Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial Artists on Here! Current grades & clubs!

• 30-03-2012 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I think this is a good idea for a thread, because after following this forum for quite a bit, It's hard to make out who's speaking from actual experience and who's just posting stuff for the sake of it. I've started training in Martial Arts 9 months ago and am very eager to maybe take on a 2nd style, but havent decided which one yet.

I'll get the ball rolling on my current grade and club... I'm currently a Orange belt (7th Kyu) in Akarui-no-Chishiki-Kan Jiu-Jitsu with Jiu-Jitsu Ireland.

http://www.jiu-jitsu-ireland.com/default.asp

http://jiu-jitsu-ireland.org/

I'd be very interested to see who has what on this forum as I think it'd make a better community among the posters, if we all know a little bit about each other. Maybe us this thread to update you're grades when you achieve them etc...

Just an idea...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Not a bad idea but not all clubs/styles follow a grading/belt system. Also, from what I understand, there is debate as to what level or standard the same belt might represent across different styles... or even the same style but a different organisation.

Prehaps a 'kata-off' would solve the debate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Brilliant idea I'm a red tag(3rd kup) in ITA taekwondo

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Cool, im glad to see some think its a decent idea.

This might have to be cleared with the mods 1st, but maybe if we add our clubs link in with our grade information, it could make it easier for people interested in training, can get in touch with a current member of that club for references etc... also ye can make connections threw the forum so that ye have someone to go talk on the night if trying out a new place... again just an idea. :)

Peetrik wrote: »
    Not a bad idea but not all clubs/styles follow a grading/belt system. Also, from what I understand, there is debate as to what level or standard the same belt might represent across different styles... or even the same style but a different organisation.

Prehaps a 'kata-off' would solve the debate :)

Understandable, food for thought i suppose, maybe a mature level of discussion can put it all into perspective...

On the kata point, I currently have learned two, cant remember the names cause Im yet to buy my clubs syllabus, but one was a wrist-lock one and the other was a katana one. Both very enjoyable and I need to know more :p

Apologies, I ment the Kata thing as a (bad) joke, it was referancing previous thread debates, didn't mean to threadspoil.

So as not to be a nae'sayer and contribute, I'll post my fight record as its the closest thing I would have to a grade.

7 amateur (5,1,1) and 4 pro (3,1,0). Still a beginner-intermediate by most standards.

• Advertisement

haha i didn't think you we're thread spoiling man. I'm still fairly new to this forum, so it'll take me a while to catch onto the lingo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

First Purple belt or 5th kyu in Shotokan Karate (just last monday yippee)

Thats indicative of training two to three times weekly for about 18 months in DIT's Shotokan club
    Understandable, food for thought i suppose, maybe a mature level of discussion can put it all into perspective...

On the kata point, I currently have learned two, cant remember the names cause Im yet to buy my clubs syllabus, but one was a wrist-lock one and the other was a katana one. Both very enjoyable and I need to know more tongue.gif
    Interesting that you don't know the names. Its a big thing in our club to call our kata (bowing and calling out the name of the kata) before we start doing katas. I suppose its a just a funny style thing.

Interesting that you don't know the names. Its a big thing in our club to call our kata (bowing and calling out the name of the kata) before we start doing katas. I suppose its a just a funny style thing.

I know what you mean, everything is in Japanesse, locks, strikes, throws... I can remember most of the names, but we rarely do kata's, thats why I cant remember them of the top of my head. We only train on Tuesday nights so it's hard to go threw everything in 2hours and when new people come up, it tends to be a back to the start kinda buzz.

From chatting with the clubs seniors tho, i think up at the blue belt grade, you dont get away with not knowing your stuff anymore, as at that level your expected to know and perform everything perfect.

I've a little bit to go ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I know what you mean, everything is in Japanesse, locks, strikes, throws... I can remember most of the names, but we rarely do kata's, thats why I cant remember them of the top of my head. We only train on Tuesday nights so it's hard to go threw everything in 2hours and when new people come up, it tends to be a back to the start kinda buzz.

From chatting with the clubs seniors tho, i think up at the blue belt grade, you dont get away with not knowing your stuff anymore, as at that level your expected to know and perform everything perfect.

I've a little bit to go ;)
    We have something like that up untill green belt (6th kyu) you get a pass on etiquette but then you are expected to know things in Japanese and do all the formal stuff

We are kinda lucky that as a college club we tend to have new members at the beginning of each college year and when we come back after easter. Apart from then we don't really have many new members so our Sensei has a bit of a structure whereby he does a lot of basics in October and sometimes in January

We have something like that up untill green belt (6th kyu) you get a pass on etiquette but then you are expected to know things in Japanese and do all the formal stuff
    /QUOTE]

Taekwondo is the same you're expected to know the korean for things after a certain level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Judo brown belt here.. Training judo about nine years with Portmarnock Judo Club.

