p due to the buffering.

So many different experiences.
    I thought it was Youtube that was at fault in the beginning, glad it is and not UPC.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

One thing to try too is an opt into the HTML5 trial.

Go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 and opt in.

Your videos would then be streaming from different servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Terrible last 3 days. Gonna try HTML5 and see if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm just tried of seeing those ads by google for Ukrainian dates! :mad: They cause a little hiccup on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

youtube has gone to the dogs in the last week

Defo got worse , will have to try this on different OS/devices to nail down the problem.

HTML5, no help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

ED E wrote: »
    HTML5, no help.

Thats no surprise really.

Switching to it will not use different servers, its only the player thats different, not the media source.

waveform wrote: »
    Thats no surprise really.

Switching to it will not use different servers, its only the player thats different, not the media source.

Was taking Solair on face value, now that I think about it though that kind of duplication doesnt sound like google at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭ULMarc

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    If it's on Youtubes side then how come it's a problem with a UPC IP address, but not when I change my IP address?

But you still connect to the internet through your UPC connection.

You have to keep in mind that Youtube might deliver content differently based on location. If you have a strong connection to a US VPN then you might experience a better service than YouTube's organic global network.

Don't shoot me down. I'm only being realistic.

Advertisement