Also train BJJ with Rush Fight Academy although I'll most likely never bother grading, tbh I don't really see the point, for me its too similar to judo newaza - but thats just a personal thing with me, mostly other Judoka training in BJJ will grade at some point.

Although if I was to compete in a BJJ tourney, and I might when I stop competing in judo I'd be honest with the people running it and tell them my judo grade and years training & let them decide which category I fight.

Paul Cowzer is a great coach and has improved my Judo ground game immensely.

Kata - there are some in Judo.. Its almost never taught in a club unless someone needs it for their grading.. If I never practiced Kata again I wouldn't miss it, however having said that learning/studying Naga No Kata almost certainly helped be understand some aspects of breaking balance and the finer points of some throws.

And while a lot of people laugh at kata, before learning Naga No Kata I almost never used Uchi Mata. After learning Naga No Kata its one of my favourite throws.

A lot of people in martial arts inspire me, I'm almost afraid to mention them because I'll miss a few but off the top of my head.

Ray Stears, my coach in Portmarnock Judo Club. No matter what, if there's two people or twenty two people training he gives us 100%. Through sickness and injury he's never off the mat coaching and encouraging us to improve.

John Douglas, Tommy O'Hara and Donal Tannam from The Daigokan Judo Club. Between those three judoka/warriors there must be close on 140years judo experience.. John and Tommy are both in their 70's and never miss a night.

Andy Ryan - judo and BJJ his tough, no nonsense approach to training and get him talking about judo and you get a sense of the great love he has for the art.

Paul Cowzer, his tough and honest approach to life and training has seen me through the doldrums like no one else in recent years.

Nice thread OP.

Nice thread OP.

:D Thanks man. Great post too.

Has it taken you 9 years to get to Brown Belt? Just curious, has there is a lad in my club that has gotten his black after only 5 years. When I was told this, i thought it was a little soon no? but he does seem to know his stuff, so maybe its not...

and the Uchi Mata is a beast of a throw :cool:

:D Thanks man. Great post too.

Has it taken you 9 years to get to Brown Belt? Just curious, has there is a lad in my club that has gotten his black after only 5 years. When I was told this, i thought it was a little soon no? but he does seem to know his stuff, so maybe its not...

Well I've had a few nasty injuries which kept me out of training, worse of which was a dislocated foot - destroyed the ankle and kept me out of training for 18months and competition for over two years.

Plus I'm in the defence forces and so have had to miss gradings and competitions due to being away for one reason or another.

I guess its taking me longer than most, but honestly it doesn't bother me.

I guess like most people at the start of their training I was anxious to get the belt promotions but the further I got into my judo journey (and thats really whats its become) the race to my dan grade hasn't been my number one focus.

I'm 46 now, if I get it before I'm 50 I'll be very happy.. I know I'll have earned it :)
    and the Uchi Mata is a beast of a throw :cool:

The most beautiful throw in judo!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

BJJ blue belt here.
    Black belt in butt flopping though ;)
    Lookin out for somewhere in south west Dublin that trains judo on a Saturday mornig if ya know any?
    :)

BJJ blue belt here.

Where abouts do you do BJJ?

I'm curious to give it a try, to see the differences between it and the traditional stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

BJJ blue belt here.

Where abouts do you do BJJ?

I'm curious to give it a try, to see the differences between it and the traditional stuff...
    I do bjj in athy. There's clubs all over the country though. You're probably not too far from one.
    as for the differences it really depends on your style. I've been to traditional ju jitsu classes which are very good and involve live sparring and you really get a feel for what works.
    then I've been to some which involve constant drilling against a completely compliant partner who has been asked to throw a punch and leave their hand there so you can do your technique.
    another gem was an instructor demonstrating nerve locks for the street to the foot of a barefoot attacker.
    it all depends on your instructor really.
    So really depends on your own discipline. I haven't seen the video so will check it out when I'm at my computer

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

The problem with asking about grades is they dont give the same learning progression across arts that dont have much in common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

4th kyu bujinkan ninjutsu i also started training in thai boxing last summer but unfortunately havnt been training at all the past few months due to final year degree. will be starting back both in the next few weeks. wouldnt mind doing a bit of bjj in the daytime during the summer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭antybots

I did Shotokan Karate through my teens and got to 3rd brown belt. I gave it up for ITF TaeKwon-Do which I did through my twenties and early thirties and got to 3rd dan. I gave that up for Muay Thai for which I've been doing for the last year and a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

Blue Belt Judo here. Aint trained in a while as wife had twins.
    Done alot of MMA and BJJ in the last few years.

Miss my Old Judo Club in Clare.Closed down a good few years ago. :(

Nice thread OP.

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭irateghost

Im a 5th kyu in wado ryu from a long time ago. Was also training yang family tai chi for a while then went to chen style for about 3 years. Now im with kyokushin and just recieved my 6th kyu yellow belt.

The most beautiful throw in judo!.

Well Juliette Sharp Wimp, I have to say thank you :p

This throw was fresh in the mind all week due to this video and tonight in training nailed it during a full contact spar. Very proud of myself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

I'm fairly new to martial arts, been training with Mugendo kickboxing in coolock for about 7months. currently a white belt with two black tips (6th kyu).
    wish I took it up when I was younger.

recently had a my first fight as part of an inter club competition against other branches of mugendo, was nervous as F**K, but had great craic.
    (Im in the black head guard)

Round 1
    http://youtu.be/2Urb9-f0iNA

Round2
    http://youtu.be/DITPf6FXKtI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Just took up kickboxing, first lesson was last night :) my 12 year old daughter came along with me. we are both gonna keep it up.

Mother-daughter bonding kicking the c**p out of eachother :o

Banner martial arts.....

Fair play to ya both! will it be a friendly rivalry or will you be ultra competitive against each other! ;)
    Just took up kickboxing, first lesson was last night :) my 12 year old daughter came along with me. we are both gonna keep it up.

Mother-daughter bonding kicking the c**p out of eachother :o

Banner martial arts.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Fair play to ya both! will it be a friendly rivalry or will you be ultra competitive against each other! ;)

My daughter is very competitive, me im doing it to get fit and ive always wanted to do some sort of martial arts. I think my daughter will benefit from the experience she will be able to defend her self, she is already wondering when she can get her first belt.

She is quite fit (came 3rd in sports-hall all Ireland athletics competition) she wins the gold for sprints every year at school and has won a few horse riding comps, she came 5th in her schools cross country (out of 45 girls) and 24th in the county finals (out of over 100 girls). She will want to do better than me, i'll give her a hard time.

recently had a my first fight as part of an inter club competition against other branches of mugendo, was nervous as F**K, but had great craic.
    (Im in the black head guard)

Round 1
    http://youtu.be/2Urb9-f0iNA

Round2
    http://youtu.be/DITPf6FXKtI

Actually that would be a nice idea for a thread, footage of boardsies competing, I for one wouldn't mind seeing Makikomi dishing out the pain :)

Peetrik wrote: »
    Actually that would be a nice idea for a thread, footage of boardsies competing, I for one wouldn't mind seeing Makikomi dishing out the pain :)

lol you haven't read my post about my last comp have you?.

I lost six of my last six fights lol.

"if you're gonna be dumb you gotta to tough" would be apt for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

irateghost wrote: »
    Im a 5th kyu in wado ryu from a long time ago. Was also training yang family tai chi for a while then went to chen style for about 3 years. Now im with kyokushin and just recieved my 6th kyu yellow belt.

Which dojo? I'm 6th kyu also! :-)

• Advertisement

Ah the end results are just for bragging rights, its the fight itself thats the interesting bit.

Someone put a link to one of Cowzers fights up awhile ago, and I know one of Khannies fights is up on facetube if you know what to search for

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭garrybergin

lol you haven't read my post about my last comp have you?.

"if you're gonna be dumb you gotta to tough" would be apt for me :(

Told you before Martin, you didn't lose. You just found six more ways not to lose in the future,

Every competition is worth a hundred training sessions , chin up mate and get that black belt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Good idea for a thread

I've been training in Shotokan Karate for 15 years and I'm 3rd Dan (hence the naf username). I've also been doing BJJ a little over a year but it's only one night a week so I can't see myself grading for quite some time. I'm not in any hurry to grade but it's nice to have that goal to aim for.

I've been heavily involved in Karate competition for many years and I have one BJJ comp under my belt. I'm hoping to get a couple more BJJ comps in this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

I'm a 7th Kyu in Bujinkan Ninjitsu and recently started Mugendo Kickboxing which I love, got my white belt one tip 2 months ago. Knee has been acting up so haven't been able to train for the past 5 weeks.
    Waiting to hear from the physio to see if I can go back training :(

out of curiosity - what mugendo club do you train with?

hope your knee is on the mend!
    chrismon wrote: »
    I'm a 7th Kyushu in Bujinkan Ninjitsu and recently started Mugendo Kickboxing which I love, got my white belt one tip 2 months ago. Knee has been acting up so haven't been able to train for the past 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

chrismon wrote: »
    I'm a 7th Kyushu in Bujinkan Ninjitsu and recently started Mugendo Kickboxing which I love, got my white belt one tip 2 months ago. Knee has been acting up so haven't been able to train for the past 5 weeks.

That meens that you have one good knee and two good arms , there is still plenty of training that you can do, if you stop training every time you get a injury you will never train, injurys are just part of training, now all that depends how bad the knee is but if you can walk you can box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Good thread!
    I'm black belt in TKD (as might be guessed from my crap user name!).
    Will be doing it for 19 years this Oct!
    Took the scenic route and after 11 yrs got the 1st dan back in 2004!
    Haven't bothered grading since (more interested in sparring side and comps / doing other MA's than spending time on patterns / technical as needed for a grading).

Currently also do Combatives training maybe twice a month which is good fun.

Haven't graded in other arts but tried nearly all of them, from a couple of classes to a couple of months: chen tai chi, bujinkan, aikido, judo, ju jutsu, karate, wing chun, kickboxing, tai chi chuan (san shou), mma (good few months), boxing (1yr and from time to time in the tkd club as few boxers there) and bjj.

Have done a fair few months of BJJ over the last couple yrs but still pretty bad at it! The club near me moved, so might try and do some Judo (club beside me) over the summer months (while no tkd comps on!) for a bit more grappling experience.

Think that's about it!

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

out of curiosity - what mugendo club do you train with?

hope your knee is on the mend!
    Thanks very much.
    Training with Westside Athlone.
    OLDMAN1 wrote: »
    That meens that you have one good knee and two good arms , there is still plenty of training that you can do, if you stop training every time you get a injury you will never train, injurys are just part of training, now all that depends how bad the knee is but if you can walk you can box

Thanks for the support :)
    Going to attempt training on Monday with a knee support.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭irateghost

I train in mullingar dojo with sensei ken fitzpatrick and am really enjoying it.

TKD SC wrote: »
    Good thread!
    I'm black belt in TKD (as might be guessed from my crap user name!).

which organisation are you with? ITA,INTA,RITA ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Brown belt, Waza Kai Ju Jitsu system, 7 years training. Did some MMA a while back but I couldn't train and go to college 5 days a week. I had so much fun in Combat Sports Centre i was sad I had to stop. I'd love to train again there soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

which organisation are you with? ITA,INTA,RITA ect

With INTA. Although we all enter each other's competitions anyway!
    INTA and ITA linked to the same ITF re Euros and Worlds...re squad sessions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Red Tag in TKD (ITF)

Had to drop it about 5-6 years ago, moved home, got married had kid.

Started back a couple of weeks ago, always regretted not getting the black belt so all guns blazing now to get it

R

I wonder who will be the first to get a promotion since posting in this thread?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Darren Mahony

I started out kickboxing when I was a kid of about about 10 or so and did that for 7 years. I took up Kenpo Karate (Parker System) when I was 17 (but still include a lot of kickboxing in my training and teaching) and have been training in it ever since, 18 years and counting.
    I got my 4th Degree BB last Christmas 12 months and I am the head Instructor at Portlaoise Kenpo Karate Club. www.portlaoisekenpo.com (shamless plug)
    I dabble in other stuff such as sport karate, JJ, BJJ and edged weapon arts whenever I get the chance but thats very often really.
    Don't post on here very often tbh(do most of that on Kenpo dedicated discussion boards) but enjoy reading some of the threads here and keeping abreast of what happens in Ireland.
    Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Hi All,

I am a new member to Portmarnock Judo Club, under 5th Dan Ray Stears. Did a little bit of Judo last year, but only really getting into it this year.

Must say if anyone is interested in Martial Arts, or Judo, the club in Portmarnock is very welcoming, and all the lads are sound. Really enjoying it! Starting the journey to my Yellow Belt!

Did a little bit of Eskrima last year in Wild Geese. Very interesting Martial Art - would recommend it.

Did Makikomi welcome you with a O Goshi? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

The ones I am currently training in are;

HanMooDo in Tralee, I'm a brown belt (finally), between a hip injury and not having any other brown or black belts to train with it was hard to get it. One of these years I hope to get a black belt :D

Judo with Paul Cummins in Dublin, I did some judo in college years ago but this time I got around to doing a grading and got my yellow belt :) . I'm moving back to Tralee permanently though so I hope to continue with the club down there.

Thought I'd give this a bump to see if anyone has made any progress

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Hi folks,

Since my last post on this thread, I received my Yellow Belt from Ray and after a week off to enjoy the Euro 2012 comp, I will be back studying for my Orange Belt very shortly.

Seems that the bit of Judo I did last year stood to me.

Delighted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭antybots

I've had 6 amateur Muay Thai fights since I posted last.

• Advertisement
Advertisement